In this article, we will discuss a few home remedies to clear sinuses. But, lets first know about the infection, its causes, and symptoms. Sinus or Sinusitis is an inflammation or swelling of the tissue that surrounds the sinuses. Typically, these sinuses are filled with air. When they are blocked and filled with fluid, germs like bacteria, viruses, and fungi, they can grow and cause infection. Causes of sinus blockage include common cold, allergic rhinitis, swelling in the lining of the nose, nasal polyps. This is a small growth in the lining of the nose or a deviated septum i.e. a slight shift in the nasal cavity.
Types Of Sinuses Infections
Acute– With the symptoms of cold, such as a runny nose, stuffy nose and facial pain that starts suddenly. It does not go away even after 10-14 days. It can usually last for about 4 weeks and even less.
Sub-acute– An inflammation that lasts for 4-8 weeks.
Chronic– An infection that lasts for about 2 weeks or even longer.
Recurrent– The patient gets several attacks within a year.
Causes of Sinusitis
A sinus infection is more likely to affect a person who has:
- Swelling in the nose.
- Blockage in the drainage ducts.
- Nasal Polyps.
- Narrow nose ducts.
- Deficient immune system or medications that suppress the immune system.
- Smoking is the main risk factor in adults.
- In children, it may be caused due to allergies.
- Direct contact with other kids carrying sinus infection.
- Bottle feeding while lying on the back, smoke allergy and pacifiers.
Signs and Symptoms of Sinuses
- Facial pressure or pain
- Nasal pain and stuffiness
- Loss of smell and nasal discharge (thick and yellow)
- A cough or congestion
- Bad breath
These are unveiled after 8 weeks or more:
- A feeling of congestion or fullness of the face.
- Blockage or pus in the nasal cavity.
- Fever, discolored postnasal drainage.
Top Remedies to Clear Sinuses
1.) Turmeric Helps to Clear Sinuses
Turmeric root is a wonderful remedy to treat a sinus infection. It has natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. When combined with ginger root to brew a hot tea. The combination not only sounds tasty but also helps you to clear sinuses quickly. It loosens the mucus from the clogged nasal passages, alleviates sinus pressure and ease discomfort.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric and freshly crushed ginger root to a pot of boiling water.
- Brew it to prepare a tea and add honey for a little sweetening.
- Drink this tea twice or thrice daily to clear sinuses.
2.) ACV to Clear Sinuses
Apple Cider Vinegar is a wonderful remedy having a huge array of health benefits. This helps to clear sinus infection.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of raw ACV that has the mother to a glass of hot water.
- Drink it thrice a day to get rid of sinus infection.
- It can also be used as a nasal rinse to clear out mucus.
- Use a nati pot and fill it with lukewarm water.
- Add a few drops of ACV and pour water in the right nostril through the nozzle of the nati pot.
- Do this will bending your head down to avoid inhaling the water.
- Let the water drain out from the other nostril.
- Repeat this with the left nostril to complete the circle.
3.) Grapefruit Seed Extract to Clear Sinuses
It is a natural antibiotic agent that helps to clear sinuses. It helps in loosening the blocked nasal path and clear out mucus.
- Grind the GSE to fine powdery consistency.
- Mix water to form a solution.
- Use it as a nasal spray to clear out congestion.
4.) Salt Water Rinse to Clear Sinuses
Salt water helps to clear out and loosen mucus and any inhaled contaminants that are caught in there and cause infection.
- Fill your nati pot with hot salted water.
- Use it as a nasal wash to ease congestion and clear out the mucus.
- You can irrigate your nasal path with the solution and nati pot will make it easier for you.
5.) Steam Inhalation for Sinuses
Steam helps to ease congestion by breaking up the stuffed mucus.
- Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil or Peppermint oil to a pot of boiling water.
- Then place your face over it and cover with a towel.
- This will not let the steam escape.
- Finally helping you to ease the infection.
- Humidifier also gives the same effect with the added essential oil.
6.) Activating the Pressure Points
In order to get temporary relief from congestion and closed nasal passages, try a quick face massage. Mentioned below are five steps to perform and clear Sinuses:
Step 1. Commence the exercise with points on each side of your nose. Applying gentle pressure and rotating the index finger. Do it for 10 seconds till the two nostrils are closed.
Step 2. Now come to the points a bit above the inner corners of the eye. Use two index fingers this time and rotate for 10 seconds.
Step 3. Move to the cheekbones just beside your nostrils. Apply the same amount of pressure for again 10 seconds.
