The spasms of your diaphragm muscle can drive you nuts if you don’t find a cure. Don’t worry, in this article, you will read about some natural ways to cure hiccups. Hiccups occur when the diaphragm contracts to cause closure of vocal cords several times per minute. This is caused when there is nerve irritation due to the presence of certain materials. Hiccups are a reflex action of the body and are short and sharp.
Reason Behind Hiccups:
The body protects itself with this reflex action. When you inhale air the diaphragm goes down and presses the stomach due to which air is filled in the lungs. Now when you are exhaling air the diaphragm comes up and the air also comes out from the lungs. When there is the formation of gas in the stomach, then the diaphragm starts contracting suddenly due to irritation. The air that is passing into the lungs experiences obstruction due to which a peculiar sound comes out which is known as a hiccup.
Types of Hiccups:
- Hiccups Bout: In this type, the hiccups do not last for more than 48 hours.
- Persistent Hiccups: This type of hiccups last for many days.
- Intractable Hiccups: This type of hiccup can last for more than a month. In this case, you should seek doctor’s advice as it could be a serious health issue such as injury, stroke, kidney problem and mental health problems.
Causes of Hiccups:
- Consuming excess alcohol.
- Swilling carbonated beverages.
- Swallowing air while sucking on a candy.
- Emotional stress.
- Temperature change.
- Spicy foods.
- Consuming food in a hurry or too quickly.
Natural Ways to Cure Hiccups:
1. Sugar to Treat Hiccups:
This is one of the best remedies to cure hiccups. When you swallow sugar the vagus nerve is affected due to which the diaphragm constricts and the hiccups stop. The vagus nerve is a nerve that connects the brain and stomach. This nerve stops the diaphragm from contracting. Swallowing sugar stimulates the vagus nerve and then this nerve orders the brain to stop hiccups. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hiccups.
How to Use Sugar:
- Hold one teaspoon of sugar in your mouth.
- Don’t chew it.
- Allow it to dissolve in your mouth on its own.
- Drink water to cure hiccups.
2. Paper Bag Trick to Cure Hiccups:
This is an age-old trick to cure hiccups. The idea of brown paper bag works best because it increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the body due to which the diaphragm contracts more deeply to get oxygen. This, in turn, stops the hiccups. One thing that you need to remember is that do this at your own comfort level. Follow the steps given below to treat hiccups.
How to Use Paper Bag:
- Put brown paper bags over your mouth and inhale deeply.
- Exhale gently.
- Continue this inhale and exhale process to stop hiccups.
Note: This method is not suggested for heart patients.
3. Hold Your Breath to Stop Hiccups:
This is one of the oldest technique to treat hiccups. It distracts the mind due to which the hiccups stops. This technique works best because when you hold your breath the carbon dioxide in your bloodstream increases. This distracts the mind and helps in stopping the hiccup cycle. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hiccups.
What to do:
- Take an intense breath and control it for a few minutes.
- Exhale it slowly. You can exhale on counts.
- Again, do the same thing.
- Continue this simple process to cure hiccups.
4. Lemon to Get Rid of Hiccups:
The sourness of lemon makes it one of the best remedies to treat hiccups. When you hold some lemon juice in your mouth the sourness of it will force you to swallow it hard. This will stop your hiccups immediately. It has a sour taste which strikes the irritated nerves due to which the hiccups stops. Follow the steps given below to treat hiccups.
How to Use Lemon:
- Guzzle the juice of lemon slowly by adding a little salt on it.
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice in half glass of water.
- Drink this immediately to get rid of hiccups.
- Alternatively, keep one teaspoon of pure lemon juice in your mouth for a few seconds. Swallow it hard to stop hiccups quickly.
5. Chamomile for Hiccups:
It stops muscle spasms that are associated with hiccups. Chamomile has muscle relaxing properties which make it a good choice for hiccups. Drinking chamomile helps to relax the muscles of the diaphragm due to which the hiccups stop immediately. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hiccups.
- Add dried chamomile herb in a cup of water.
- Allow it to stay for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drink this water slowly to stop the hiccups.
- Take a brown paper bag and add 2 drops of chamomile oil.
- Keep the bag close to your mouth and take deep breaths.
- Continue doing this until the hiccups stop.
6. Peanut Butter to Cure Hiccups:
Now here is a chance for you to eat something delicious. Peanut butter is a good choice to cure hiccups because of its thickness. When you swallow peanut butter diaphragm is forced to relax due to which hiccups stop immediately. Another plus point of peanut butter is its stickiness which interrupts the breathing pattern when you swallow it. This works with the rationale that this would reset mechanism.
How to Use Peanut Butter:
- Take one teaspoon of peanut butter and put it in your mouth.
- Keep it in your mouth for a few seconds.
- Swallow the butter and have a sip of water. Remember, you don’t have to chew it.
- You can also use almond butter instead of peanut butter.
7. Chilled Water to Treat Hiccups:
If you want to stop hiccups the best thing that you can do is distract your mind. Cold water shocks the system due to which hiccups are stopped immediately. This is a kind of shock treatment that will distract your mind and hence relieve you from hiccups. Follow the steps given below to treat hiccups.
How to Use Chilled Water:
- Take a glass of cold water and add honey to it.
- Drink this water to stop your hiccups.
- You can also gargle with chilled water. Do this for at least 1 minute.
- Quaff on a piece of ice for a few seconds to stop your hiccups.
8. Cardamom to Cure Hiccups:
Cardamom is a good choice to get rid of hiccups as it has muscle-relaxing properties and hence it will relax the muscle of the diaphragm due to which the hiccups will stop quickly. Follow the steps given below to cure hiccups.
How to Use Cardamom:
- Take a glass of hot water and mix one teaspoon of powdered cardamom.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink this tea slowly to cure hiccups.
9. Drink Water Upside Down to Stop Hiccups:
Drinking cold water works best to stop hiccups, but it becomes more effective when you drink it in an upside down position. This is just like icing on the cake. This technique distracts your mind due to which your hiccup stops. Follow the steps below to get rid of hiccups.
What to do:
- Take a glass of cold water.
- Bend down at your waist and keep your head down.
- Use the opposite side of the glass to drink water.
- Keep doing this until your hiccups stop.
10. Vinegar to Treat Hiccups:
This is another effective remedy to cure hiccups. One of the keys to stop hiccups is mind distraction. The sour taste of vinegar helps to distract the mind due to which the hiccups stop immediately. You can use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar to treat hiccups. Follow the steps given below to stop hiccups.
How to Use Vinegar:
- Take ½ teaspoon of white vinegar.
- Swallow it and drink a glass of water immediately.
- Alternatively, mix one teaspoon of white vinegar in a cup of water. Drink this water slowly to get rid of hiccups.