In this article, we are going to discuss several effective remedies to clear a stuffy nose. Stuffy nose is also known as nasal congestion. It irritates if we have any blockage in the nose. Because it unable you breathe easily. This can lead to a pain that won’t let you sleep properly. Sometimes it gets very embarrassing when you sneeze in public. A stuffy nose is caused by inflammation in the blood vessels inside the nostrils’ membranes lining. In this article, we bring you some natural and home remedies to treat a stuffy nose faster at home.
Causes of Stuffy Nose: –
- Change in weather.
- Chemical irritation.
- Hay fever.
Symptoms of Stuffy Nose: –
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Pain in Sinus.
- Blockage in nose.
- Swelling in nasal tissues.
- Swelling in eyes.
- Watery eyes.
Top Home Remedies to Treat a Stuffy Nose
1.) Cinnamon and Honey Syrup to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose:
There are 100 varieties of cinnamon. The most common varieties of cinnamon are Ceylon and cassia. Both the varieties used for cooking and medical purpose. Cinnamon is highly rich in antioxidant activity. It has anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral. It is a good source of fiber, iron, and calcium. It also reduces the blood sugar from the body. Honey has antibacterial properties that treat the inflammation and provide comfort in breathing.
- In a pan, pour two teaspoons of honey and turn on the flame.
- Now add a pinch of cinnamon and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and add some lemon juice.
- Consume it two or three times in a day to clear a stuffy nose. You will see the results instantly.
- Apart from cinnamon and honey syrup, you can use cinnamon with ginger also.
2.) Spiced Tea to Clear a Stuffy Nose:
Spiced tea is always good for any problem that is associated with health. Spiced tea is contains various herbs that are good for the immune system and clear the unwanted stuff from the nose. The ingredients spiced tea includes are rich in antibacterial, antioxidant properties.
- The spiced tea is very easy to make just like a simple tea. Take a tea pan, boil some water and add tea leaves, cardamom, ginger, sugar, cloves, and black pepper.
- Boil it for 5-7 minutes. Now add milk and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Have this spiced tea twice in a day to clear a stuffy nose.
3.) Jaggery Water to Treat a Stuffy Nose:
The nature of jaggery is hot, and we often have a stuffy nose in winters and coldness can be a cause of stuffy nose so the intake of jaggery in stuffy nose provides relief and clear stuff from the nose. The taste of jaggery is also good.
- Pour a cup of water in a bowl and turn on the flame.
- Add some jaggery in the water and allow it to melt properly.
- When jaggery melt properly, add a half teaspoon of cumin and a half teaspoon of pepper in the mixture.
- Consume it when its cool down and do not burn your mouth.
- Have it once in a day and you see results in 3-4 days.
- You will get rid of nasal congestion.
4.) Ginger and Salt to Clear Stuffy Nose:
Ginger has the properties which can fight off with cold and cough. It is an antiviral ingredient, which fights against illness and bacteria. Ginger also brings down the body temperature. We all know that ginger is an age old remedy, which is used for cooking purpose and for medical purpose. It can cure many infections.
- Take a ginger root and cut into slices, if you want you can add some salt on ginger slices and chew these slices.
- Ginger will give you the relief in congestion.
- Take this twice or thrice in a day and clear a stuffy nose faster.
5.) Eat Garlic and Ginger Paste to Treat a Stuffy Nose:
Garlic is rich in properties such as antioxidant, antimicrobial and antibiotic, which boost the immune system and reduce the inflammation in the blood vessel. It heals the infection of the stuffy nose and fights off with germs.
Ginger is antibacterial and provides relief in a speedy way. It flushes the toxins out from the body and boosts blood circulation of the body and fights against the infection causing stuffy nose. It is a natural antiviral remedy to clear a stuffy nose.
Directions: –Wash a small piece of ginger and 3-4 cloves of garlic with clean water.
- Simply grate them and mix together and the paste is ready to consume.
- Have it in every 2-3 hours to clear a stuffy nose faster. Though the taste and smell of garlic and ginger are not so good, but this remedy will definitely give relief to you.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose: –
Apple cider vinegar contains the high level of antibacterial efficiency and if you mix it with honey it gives the best results. It also helps soothe the soreness of the throat.
- In a cup of warm water add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 teaspoons of honey. You can add honey as per your requirement.
- Drink it once in a day until you get relief to clear a stuffy nose.
7.) Steam to Ease congestion to Clear a Stuffy Nose: –
Steam is also one of the best remedies that work faster and easier in a stuffy nose. The moisture and heat of the steam provide relief in inflammation and reduce the problem of breathing. There are many ways to take steam: –
- You can take a steamy shower. Close the door and windows of the bathroom and do not forget to close the bottom of the bathroom door. The steam should not escape. Turn up the temperature and if you do not want to bath, simply on the shower and let the steam come.
- You can take steam directly from the steamer or steam pot. But make sure you do not burn yourself.
- Alternatively, you can use a humidifier. You can use humidifier especially when you are going to sleep. To make it more effective cover yourself and humidifier with a blanket.
8.) Compress Over the Nose to Clear a Stuffy Nose: –
For this remedy, you have to be a little patient. Compress over your nose will take a few rounds to provide some benefits. But definitely, it is worth the wait. You can use compress while listening to music or relaxing or watching TV.
- Take a cloth and wet it in the hot water. Make sure the water should not be very hot as you are going to use it for the skin. Lie down and place the cloth over the bridge of the nose. It should cover the sinuses area. Repeat the process until you feel a relaxation.
9.) Hydrate Yourself to Clear Stuffy Nose: –
Drink water as much as you can drink and keep your fluid diet activated. Hydration will keep your mucus thin so that it can easily expel. This will soothe your nasal and prevent you from sinus blockage. Tea and soup will be a better fluid diet.
10.) Sleep in Right Position to Clear Stuffy Nose: –
Congestion gets worse when you lie down on the bed, in order to avoid this rest in an upright position. If you want you can put an extra pillow beneath your head.
Prevention to Clear a Stuffy Nose:
- If your nose is stuffy then do not blow your nose. Because blowing your nose when it is stuffy can make the congestion worse. Use a tissue if you have a runny nose, otherwise walk away from the tissues.
- Stay at home and take proper rest. Your body is very sensitive, at least give your body some rest when you are not well and keep checking your fever simultaneously.
- If you are taking any antibiotics, then be smart about them. They can treat some infections but this not you body actually want. Because stuffy nose or cold cannot be treated with any antibiotic. Since the cause of your stuffy nose is viral.
There were some home treatments to clear a stuffy nose quickly. Some of them work overnight also. So if you have stuffy nose and not able to concentrate on your work, then try these simple remedies and get rid of your stuffy nose. These remedies are completely natural and safe for you.