Step 4. Now use two index fingers and stroke your cheekbones to the ears. Apply some pressure behind the earlobe. This will be done for 20 seconds.
Step 5. Gently massage the earlobe for no less than 30 seconds.
These five steps give magical results to clear sinuses.
7.) Fermented Cod Liver Oil
FCLO is known to be rich in Vitamins D and A as well as Omega-3 fatty acids. The process of fermentation does not harm the nutrients of the oil, instead, it adds to the health benefits of FCLO.
- You can take FCOL capsules after or before meals.
- As an alternative you can mix it with your smoothies, making it easy to tolerate the taste.
- Mix FCLO with ginger or lemon juice to change the taste.
- You can also mix it with yogurt or raw cream.
- Blend FCLO and honey together and have a spoon full of it.
- The only option is to take a deep breath and gulp a spoon full of FCLO as a medicine, ignoring the taste.
- Some of the parents also rub their baby’s bosoms with FCLO. They find it an easier and faster way to absorb its nutrients into the baby’s body without any fuss.
8.) Dissolving Excess Mucus
- Food items like cayenne pepper or horseradish can be mixed with ACV and lemon juice.
- Make a solution and use as nasal drops or rinse.
- It will also help you ease congestion and clear out sinuses.
9.) The Yoga Poses to Clear Sinuses
Nasal cleansing with a thread:
- First, sit in Kagasana pose,
- Now insert one side of the thread from one of the nostrils.
- Try to get it in the back of your throat. Catch the end and drag it out from your mouth.
- Make to and fro movements of the thread,
- Continue this for at least 10 rounds.
- Take the thread out and repeat it with the other nostril.
Note- Not everyone those who suffer from nose bleeding should try Sutraneti.
Nasal cleansing with water.
- Use a natipot in this exercise.
- Take salted lukewarm water and fill in the natipot.
- Put the nozzle of the natipot into the active nostril.
- Tilt your head to let the water flow inside your nasal path.
- Your mouth should be open and the body relaxed while performing the exercise.
- After completion go for the other nostril.
- Continuous mouth breathing is essential during the whole process.
It is known for cleansing of frontal brain.
- Sit in any meditative posture you are comfortable with.
- Inhale in and out deeply and firmly.
- Apply force while exhaling the air involving the contraction of abdominal muscles.
- Repeat the above steps for at least 10 minutes. For beginners only 2-3 minutes recommended.
- Shoulder movement is necessary while performing.
Note-Person suffering from hyperacidity should not perform this exercise.
d.) Bhastrika Pranayama
This yoga pose involves rapid breathing.
- Sit in any meditative pose, Padmasana preferred.
- Commence with slow and firm breathing.
- Gradually increase the intensity of breathing similar to a blacksmith’s bellows.
- Now relax your body and bring the breaths down to a normal rate.
- Again, start the same process for 10 minutes.
- A total of 3 rounds is to be performed.
- A hissing sound comes out of the nose while performing the exercise.
Note- Patients with heart disorders and BP are not recommended for this exercise.
Note- Relaxing your body is very much necessary after performing this exercise as it heats up your body.
e.) Anulom Vilom Pranayama
This asana helps purify the nasal path by elimination congestion.
- Sit in any meditative or comfortable position and close your eyes.
- Your back and neck should be straight so that the back is perpendicular to your waist.
- Now, place your right thumb on your right nostril and slowly start inhaling through the active nostril.
- Do the same with your left nostril and inhale with the other one.
- This is the whole cycle.
- You have to perform 10 such cycles and increase the count with time.
10.) Exercises to Relieve Sinus:
To Relieve Frontal Sinus:
Use the point on the bridge of the nose. It is located in the indentation of your upper eye socket where the bridge meets the eyebrows.
To Ease Maxillary Sinus:
Use the foremost points that are located underneath your eyes and below your cheekbones. This will clear this type of sinus. Gently put pressure on these points.
They are safe and easy to be taught to the children.
To Release Stress:
- Gently apply pressure to the points located below your eyes and near to the nostrils.
- Hold these points for about 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, release the points by gently decreasing the pressure applied and breathe slowly and deeply.
Light Touch on the Points:
- It is also a very important to gain energy and regulate its flow in the body.
- As a result it will seal the pressure points and give long-lasting results.
- The point between the finger webs of your hands that is located between your index finger and thumb. It is the distal pressure point to relieve the pain.
- They are also known as the nasal decongestant points that have an antihistamine effect. This brings the blocked energy downwards.