Are you tired of carrying a handkerchief along with you everywhere because of that runny nose that makes you feel embarrassed in front of people? Is this something very frequent to happen with you? Well, then you are suffering from a cold infection. My previous article that entitled “How to Treat a Cold?”, must have proved quite helpful for you, as to what we really hope, to hear from you in the form of your comments and feedback. In this article also, we bring you some effective remedies to get rid of a cold.
The common cold is a self-limited contagious illness caused by various types of bacteria and viruses. In medical terms, the infection mainly affects the upper respiratory tract, causing breathing problems. The symptoms of cold include watery eyes, sore throat, nasal congestion, a throbbing headache, runny nose, cough and continuous sneezing. The infection is not only active during winters, sometimes it even occurs due to the wet atmosphere, but it is said that the infection becomes more frequent in winters because the virus gets a suitable environment to grow.
Natural home remedies are usually preferred, as these remedies give effective results. In case these natural remedies don’t work, the patient should immediately seek medical help. Usually, most of the patients recover on their own within 2-3 weeks, otherwise, OTC treatments can help to control the symptoms of cold and it also fights infection.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of a Cold
1.) Brew Hot Ginger Tea to Get Rid of a Cold
Aromatic constituents such as capsaicin or piperine are a part of the family of compounds that provide wonderful healing benefits. The Gingerol present in ginger belongs to this particular family. Consumption of ginger while suffering from cold helps to ease congestion. It also aids in reducing the inflammation of the mucous membranes that form the inner lining of your nasal passages. The spiciness of ginger has enough kick that can help to loosen the phlegm. All these benefits make ginger an effective home remedy to get rid of a cold infection.
- Simply brew hot ginger tea and spice it up with a tablespoon of honey.
- You can also chew a few ginger wedges directly, to get effective results.
In case you want something else for a change, try the recipe below.
- 6-8 tablespoons of the freshly grated ginger root.
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional).
- A squirt of lemon juice (optional).
- A dash of honey (optional).
- 4 cups of boiled water, and
- A glass jar.
- Put the grated ginger in a glass jar and sprinkle cinnamon powder over it.
- Boil water in a pot, and carefully pour it into the jar.
- Steep the contents of the jar for 30-40 minutes.
- Place the lid to keep the vapors intact.
- Now, pour it into a mug or cup and drink it slowly.
- This will help to ease congestion and get rid of a cold effectively.
- You can store this tea in the fridge for a day and reheat when you want to sip on it at any time of the day.
- Make sure to finish by the end of the day
2.) Essential Oil Steam to Get Rid of Cold
Essential oils are the most effective remedy while suffering from cold, regardless of the procedure that you prefer for utilizing them. The best out of all the verities of essential oils available, that are an effective remedy to get rid of a cold infection include tea tree, peppermint, or eucalyptus. The antibacterial and anti-viral properties of these essential oils help to fight off infection and easily treat cold.
- 5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Same amount of tea tree oil, or a combination of both the oils.
- A clean towel.
- Simply, boil water in a pot and add the essential oils.
- Remove from flame and place on a flat surface.
- Now, lean your head over the pot maintaining an appropriate distance.
- Cover your head with the towel and make sure it also drapes all over the pot.
- This will not let the steam escape.
- Take the steam until the water stays hot.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day to get rid of a cold.
3.) The Classic Trio
Ginger, garlic, and honey: these three ingredients are simply amazing and natural remedies that have been used for years to get rid of a cold and sinus infections. They simply are exemplary in their work of treating cold infections; all you need to do is follow the remedies religiously. The ingredients are either individually taken or you can also combine them together to simply enhance the benefits and their effectiveness.
- One garlic clove.
- A teaspoon of honey.
- One lemon.
- A glass of warm water.
- Simply crush the garlic cloves and add them to a glass.
- Squeeze the juice of a whole lemon into the glass.
- Now, pour warm water n the glass and stir well.
- Have this drink 2-3 times a day to get rid of a cold.
4.) The Honey-Onion Syrup to Treat Cold
Honey and Onion, both are wonderful healing agents with natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of a cold easily and effectively. This recipe is a remedy to fight infection and treat sinus pressure effectively. Honey is also known to relieve a sore throat and break down the accumulated mucus, this easing the symptoms of a cold infection.
- A medium size onion (Grated).
- A dash of honey.
- Simply combine honey and warm water in equal proportions.
- Now add the grated onion.
- In addition, you can also add a freshly crushed garlic clove for better effectiveness.
- Now, allow the water to steep well for a few hours, if possible then overnight.
- The next morning, strain the mixture and use it as a cough syrup.
- Repeat the remedy 2-3 times a day to get rid of cold.
- It also provides instant relief from continuous coughing and a sore throat.
5.) Mullein to Get Rid of Cold
Mullein is a biennial plant that simply grows every other year. You can easily find it along the roadsides, basically in a temperate climate. It is tall and has small yellow color flowers, followed by the leaves that stand out being soft and downy. The plant is proven to loosen the accumulated phlegm so that you can easily cough it out. When combined with another expectorant like thyme, there is nothing better that can work as wonderful as this magical remedy.
- 2 tablespoons of dried mullein.
- 2 and a half teaspoon of dried thyme, (Fresh thyme) 5 teaspoons.
- 1 and a half cups of water.
- Lemon juice and honey as preferred.
- Boil water in a pan and add these herbs to it.
- Cover with a lid and steep for 1-20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and let it cool down.
- Add honey and lemon juice to enhance the taste.
- Finally, sip on this drink slowly to get rid of a cold.
- Have this 2-3 times a day and witness the effective results.
6.) Simple Homemade Syrup for Cold
Syrups are great for kids and this is because kids do not let their parents opt for any other remedy and become irritated especially while suffering from a cold. Also, syrups taste better than other commercial medicines and herbs that are used to get rid of a cold. They are usually everyone’s all time favorite remedy that easily treats cold without de-savoring your taste buds. They tend to coat the inner lining of your throat and ease the itching and inflammation caused due to soreness and accumulation of phlegm.
This particular syrup that we are talking about includes marshmallow root, cinnamon, licorice root, and of course ginger. Where ginger acts as a cough relieving agent, and cinnamon treats the infection. The other two are a bit not so popular to fight infection but, they help in coating the inner lining of your throat and soothe the inflamed mucous membrane and this is because of the mucilage.
- 1 tablespoon of marshmallow root.
- 1 tablespoon of licorice root.
- 4 cups of warm water.
- 1 cup of raw honey.
- 6 cinnamon sticks or a tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger.
- An airtight glass jar and strainer.
- Add all the ingredients in the bowl and mix well.
- Leave honey for later.
- Add these to a saucepan and add water.
- Bring this to a boil and steep.
- Keep on stirring while the mixture gets brewed.
- After 10 minutes, remove from flame and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Finally, pour this mixture into a jar and place the lid.
- Have 1-2 tablespoons of this syrup thrice daily to get rid of a cold.
- If you want to store, this will last for only 3 days.