Bed Bugs are tiny pests that live in groups and to feed on blood found in human beings and animals. They can easily harm you by biting quite hard as you are the main source of food for them. All we want is to throw them out of our homes as soon as possible. But before removing them out of the house, it’s important to know some important facts about bed bugs.
There are numerous types of Bed Bugs found in our surroundings in which few are mentioned below.
- Cone head Bed Bugs.
- Damp wood Bed Bugs.
- Dry wood Bed Bugs.
- Formosan Bed Bugs.
- Subterranean Bed Bugs.
Irrespective of your surroundings, any one of the above or all of these may be present in your home. However, the most common one seen in the house is the cone head bed bugs that feed on human blood. Subterranean Bed Bugs make their colonies outside, but they can easily get into your home by making small holes in the wall and tunnels from under.
There are some major signs that Bed Bugs may have entered your home. If you see skin shells or blood stains on your bed sheets, bed bugs may be sucking blood through your skin and have infested strongly in your house. Some bed bugs make holes in the bed wood for their colonies and to suck the cellulose of it.
Bed Bugs are not seasonal insects. They can attack at any time of the year. So, always be prepared with proper planning to remove them and control their infestation.
It is best to seek a professional help to get rid of the bed bugs. But, initially you can try some basic measures at your home also to control the problem. In this article, we will let you know about from where you get bed bugs and tips to remove them.
Hiding Places of Bed Bugs:
1.) Bed Joints
Bed Bugs are seen hiding in bed joints as it is the most secure place for them to survive. They easily move from these joints to your bed and feed on your blood. After this they again hide in these joints of the bed.
2.) Wall Cracks
Wall Cracks are not noticed easily as they have all the proper conditions for bed bugs to infest. These bed bugs are small in size and they easily get inside these cracks to hide.
3.) Damp Places
Damp or moist places are liked by all insects whether it is a roach, termite or bed bugs. The conditions available in damp places help to infest them and grow in large number.
How Do You Get Bed Bugs?
Nobody, get bed bugs intentionally, you get bed bugs because the silly mistakes. You get bed bugs because of the following reasons mentioned below.
- Staying at your friend house or hotel and not checking properly that your bed or room is bedbug free.
- Trying used clothes and buying, wearing them without washing.
- Buying old books and bringing them into your home.
- Letting someone inside your home that is suspected of having bed bug infestation and not checking the signs.
- Using old furniture and storing it in garage.
All these are the reasons from where you get bed bugs in your house. If you take care of all these small things you will never get bed bugs.
Tips to Remove Bed Bugs
1.) Sodium Chloride to Remove Bed Bugs
- To remove these tiny creatures, once you get bed bugs just use sodium chloride.
- Spray directly on the bed bugs infested area or take some soaked cotton balls in the sodium chloride solution and put it close to the infested area.
- Due to the presence of moisture in sodium chloride, bed bugs get attracted in the direction of the cotton balls.
- Once they are attracted and feed on it they will get killed.
- This method not only kills the bed bugs, but also prevents them from further infestation.
2.) Lilac Oil to Remove Bed Bugs
- Lilac oil is a safe and harmless way to get rid of bed bugs.
- It works as an insect growth regulator and stops them from peeling their skin, which leads to their immediate death.
- It also causes bed bugs to stop feeding and laying eggs.
- Bed bugs are easily killed by the Lilac oil, but only when they come in contact with the lilac oil.
- Drop some lilac oil on the cotton ball or a piece of cloth and apply it directly on the infested bed and furniture. The bed bugs will suck the oil and eventually die.
- Apply the lilac oil several times in a day until the bed bugs are removed properly.
3.) Diatomaceous Earth to Remove Bed Bugs
- Diatomaceous earth can help you to remove a wide range of pest problems, including the bed bugs infestation. It will even stop the roaches and termites from infesting your home.
- Diatomaceous earth rubs the bed bugs outer shells, leading them to dry out and killed.
- Spray a small coating of diatomaceous earth on the infested areas of your house. Repeat once daily until all the bed bugs are gone.
