The Saturday night with your friends can be amazing, but the morning can become terrible if you have a hangover. The after effects of drinking alcohol is known as a hangover. Nausea, headache, and vomiting will make you feel like a crap. But don’t worry and party hard as this article will suggest you some natural ways to cure hangover.
Causes of Hangover:
- Acute withdrawal from alcohol.
- Drinking too much of alcohol.
- Mild poisons in the alcohol.
- Insufficient sleep.
- Lower sugar level.
- Stomach irritation.
- Dilation of blood vessels.
Symptoms of Hangover:
- Body and muscle ache.
- Inability to tolerate loud sounds.
- Stomach ache.
- Bloodshot eyes.
Natural Ways to Cure Hangover:
1.) Lemon to Cure Hangover:
You must have heard that saying ‘When life gives you a lemon, make a lime juice and cure hangover’. Heavy drinking irritates your stomach. Lemon juice can soothe the irritated lining of your stomach. It helps to detoxify your system and thus acts as an antiseptic. It also helps to freshen your breath after heavy drinking. Lemon controls the blood sugar level and hence re-balances your body. The citric acid in lemon converts the acidic solution into alkaline. This balances the pH level which in turn eases the symptoms of a hangover.
How to Use Lemon to Cure Hangover:
- Take a glass of warm water and add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice.
- Add one teaspoon of honey.
- Mix it well and drink it slowly.
- Drink the lime juice 2 to 3 times a day to cure hangover.
2.) Water to Get Rid of Hangover:
One of the main reasons behind hangover is dehydration. When you drink too much of alcohol your urination increases due to which your body dehydrates. Dehydration leads you to dizziness and headache. Water is an effective way to cure hangover as it rehydrates your body. It also dilutes the impurities that are left in your stomach after heavy drinking. Drink at least 10 glasses of water to get rid of the hangover symptoms. You can mix an electrolyte in water to increase its effectiveness.
3.) Honey to Treat Hangover:
The fructose in the honey helps to relieve the symptoms of a hangover. The fructose present in honey helps the liver to metabolize the alcohol in your body. The sodium and potassium content in honey deals effectively with the symptoms of alcohol. The antioxidant properties of honey will neutralize the toxins that are created due to heavy drinking. This is among the best remedies to cure hangover.
How to Use Honey to Treat Hangover:
- Consume 3 to 4 teaspoons of honey every hour throughout the day.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey in a glass of water.
- Drink this slowly several times a day.
- If you are having a hangover, spread honey on a toast and eat it 2 to 3 times a day.
4.) Tomato Juice to Cure Hangover:
The reviving nutrients like vitamin C present in tomato help to get rid of a hangover. The fructose present in tomato helps the body to metabolize alcohol more quickly. It is rich in enzymes, minerals, and vitamins that help to overcome the symptoms of a hangover.
How to Use Tomato Juice to Cure Hangover:
- Drink a glass of fresh tomato juice.
- You can add one tablespoon of lemon, cayenne pepper and honey for effective results.
- Drink this in the morning and afternoon.
5.) Bananas for Hangover:
Excessive alcohol consumption leads to dehydration and deficiency of potassium. Depletion of potassium is another important reason of hangover. Bananas are an excellent source of potassium. There is 450gm of potassium in one banana. The magnesium content of banana helps to relax the pounding blood vessels that cause a headache. According to a study, Vitamin B6 in banana helps to get rid of a hangover.
How to Use Bananas for Hangover:
- After a night of heavy drinking, start your next day by eating 2 to 3 bananas in your breakfast.
- Prepare a banana milkshake for yourself. Instead of adding sugar add honey.
6.) Ginger to Treat Hangover:
Ginger is a good choice to cure hangover as it can alleviate the pain and headache that is caused after the night of heavy drinking. Alcohol reduces the ability of the body to fight sickness that why you should eat ginger as it makes the immune system strong by filling the body with essential nutrients. It helps you to digest alcohol and soothes the irritated lining of the stomach. It is an amazing choice to get rid of hangover symptoms such as motion sickness and nausea.
How to Use Ginger to Treat Hangover:
- Boil 10 slices of fresh ginger root in 4 cups of water.
- Continue boiling them together for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and add orange juice.
- Add half cup of honey.
- Squeeze half a lemon in it.
- Drink this warm liquid many times throughout the day.
- You can chew raw slices of ginger to cure hangover.
7.) Peppermint to Cure Hangover:
This is a good choice to cure hangover as it soothes the lining of the stomach and helps to get rid of hangover symptoms such as vomiting and nausea. It will make you feel better instantly. It speeds up the detoxification process and induces relaxation. Peppermint also helps to get rid of bloating which is a symptom of an acute hangover.
How to Use Peppermint to Cure Hangover:
Follow the steps given below:
- Add one teaspoon of dried peppermint in a cup of boiling water.
- Cover the cup with a plate.
- Let the peppermint steep for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea.
- Have it in the morning to get relief from a hangover.
- Eat peppermint leaves throughout the day for fast recovery.
- Fill your bath tub with warm water.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil.
- Immerse yourself in this water for about 30 minutes.
- You can also use a cold compress to cure hangover.
8.) Foods to Get Rid of Hangover:
- Eggs for Hangover: This is a tasty choice to cure hangover. The proteins present in eggs reduces nausea and raise mood-boosting serotonin levels. The cystine is a kind of amino acids that are present in eggs. This acid fights against the toxins that are a result of excessive drinking.
- Fruit Juice: This is a good choice if you are not willing to eat anything. The fruit juices will rehydrate your body and raise the blood sugar levels. It will fill your body with the lost vitamins.The fructose in fruit juice will help to remove the alcohol from the blood.
- Coconut Water: It is a good choice to get rid of a hangover as it is not packed with refined sugar and is a carbonated free drink. It balances the electrolytes and re-hydrates the body. Coconut water also soothes the irritated lining of the stomach.
- Oats: The minerals and vitamins lost due to the diuretic effects of alcohol can be replenished by oats. It not only cleans the liver and absorb toxins but also neutralizes the acidity level. It raises the blood sugar levels and hence helps to cure hangover.
- Marmite: Lack of vitamin B also leads to a hangover. It helps to restore the lost nutrients and vitamins that are lost due to excessive consumption of alcohol. The high sodium content of marmite helps to restore the lost nutrients due to heavy drinking.
Tips to Prevent Hangover:
- Eat a lot of multivitamins before drinking.
- Consume salad instead of heavy foods before drinking.
- Have a proper sleep to prevent a hangover.
- Don’t drink too much.
- Have a good breakfast.
- When you are drinking, do not eat anything sweet.
- Take a warm shower after drinking.
- Take a walk in the fresh air.
- Don’t smoke after consuming alcohol.