Fever is basically considered as a body’s temperature that increases from the normal state i.e. 98.6 F (37 C) to somewhere above 100.4 F or 38.0 C. In most of the cases fever is the response of your body to fight and get rid of the infection and the causes no other harm to your body. In this article, we will talk about various remedies to get rid of a fever and ease its symptoms.
When our body fights with the foreign intruders that can cause infection, the result is a fever. These foreign intruders include bacteria, virus, drugs, fungi, or various other toxins. Children of 6 weeks or under 3 months of age suffering from a hike in temperature of about 100.4 F i.e 38.0 C or greater need immediate professional help.
In most of the cases, fever depends on the causes but other cases are self-limited. A person either has an illness or has a history of diagnosed medical conditions like cancer, AIDS, heart diseases or diabetes should immediately seek professional help. When they evidence the signs and symptoms of fever or a sudden rise in the normal body temperature.
Causes of Fever
As discussed earlier, fever is the response of your body while fighting the foreign invaders that cause infections and hinder the functions of other internal organs of the body. These invaders are known as the trigger elements that causes infection and trigger the body’s immune response.
The Pyrogens send the signals to the hypothalamus present in the brain. This increases the body’s temperature at a set point to kill the infection causing bacteria. Fever is known as the common symptom for most of the medical conditions. Whereas, in children teething or immunizations i.e certain vaccine shots can also trigger a short-term raise in temperature.
Signs and Symptoms of Fever
- Shivers and chills.
- Body aches and joint pain.
- A throbbing headache.
- Excessive sweating.
- Rapid heart rate.
- Dizziness or light-headedness.
- Sore eyes.
- Rise in temperature followed by hallucinations or confusion.
- Rise in temperature that is more than 100.4 F.
Other symptoms that are a sign of severe infection and illness like dengue or the Rocky Mountains spotted fever, Rheumatic Fever, Fever Blisters or Chickenpox include:
- Repeated vomiting.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Skin rashes or flushed skin.
The rise in temperature over 101 F or 38 C in pregnant women is a sign of severe illness and they need immediate professional help. Rashes and joint pain can also be the symptoms. This infection can also affect the baby if ignored. Some infections like Cytomegalovirus can also cause Congenital deafness in the baby. Infection with Zika Virus can also lead to birth defects like Microcephaly i.e. Small Head.
High body temperature raised to more than 103 F or 40 C can lead to:
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of a Fever
1.) Cold Water Remedy to Cure Fever
- Fill a bowl of chilled iced water
- Soak a washcloth in chilled water and squeeze the excess amount.
- Now, place it on your forehead and keep on re-soaking it after certain intervals.
- This will help to bring the temperature back to normal.
- Alternatively, you can also take a sponge bath.
- Take a sponge and soak it in normal water.
- Now, damp your feet, hands face, groin, armpits.
- This will help in the fall of temperature.
- Also, bringing back to normal.
- Luke warm bath can also help you ease the body ache and control the temperature.
2.) Basil to Get Rid of a Fever
Basil has antibiotic properties that help to control body temperature and is an effective remedy to get rid of fever quickly. The effects of Basil is similar to any antibiotic available in the market but with no side effects as it’s a natural medicine.
- Boil 20 Basil leaves in a cup of water.
- Add a teaspoon of crushed ginger to it.
- Reduce the water solution to half.
- Then finally drink the mixture like a tea.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice daily to get rid of fever.
- Alternatively, you can also prepare a tea of a teaspoon of dried basil and 1/4th teaspoon of pepper powder.
- Brew this mixture in a cup of boiling water.
- Drink this tea twice or thrice daily to 3 days to get rid of fever fast.
3.) ACV to Treat Fever
Apple Cider Vinegar is known as a highly effective and inexpensive remedy for fever. It helps to get rid of a fever quickly because the acids present in ACV helps to draw heat from the skin. It is also rich in mineral content making it beneficial to meet the mineral requirements of the body that are lost due to fever.
- Add half a cup of ACV to your bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak yourself in it for 10-15 minutes.
- You will notice a fall in temperature within 20 minutes of the bath.
- Repeat every time the temperature rises.
- Alternatively, soak a washcloth in diluted ACV.
- Wring out excess water and then place it on your forehead.
- You can also place it on your tummy or wrap it around your feet.
- Re-soak it after few intervals.
- Repeat the remedy until the temperature falls.
- You can also drink a mixture of 2 teaspoons of ACV and a tablespoon of raw honey.
- Added to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Finally, having the prepared drink.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice daily to get rid of a fever fast.
4.) Garlic to Get Rid of a Fever
Garlic is warm and when used for high body temperature it helps to get rid of a fever by promoting excessive sweating. Sweat helps to cool down the body’s temperature. Thus resulting in a fall of the temperature back to the normal. The added benefits of garlic i.e. the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial also helps to get rid of a fever quickly.This also fights the foreign invaders inside the body.
- Mince a garlic clove add it to a cup of hot water.
- Steep the mixture for 10-12 minutes.
- Have it as a tea thrice daily.
- This will make you feel better and get rid of a fever fast.
- Alternatively, you can also warm a mixture of crushed garlic cloves and olive oil.
- Rub and gently massage the mixture on each foot.
- Also, leave a few spots uncovered from oil.
- Now, wrap your feet with a gauze to keep the garlic in place.
- Finally, letting it work overnight for best results.
- This is the best and the most effective remedy to get rid of a fever quickly.
NOTE- Garlic remedy is not recommended for children or pregnant women.
5.) Raisins to Get Rid of a Fever
Raisins are helpful to fight infections and bring the raised temperature back to normal. This is because raisins are rich in phenolic phytonutrients and they also have anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties . This helps to get rid of a fever and fight infection.
- Soak 25-30 raisins in half cup of water for an hour.
- Now, crush these raisins and strain the liquid.
- Also, squeeze the half lime in this raisin mixture and drink twice daily.
- This will help to get rid of a fever fast.
6.) Ginger to Soothe Temperature
Ginger is helpful for the body to expel heat. This helps to get rid of a fever. In addition to the benefits, it also has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties that help the immune system to fight any kind of foreign intrusion.
- Mix a tablespoon of ginger powder in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Now, soak yourself in this water for 10-15 minutes.
- Pat dry your body with a clean towel and then go to bed.
- Get under the covers and do not let any air inside.
- Soon, you will start sweating and get rid of a fever.
NOTE- Try a ginger patch test before opting for the remedy.
- Prepare pure ginger tea by brewing one and a half teaspoon of crushed ginger in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep the water for 5-10 minutes.
- You can also add honey to enhance the taste.
- Drink this tea twice daily to get rid of fever.
- Another remedy is to mix one and a half teaspoon of ginger juice and a teaspoon of lemon juice to a tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this concoction three to four times a day to get rid of a fever.
- Repeat the remedy until the fever is gone.