In this article, we will be discussing a few effective remedies to get rid of a cyst, but let’s first get to know about a cyst, its causes, and symptoms. Cysts are a sac or closed capsules like structures that are typically filled with fluids, semisolid or gaseous substances, similar to a blister. Cysts usually occur within the tissue and can affect almost any part of your body. The size of a cyst may vary from microscopic to some team-sport balls i.e. a large cyst can also displace the body’s internal organs. Later you can read articles on home remedies for cystic acne treatment.
Types of Cysts:
- Arachnoid Cysts: Cysts in the arachnoid membrane that surrounds the brain. Where the membrane doubles up or splits to form a pocket or cerebrospinal fluid. Mostly occurs in newborn babies.
- Baker’s Cyst: It is also called as a popliteal cyst. Where the patient experiences a bulge and a feeling of tightness behind the knee.
- Bartholin’s Cysts: They occur if the ducts of the Bartholin glands are blocked inside the vagina.
- Breast Cysts: These are often painful. It may also point to a raised risk of breast cancer.
- Chalazion Cysts: These cysts form by the blockage of the eyelid glands. The small eyelid glands called meibomian. The lubricant made by these glands comes out of tiny openings in the edges of the eyelids.
- Colloid Cysts: These cysts contain gelatinous material in the brain. In most of the cases, the recommended treatment is to surgically remove the cyst.
- Dentigerous Cysts: These cysts surround the crown of an unerupted tooth.
- Dermoid Cysts: Types of cysts that have mature skin, hair follicles, sweat glands, even clumps of long hair as well as fat, bone, cartilage, and thyroid tissue.
- Ovarian Cysts: Most of the ovarian cysts are benign. Some become so large that the women seem pregnant. Cysts of 5 cm in size are common during a woman’s reproductive years. Approx 20% of women are diagnosed with ovarian cysts or tumors once in their life and a small percentage of them also get the risk of ovarian cancer.
Causes of Cyst Formation:
Some of the common causes of cyst include:
- Genetic conditions
- Faulty organs in a developing embryo
- Defected cells
- Chronic inflammatory conditions
- A parasite
- An Injury that breaks a vessel
- Blockage of ducts that cause fluid buildup
Signs and Symptoms of Cysts:
- A cyst in the brain can cause headaches as well as other symptoms.
- Cysts in mammary glands i.e. in the breasts are easily diagnosed while checking up. The lump will be palpable and often painful.
- Many internal cysts like those in the kidneys or liver may not have any symptom and can easily go unnoticed until MRI or CAT scans are used to check and detect the cysts.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of a Cyst
1.) Warm Compress to Get Rid of a Cyst
Hot compress helps in improving the blood circulation and initiate the healing process. It is the easiest the remedy and you will not undergo much pain.
- Soak a clean soft cloth in hot water and remove extra water by wriggling the cloth.
- Place it over the cyst for 2-10 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure 3-4 times a day to get rid of a cyst infection.
- You can also use a heating pad to get rid of a cyst.
Note- Keep the heat moderate as; high temperature can worsen the case.
2.) The ACV Effect
Organic Apple cider vinegar that has the “mother” of vinegar. It has acetic acid that helps to fight infection and kills the bacteria.
- Apply few drops of ACV on the cyst and cover it with a bandage.
- Repeat this process until the skin of the cyst becomes hard.
- Gently remove the hard layer of the skin to drain out the cyst completely.
- Clean the area with a dry washcloth.
- If followed regularly, you will see the new skin growing within 3 to 4 weeks.
Note- Use pure organic ACV as it has a mother in it.
3.) Epsom Salt Helps to Get Rid of a Cyst
This is also a great home remedy to treat a cyst fast. Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulfate that helps fight the cyst causing bacteria. Add about a half cup of Epsom salt to your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak yourself in it for 10-15 minutes to get relief from sebaceous cysts.
4.) Castor Oil Cures the Cysts
The heat of castor oil helps to cure the cyst by decreasing its size. It reduces itching and heals the inflamed cyst. This is one of the effective remedies for sebaceous cyst. Remember one thing that don’t consume it internally.
- Soak a cotton swab in castor oil and apply it directly on the cyst.
- Place it on the infected area for 4-5 minutes for the heat to reach the skin.
- You can also use a heating pad or hot water bag to place it over the cotton swab.
- Repeat the remedy 3-4 times a day and you will see the size of cyst slowly decreasing.
- Castor oil can also be used with a pinch of baking soda and applied on the cyst.
- It helps in dissolving the cyst.