- Once in a while, sprinkle a good quality diatomaceous earth along your bed, window, doors, and foundation wall as well as on damp places where there is a chance of infestation.
4.) Borax to Remove Bed Bugs
- Borax, also popularly known as chemical sodium borate. It can easily kill subterranean bed bugs and other roaches. It chokes the nervous system of bed bugs and dehydrates them fast.
- Spray evenly on the infested places with borax powder. Continue for a few days or for a week to make sure that the entire bed bugs has been removed.
- You can also spray the solution of borax on bed surfaces from time to time to kill bed bugs and stop the infestation.
- Just dissolve one spoon of borax powder into three cups of hot water, to make a solution.
5.) Pest Expert to Remove Bed Bugs
Pest control expert is one of the fastest ways to kill bed bugs, if you get bed bugs. They have all the tools and necessary kit to remove bed bugs. The technique which they can apply is not with us. They know the proper handling of bed bugs as they are an experienced person. The chemicals which they use are nontoxic and safe for the surroundings. They also give you proper guidance and guarantee of removing the bed bugs properly. The cost of this method is quite high but the end result for the same is always positive.
Methods to Treat Bed Bug Bites
1.) Orange to Treat Bed Bug Bites
Once you get bed bugs and you are bitten by them, just use orange to treat your bite. Orange can also be used to treat bed bug bites. It helps to lower the redness of the outer skin layer caused by bed bug bite. Orange is loaded with vitamin C and other acid that has curing properties. Read the steps to learn the method to use orange for bed bug bites itch treatment.
- Take a slice of orange and rub it on the bed bug bites area and rest for an hour.
- If possible use orange slices that are placed in the icebox for a few minutes.
- Apply this method regularly when you needed it.
- You can also use the fresh juice of orange in place of the orange slices.
2.) Banana to Treat Bed Bug Bites
Banana slice is one of the simplest ways to cure bed bug bites. The reason for this is a good amount of fructose and glucose in it. It doesn’t cause any other side effects that is why it is safe and is quite popular. The fructose helps to remove the infection and rashes from the skin. All these useful ingredients of banana make it a unique remedy to treat bed bug bites. You can also use the banana in mashed form in place of banana slice. The high amount of anti-viral and anti-inflammatory chemicals present in it will remove the redness skin. Follow the steps to use it:
- Take one peeled banana in a bowl.
- Mix some milk in it.
- Cut the banana into round pieces.
- With a towel or bandage tie the pieces on the red skin.
- Let it rest on your skin for a few hours.
- You can also use the mashed banana in place of banana slice.
- Now, use your fingers to apply mashed banana.
- Apply to the affected skin of your body.
- Continue the process for a few days, to see visible results.
3.) Ice Pack to Get Rid of Bed Bug Bites
Ice pack is one of the great and simple home remedies to treat bed bites at home. The cooling effect of ice helps numb the nerve ending thus provides you relief from throbbing pain. Follow the steps to use it:
- Take few ice cubes and wrap it in a towel or washcloth.
- Apply this over the affected area for 10-15 minutes.
- Try this remedy as per your needs throughout the day.
4.) Lemon Juice to Treat Bed Bug Bites
Lemon contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help reduce the pain and swelling due to bed bugs bite. It also acts as a natural astringent that helps dry out the rashes fast. Follow the steps to use this remedy.
- Take out some lemon juice in a bowl.
- With the help of a cotton apply this juice over the affected area.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes then wash it off with normal water.
- Try this remedy 2-3 times a day.
Note- Do not go in the sun after applying lemon as it may make your skin skeptical to sunburn.
5.) Toothpaste to Relieve Bed Bug Bites
Toothpaste is an instant and effective remedy to treat bed bugs bite. The cooling properties of toothpaste helps soothe the inflammation and itching due to rashes. Remember that you use white toothpaste or a toothpaste with menthol properties. Never take gel toothpaste for this purpose.
- Apply some toothpaste on the affected area.
- Leave it for 50-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with normal water.
- Repeat this method as per your requirement.