Do you face difficulty in swallowing and drinking? Well, then you are suffering from a sore throat. In this article, we bring you some effective remedies to cure a sore throat naturally. It is a condition where you may feel pain or a burning sensation in your throat, sometimes also followed by itching. Throat pain may also get worse when remains untreated for a long period. There are a few symptoms of a sore throat that include:
- Dryness in the inner lining of your throat.
- Swollen gland present on the inner lining of your throat.
- White patches evidenced on the place of tonsils.
- Mild hoarseness while swallowing, drinking or even speaking.
This can affect people of all ages from newborns to aged, but, the infection may not be similar in every case. The people with high chances of getting affected with a sore throat include:
- Chain smokers.
- People prone to allergies.
- People with weak or compromised immune system.
Common Causes of Sore Throat
A majority of the sore throat cases are caused due to the viral infection. Some of the types of viral infections that trigger a sore throat includes:
- Mononucleosis i.e. the infection transmitted through saliva.
- Measles i.e. the infection categorized by a distinct rash and fever.
- Chickenpox i.e. the contagious infection caused due to skin sores.
- Croup i.e. the infection of the larynx.
Sometimes bacterial infection can also cause a sore throat and the types of these infections include:
- Strep throat i.e. the inflammation of the throat caused due to the Streptococcus pyrogens bacteria
- Diphtheria i.e. the inflammation caused in the inner lining of the throat but, different from a strep throat.
- Whooping cough i.e. the infection that affects the respiratory mucous membrane.
All the cases of a sore throat do not result due to a bacterial or viral infection. Sometimes, the surrounding where you live also includes a few elements that can trigger a sore throat.
- Pollen, dander, mold or other irritants can also trigger post nasal drip. This is when the individuals are allergic to these elements.
- Dry air can also lead to a sore throat. This is because the inner lining of your throat feels itchy and scratchy.
- When exposed to cigarette smoke, this can also sometimes trigger a sore throat.
- Shouting or yelling too much can also trigger a sore throat due to the throat strain.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
This can also be one of the reasons that can lead to a sore throat. Though GERD is a digestive condition where the stomach acids flow back into the esophagus, but it can also cause a sore throat by damaging the inner lining of the throat. The symptoms of which includes:
Top Remedies to Cure a Sore Throat Naturally
1.) Hot Salt Water Gargle
This remedy can work wonders to cure a sore throat naturally. Warm water mixed with salt helps to reduce the pain and inflammation caused due to the infection.
- Boil a glass if water and add a teaspoon of salt in it.
- Now, gargle with this water 3-4 times a day.
- For more effective results repeat it every hour.
- Repeat until the infection is completely cured.
- This will help to cure a sore throat naturally.
2.) Keep Your Body Hydrated
Keep on drinking fluids to increase the water content in your body. If your daily fluid consumption is not ample to what your body actually requires, then please increase your daily fluid intake. This will help to flush out the infection-causing bacteria and virus from your body. Fluids will also help to moisten the inner lining of your throat, thus preventing itching and hoarseness. Another benefit of fluids or plain water is that they help to boost the mucus production thus, maintaining moisture in your respiratory system and preventing itching and dryness.
- Simply drink plenty of water every day like it’s your job.
- You can also have other drinks prepared with water.
- Fruit juices can do the same work for you.
- Do not confuse “fluids” with carbonated drinks or alcohol.
- This can worsen the condition that will require no home remedies but a doctor.
3.) Tasty Tea Recipes for Sore Throat
Fort all those who love tea, this is gonna be a treat other than treatment. Now, it is always better to accompany your cup of tea with a little bit of honey. How does it help? I will tell you. Honey has this gooey consistency that coats the inner lining of the throat, thus preventing dryness and also soothes swelling. It also has antibacterial properties that help to fight the infection and cure a sore throat naturally.
- The very first option is to add freshly crushed ginger root to you tea recipe.
- Top it with a little honey and sip on it.
- This will help to relax your body and flush out stress.
- Another best option is to have herbal tea like chamomile or green tea.
- Cinnamon tea also works best to cure a sore throat naturally.
- Choose whichever you like and have a hot cup of it several times a day.
- This will help to cure a sore throat naturally.
4.) Soupy Treat to Cure a Sore Throat Naturally
Soups are the easiest way out to savor your mouth when you face difficulty while swallowing. Being hot, they also help to reduce swelling and inflammation. So, when you suffer from a sore throat just do not starve yourself and prepare a mouth watery, tasty and soupy feast for yourself. Other than soups some of the soft foods can also help to nourish your body while you cannot swallow any hard food substances. These includes Rice, bananas, porridge, apple sauce, lentils, yogurt etc. Having ice-creams or sucking on popsicle can also help to reduce the inflammation.
- Simply prepare chicken soup with regular recipe and have it at least twice daily.
- For vegetarians, prepare lentil soups or plain vegetable soups.
- They also work the same to cure a sore throat.
5.) Use Humidifier to Keep the Air Moist
The surrounding air becomes dry sometimes, especially in winters. This dries put the inner lining of your throat thus, resulting into a sore and painful throat. All you need to do is buy a humidifier and keep it in your room during a dry weather.
- This will maintain humidity in the surrounding atmosphere and help to prevent and also cure a sore throat.
- Regularly change the water of the humidifier to avoid contamination of water.
- Alternatively, you can also add a few drops of essential oils like eucalyptus, vitamin C, peppermint to give an extra tinge of effect.
- This will also help to relax your body and mind.
- Continue using a humidifier and you will surely witness the change, especially when you wake up in the mornings.
6.) Throat Lozenges to Cure a Sore Throat Naturally
Other than tea, gargle, humidifier, etc. comes another remedy that can help you to cure a sore throat naturally at home. Lozenges help to relieve the pain and inflammation caused due to infection thus, curing a sore throat. They are pocket-friendly and comes in different flavors. Once you start using, you will find yourself addicted to this remedy as it is an effective treatment for your sore throat.
How does it work? Well, these small tablets are slowly dissolved in your mouth. This helps to soothe the irritated and inflamed tissue in your throat, thus helping to cure a sore throat naturally.
- All you need to do is place a tablet on your tongue and wait for it to dissolve slowly.
- Do not bite, as you may feel tempted because of the flavors, but still do not.
- Let it melt and the fluid will slowly coat the inner lining of your throat.
- Thus will help to soothe itching, irritation and temporarily relieve coughing.
Methods to Prevent Sore Throat Naturally:
- Do not share personal stuff.
- Always wash your hands with either sanitizer or liquid soaps to prevent infection.
- Limit the contact with commonly touched surfaces as they can be contaminated with the bacteria or virus causing infection.
- Avoid exposure to allergens like dander or pollens.
- Quit smoking permanently or if you cannot then just avoid it until your throat is completely cured.
- Use a humidifier to keep the air moist around you.