In my previous article” How to get rid of a Hangover?”, we discussed its causes, symptoms and a few natural remedies that help to cure a hangover effectively. We really hope that the article, including the natural remedies, must have proved quite effective in helping you to cope up with the after mornings of a heavy alcoholic night party. This writing piece is in continuation to my previous article and here we will discuss a few more of those natural remedies that can help to aid the symptoms of heavy drinking.
Before we start, let’s discuss Hangover again with the help of a quick recap article.
“The Recap Article”
On the next morning to the night of an overconsumption of alcohol, you tend to suffer a few unpleasant symptoms that include a headache, nausea, vomiting, etc. This is referred as a hangover. Consumption of ethanol present in all the liquors causes an unpleasant physiological and psychological effect on an individual’s body. These effects can last for up to 24 hours, followed by a few conditions that include:
- Dry mouth
- Body aches.
- Photophobia that means sensitivity to light.
- Halitosis that means bad breath.
- Gastrointestinal distress.
These factors are also referred as a few common symptoms of a hangover. They typically occur after the intoxication effect of alcohol begins to wear off from the body and the functions come back to normal.
Some other severe symptoms of hangover include:
- Pale skin with a blue tinge.
- The patient loses consciousness.
- Irregular breathing rhythm.
- Confusion or stupor.
Causes of Hangover
- Metabolic Acidosis.
- Insufficient eating.
- Increased cardiac output.
- Sleep deprivation.
- Disturbed prostaglandin synthesis.
- Dropped blood sugar levels.
- Dilation of blood vessels.
Also, the congeners present in alcohol play a key role in producing a hangover. This is because a few substances such as methanol are metabolized to highly toxic substances like formaldehyde and formic acid. These elements can severely harm your body and cause a few symptoms that are referred to as a hangover.
Best Ways to Cure a Hangover
1.) Eggs to Cure a Hangover
Eggs are full of amino acids like cysteine and taurine. This help to boost the immune system and also prevent from liver diseases that are caused due to over consumption of alcohol. Cysteine also helps to break down the acetaldehyde, that causes a headache. Acetaldehyde is formed inside the body when the liver breaks down the ethanol.
- Simply snack on boiled eggs in your breakfast after a night of heavy drinking.
- You can also prefer them whenever you are drunk and witness the symptoms of a hangover.
- This is a great food to cure a hangover effectively.
2.) Potassium Rich Foods to Cure a Hangover
Foods rich in potassium are an important electrolyte for your body that boosts the immune system. When you are drunk, alcohol depletes the presence of electrolytes in your body, eventually leading to a hangover. These foods help to meet your bodily requirements of electrolytes and cure a hangover effectively.
Simply have foods rich in potassium when you feel the symptoms of a hangover. Foods rich in potassium include:
- White beans.
- Dried apricots.
- Fish especially salmon.
- Baked unskinned potatoes.
- Leafy green veggies.
3.) Chicken Noodle Soup to Cure a Hangover
A single cup of this chicken soup helps to stock up the sodium level in your body that were lowered due to a “wild party night” that you must have enjoyed to a cone in order to get you into this situation. Chicken also contains cysteine that is a much-needed boost to your liver. It breaks down the acetaldehyde that is produced in your gut when the liver breaks down the ethanol. Thus, making it a great and slurpy food to cure a hangover effectively.
- Simply prepare a chicken soup at home with your preferred recipe.
- If you are not in the mood ask your bestie or mom to cook for you.
- Have a cup or bowl full of this soup to cure a hangover.
4.) Honey Coated Toasts to Cure a Hangover
Toasts prepared with whole wheat are a great remedy to cure a hangover. This is because it is a bland food that helps to raise the blood-sugar levels in your body. On the other hand, honey is rich in fructose that helps to gain the body with instant energy.
- Simply toast a few whole wheat bread slices.
- Coat them with a layer of honey.
- Have these fructose laden toasts to savor your taste buds.
- Remember to have some proteins after this honeylicious meal to offset the blood sugar surge.
5.) Oats to Cure a Hangover
Due to being rich in vitamin B, calcium, magnesium and iron oats acts as a superfood for your body. It’s natural acid-neutralizing effects are an addition to the benefits that help to cure a hangover.
- Simply prepare a cup of oats either salty or sweet.
- The taste depends on how you prefer eating oats.
- Both the ways are effective.
- If you cannot do that, ask your mom for a helping hand.
6.) Pickle Juice to Cure a Hangover
Weird, though, but has effective results that all those drunkards have been swearing for. This sour liquid obtained from a jar or pickle that is stored for a while till date. It is a combination of salt, vinegar, water and other elements that help to hydrate your body and replenish the electrolytes that were depleted due to the alcohol consumption. This makes it a great remedy to cure a hangover.
- Simply sip on 2 ounces of this liquid after the night of heavy drinking.
- You can also have a shot of this natural remedy before hitting the bar.
- This will prevent your body from triggering the symptoms of a hangover.
7.) Coffee to Cure a Hangover
Coffee is an instant remedy to boost energy and rehydrate your body after a night of heavy drinking. The duo of OTC anti-inflammatory drugs and coffee helps to the cure the pounding effect of headaches, that are a result of a hangover. This makes it an excellent remedy to cure a hangover.
- Sip on a cup of hot brew in the morning.
- This will give instant relief.
- If not, have another cup.
- Everyone is fond of making love with coffee, especially during headaches and lower energy levels.
NOTE- Do not overdose on coffee as it can also trigger headaches due to being a diuretic.
8.) Fruit Juices to Cure a Hangover
The Fructose laden fruits juices help to restore the blood sugar levels of your body and help to cure a hangover. They also act as instant energizers and the presence of high water content help to rehydrate your body.
- Simply drink a glass of berry or apple juice.
- Cranberry is a recommended fruit juice.
- Tomato juice is also effective as they help to lower the absorption of alcohol in your body.
- Having a glass of tomato juice between your drinking sessions helps to lower the risk of getting a hangover.
9.) Herbal Tea to Cure a Hangover
These hot brews have a soothing effect on your body as they are helpful in treating the symptoms of a hangover like nausea, vomiting or motion sickness. They may also help to ease stomach pains during a hangover.
- Simply brew you favorite herbal tea like chamomile, thyme, ginger or lemon.
- Have it twice a day to cure a hangover fast.
10.) Coconut Water to Cure a Hangover
Coconut water is the richest electrolyte drink as it contains 5 types of electrolytes that are found in human blood. This makes it an excellent remedy to cure a hangover. This is because of help to instantly energize the body and rehydrate the electrolytes that are depleted due to the over consumption of alcohol.
- Sip on coconut water when you feel the symptoms of a hangover.
- You can also have it twice a day to cure a hangover completely.
- Pedialyte can also act as an alternative for coconut water.
- It provides with the sodium and potassium that the body desperately need while fighting from a hangover.