The winter season will arrive very soon. Suffering from bacterial infections and fever is very common during this time. In winters our immune system becomes very weak and can’t fight against the bacteria properly. Most common bacterial infections during this time are cold. Most of the times a cold goes away on its own in a few days, there are few things you can do to get over a cold fast and help yourself better.
The cold is a milder respiratory symptom caused by various different viruses. It primarily affects the nose and then sinuses, throat and voice box. Antibiotics shouldn’t be used during cold as it’s caused by a virus which is usually harmless. There are more than 200 types of a cold virus, but most common cold viruses are coronavirus and rhinovirus. Its signs and symptoms can differentiate from person to person and type of virus. A common cold starts when the virus attaches to the lining of your throat or nose. Read this article to get over a cold fast.
Home Remedies to Get Over a Cold Fast
1. Try Eucalyptus to Get Over a Cold Fast
Eucalyptus is a powerful antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, astringent, analgesic, antispasmodic and expectorant properties. It increases the circulation in our body to increase the numbers of phagocytes. If you want to get over a cold fast use eucalyptus oil. It is known to boost the immune system which helps our body fight against the infections very effectively.
Try this as an inhalant or in your diffuser to get the healing vapors directly into your circulatory system via the lungs.
2. Peppermint to Get Over a Cold Fast
Rich in vitamin C, potassium and calcium, peppermint is one of the best herbs to get over a cold fast. Menthol present in peppermint cure cold by boosting the immune system. The herb prevents our body from catching cold and common viruses.
- Boil a cup of water in a pot
- Let it cool down for a minute and add the peppermint leaves
- Boil for at least 5 minutes
- Strain and drink the peppermint tea.
3. Garlic to Get Over a Cold Fast
With antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiviral, and antibiotic properties, garlic is very effective to get over a cold. It also provides decongestant and expectorant effects to cure a common cold or flu.
- Put 3 cloves of garlic in 3 cups of water.
- Boil for a few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Add ½ cup of lemon juice and 1/2 cup of honey.
- Strain into a cup and drink this tea 3 times a day.
- Drink this regularly to get rid of cold.
4. Take Echinacea to Get Over a Cold Fast
Echinacea is the most common remedy used to cure a common cold and other respiratory infections. It helps to boost the immune system. You can also get Echinacea in supplement form at most the drug stores and pharmacies.
- Take Echinacea at the first sign of a common cold
- Take 900 mg of Echinacea per day. But take the total dosage into 3 doses.
- Which means take 300 mg 3 times a day.
- To cure a cold and its symptoms take it for 1 to 2 weeks.
5. Ginger to Get Over a Cold Fast
Ginger contains antiseptic properties. This is not only to treat a common cold, but it’s also beneficial in preventing the condition to arise.
- Grated garlic- 2 tablespoons
- Put it in a cup of hot water
- Mix it well and drink it
6. Take Enough Rest to Get Over a Cold Fast
A good sleep is one of the most important factors to be cured of a common cold. Enough sleep is very important for our body in order to resist cold infection faster and more effectively. If you are suffering from fever as well then take rest and stay in a warm environment.
7. Honey to Get Over a Cold Fast
Honey can be very effective to get over a cold fast. It can also cure irritated throat. Packed with nutrients and enzymes, honey helps to kill bacteria and viruses that cause a cold or a sore throat.
- Take two tablespoons of honey
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice in it.
- Mix it well and consume it every two hours to get over a cold fast.
8. Mullein Tea to Get Over a Cold Fast
Mullein is proven to cure chest congestion and other infections like cold and sore throat etc. It has expectorant properties which are very effective to fight against bacterial infections.
- Boil one cup of water and put few mullein herb into it.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Put a little honey to it and consume in at least 3 times a day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Over a Cold Fast
Apple cider vinegar is very useful to cure a cold and kill the symptoms of cold as well. Our body becomes acidic while suffering from cold and can’t fight against the infections. But taking ACV not only cure a cold and increases the immune system of the body. Due to alkaline in nature, it fights against the viral infections.
- Bring water to a boiling point.
- Mix hot water and apple cider vinegar in a glass.
- Add cayenne pepper and honey.
- Shake well.
- Squeeze a lemon on top.
- Drink the solution to get over a cold fast.
10. Cinnamon to Get Over a Cold Fast
Cinnamon can cure a common cold and help soothe the pain of a dry or a sore throat.
- Take a glass of boiling water.
- Put one tablespoon of cinnamon and two cloves into the water.
- Allow it to boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain and drink the solutions.
- Mix few drops of cinnamon bark oil with one tablespoon honey
- Consume it to get over a cold fast.
11. Drink Spice Tea to Get Over a Cold Fast
Spice tea is a beneficial home remedy to get rid of common cold.
You will Need:
- Dry coriander seeds- quarter cup
- Cumin and fennel seed- 1 and ½ tablespoon (each)
- Fenugreek seed- quarter teaspoon.
- Rock candy- half teaspoon.
- Milk- half cup
- Roast and grind all the given ingredients to make a fine powder.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Put 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of spice powder with 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of rock candy.
- Let it boil for three to four minutes.
- Put two tablespoons of milk.
- Boil the solution and then strain.
- Drink it slowly when it is hot.
12. Drink Honey and Cayenne Tea to Get Over a Cold Fast
Cayenne pepper has natural properties to cure a cold. It helps clear respiratory passage by breaking up mucus and you get over a cold fast. It has antimicrobial properties and it helps to boost the immune system. Consume as often you can strengthen your immune system.
You will Need:
- A black tea bag
- 1 cup water
- One teaspoon honey
- A Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Heat water and steep the tea for about five minutes.
- Remove the bag and mix tea with the honey and cayenne in a cup.
- Drink cayenne and honey tea to get over cold fast.