In this article, we will be discussing various ways to catch fruit flies and remedies to get rid of them. Now, What exactly are fruit flies? You must have evidenced few tiny winged insects humming around rotten fruits in your kitchen. Some fruits that are left outside, especially during summers, tend to rot due to the heat and humidity in the atmosphere. This makes them prone to fruit flies.
Fruit flies have a very short lifespan from eggs to adulthood, that varies from 8-10 days. This also means that they reproduce and multiply rapidly in number. They are mostly found in damp places of your house. These places include the sink, drains and garbage disposal area. They are also attracted to rotten fruits and other foods that have started to rot.
Fruit flies look like gnats but, are a bit larger in size and their color also varies. Fruit flies have slightly brownish heads while gnats are fully black. Though these differences sound very big, but because of the size, it cannot be pointed out with naked eyes unless you use a microscope.
Below are a few traps DIY’s to catch fruit flies and remedies to get rid of these nasty insects:
Best Ways to Catch Fruit Flies
1.) ACV Trap to Catch Fruit Flies
Fruit flies just can’t resist the fumes that release during the process of fermentation. Apple Cider Vinegar is obtained by fermenting the apples. This is a mouth slurping drink for these flies and thus, the trap help to catch fruit flies easily.
Things You Need:
- A mason jar.
- A funnel, easily prepared at home.
- Apple Cider vinegar half a cup.
- Also a rotten fruit. (optional)
- Heat the ACV and pour it into the mason jar.
- Choose the jar that is deep enough for the flies to drown.
- Also, add a drop of dishwashing liquid.
- This will reduce surface tension and won’t let the flies escape.
- Put the rotten fruit into the jar and now, place the funnel on the mouth of the jar.
- Make a funnel with a piece of paper by rolling it up and taping the ends to hold it in place.
- The flies will finally get into the jar, tempted from the vinegar, but won’t find the way to get out and drown.
- If they don’t, then place the setup as it is in the freezer.
2.) Jar-Type Trap to Catch Fruit Flies
Nothing is more luring than rotten fruits to catch fruit flies. We all know that they love the smell of fermentation. This attracts and helps to catch fruit flies easily.
Things You Need:
- A glass jar.
- Plastic wrap or clear foil.
- Soap and water solution.
- Rotten fruits.
- Place small pieces of rotten fruit in the bottom of the glass jar.
- Seal it with a plastic wrap using a rubber band.
- Poke holes in the plastic wrap using a toothpick.
- Place the jar at different sites of the house where you find fruit flies the most.
- The flies will get into the jar tempted with the bait offered to them and won’t find the way out.
- Now submerge the jar in warm soapy water so that the flies drown in it.
- Finally rinse out the jar, refill and reuse the trap.
- This is an effective remedy to catch fruit flies.
3.) Merry Fly Trap to Catch Fruit Flies
Yes, the flies can also get drunk like humans. They are easily tempted with red wine and congregate on the leftovers if kept in the open environment. This is a very effective trap that helps to catch fruit flies easily.
Things You Need:
- Red wine leftovers.
- Red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar can also be used.
- Either use the red wine leftovers or add a small amount of wine to a glass jar or bottle.
- In enough quantity to stay at the base.
- Set this bottle at the place where flies congregate the most.
- The flies will attract to it easily.
- Finally seal the opening of the bottle as this won’t let the flies escape and they will die a merry death.
4.) Tried and Tested Traps
This trap idea comes from Old Farmer’s Almanac and is being used in England since 1850’s in order to get rid of fruit flies.
Things You Need:
- A glass of milk.
- 1/4th pound of raw sugar.
- 2 ounces of powdered pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Now pour it into 2 or 3 shallow serving dish (or as required) and place them at the most congregated fruit fly sites of the house.
- The flies will get attracted to the mixture and quickly suffocate because of the pepper powder.
- Thus, they will drown and die.
- You can also add a few drops of dish washing soap if the flies still manage to escape.
5.) Lemongrass Spray Trick
Lemongrass helps to keep the flies away, including various other pests. It won’t kill them anyway.
Things You Need:
- Lemongrass Essential Oil.
- A spray Bottle (clean).
- 2 ounces of hot water.
- Add 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil to the spray bottle filled with hot water.
- Shake the bottle well to mix the ingredients.
- Now, spray this solution directly on the flies at the windowsills and doorways.
- Or anywhere the flies congregate.
- It also leaves a nice fresh smell and helps to get rid of fruit flies.
These DIY’s are a few natural home remedies which will help you to catch fruit flies without using any harmful chemicals.
6.) Terro Fly Trap to Catch Fruit Flies
- If you are too busy to prepare any trap, though they aren’t time taking. But if you still cannot manage time then you can opt for this effective alternative.
- This trap comes ready-made in the shape of an apple. You just need to pour your ingredients. (Fluid recommended)
- The flies will get attracted to the fluid and get inside the apple shape container.
- It is difficult for flies to analyze and find a way out easily, thus they are easily trapped inside.
7.) Fly Web Trap to Catch Fruit Flies
- This is also a ready-made solution for all those lazy lads. This trap works on a light source that attracts fruit flies and all other sorts of insects into the enclosure.
- Once they enter, the adhesive substance inside the enclosure traps them, not letting a chance to escape.
8.) Regular Trash Disposal
- It is very important to dispose of the trash regularly and also to avoid storing it for days.
- If you cannot manage time, then do cover the area where your trash is kept and do not let it rot.
- Flies get attracted to its odor. So cover the place using materials that either absorbs the smell or do not let it escape.
- Newspapers are the best option used to cover the area without spending any bucks.
9.) Keep the Sink Clean
Fruit flies also congregate in the sink, attracted to the smell of rotten food particles. So, you need to keep the area clean and wash it using kitchen friendly disinfectants.
10.) Pot Soil Attracts Fruit Flies
- If you have kept indoor plants, then they are also a source that attracts flies.
- It also initiates their breeding process.
- You have to use best quality soil for at least indoor plants if not for all.
- You may also have to keep on changing the soil, once you evidence any fruit fly buzzing around it.
Maintaining proper hygiene and healthy environment is very much necessary. This also helps to avoid fruit flies in your house and anywhere around, making it easier to get rid of them.