5.) Honey Has Therapeutic Effects
Honey is an organic product that has therapeutic properties assisting to get rid of a cyst.
- Blend in some banana slices or wheat grass in a blender and add honey to it.
- Apply the paste on the cyst and cover it with a clean soft cloth.
- Leave the treatment overnight to work on the cyst.
- You can also mix a tablespoon of cinnamon powder with 3 tablespoons of honey.
- Apply the mixture on the cyst with the same procedure.
- Also, you can mix egg whites along with a tablespoon of honey and blend the mixture well.
- Apply on the cyst following the same procedure.
6.) Turmeric: A Natural Healing Agent
Turmeric is known to have natural healing properties that help to get rid of a cyst. It breaks the cyst and brings the affected area in normal state. It also gives instant relief from pain and inflammation. This is a herbal remedy and will give you quick results.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of boiled milk.
- Allow it to cool down and then drink.
- Repeat the remedy for at least ten days.
- Alternatively, Mix some turmeric powder and mint juice to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the cyst and keep it on for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Then wash it off.
7.) Cabbage: An Effective Remedy
Cabbage is an ancient home remedy to get rid of a cyst naturally. It helps reduce the pain associated with the cyst.
- Add a few cabbage leaves to a pot of boiling water. Boil until soft then places it on the affected area.
- Keep it for 5-10 minutes.
- Cover it with a clean and dry washcloth.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice a day to see effective results.
8.) Tea Bags do the Trick
Tea bags have anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of a cyst. It helps reduce the size of the cyst.
- Soak tea bags in some milk and place it on the affected area.
- Wrap a cloth or apply a bandage over it to hold it in place.
- Leave overnight then remove it next morning.
- Regular application of it will help to get rid of a cyst quickly.
9.) Colloidal Silver Reduces Inflammation
Colloidal silver is helpful in improving the functioning of the immune system and reduces inflammation. It helps to stimulate the flow of lymphatic fluids and helps to get rid of a cyst naturally. All you need to do is directly apply a few drops of colloidal silver with a dropper or a cotton swab to the affected area. Try this remedy until you see positive results.
10.) Bee Pollen: A Natural Blood Purifier
It acts as a natural blood purifier and is a proven remedy to get rid of a cyst infection. It is also effective for other skin problems like acne and sebaceous cysts. All you need to do is consume 1-2 tablespoons of bee pollen or have it in the form of pills to treat the cysts.
11.) Potatoes Cure Cysts
Potatoes are known as a rich source of Vitamin C, which is responsible for removing dead cells from the skin, hence helps treat a cyst fast.
- Place a freshly cut potato slice over the cyst and leave it overnight.
- You can use a bandage or a paper tape to hold it in place.
- Potato juice can also be applied to the affected area using a cotton swab and left to work overnight.
- It will reduce the size of the cyst, eventually curing it.
12.) Tea Tree Oil to Cure Cysts
Tea Tree Oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of a cyst quickly by fighting the bacteria.
- Mix tea tree oil and water in the ratio 1:9 and apply the solution directly to the affected area.
- You can also use it directly by applying 2-3 drops of the oil on the cyst using a cotton swab.
- Cover it with a bandage.
13.) Sandalwood and Rose Water to Heal Cyst:
The antifungal properties of sandalwood powder speeds up the healing process. It eases out the pain and inflammation that is caused by the sebaceous cyst. Make a thick paste of sandalwood powder and rose water. Apply this paste over the cyst. Let it dry for sometime and then wash it off with cold water. Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times a day for better results.
14.) Witch Hazel to Treat a Cyst:
The richness of tannins present in witch hazel helps to tighten the pores and removes the dirt and extra oil from the skin. It minimizes the inflammation and accelerates the healing process. Apply witch hazel cream on the cyst 2 to 3 times a day. Do this on a regular basis for about one week to eliminate infection completely.
Some Do’s and Don’ts
- Increase your water intake and have plenty of fruit juice. This will help eliminate the waste and other impurities from the body.
- Snack on fibrous and citrus food, also include a few whole grains, fish oil, red clover, garlic and green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- If the cyst burst, wipe the area with a clean washcloth and always wash your hands before and after treating a cyst.
- Make use of mineral base skin products.
- Make sure that the area around the cyst is clean.
- Use hygienic blades to clear the hair on the skin.
- Avoid scratching or touching the infected area.
- Avoid exposure to the sun.
- Reduce the intake of spicy, salty and rich in caffeine foods in your diet to avoid the risk of breast cancer.