In this article, we will be discussing a few natural home remedies that can help to get rid of a Hangover. But first, let’s get to know about a hangover, its causes, and symptoms. The hangover is basically some signs and symptoms that our body unveils due to excessive or over drinking. The symptoms of a hangover are mostly felt by the sufferers the very next morning to the night of heavy drinking. Its severity depends on the amount of alcohol consumed by an individual. Other factors include tiredness, dehydration, sleep deprivation and the amount of water consumed while drinking alcohol.
Symptoms of Hangover:
There are many symptoms of a hangover like nausea, vomiting, anxiety, headache, dizziness, sleepiness, confusion, and thirst. People also sometimes face embarrassment due to the symptoms of a hangover, because their brain is in no state to act like a normal human being. The physical symptoms including rashes and bloodshot eyes are easily diagnosed by the doctors and nurses within 12 to 24 hours, but any other harmful effects of over-consumption of alcohol include:
- Accelerated Heartbeat
- Body and muscle ache
- Halitosis (that means bad breath)
- Liver dysfunction
- Photophobia, (trembling, shakiness) or erratic motor function.
- It is a severe state of medical emergency. It unveils many harmful effects of alcohol in our body.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning Includes:
- The lower rate of the normal breathing rhythm.
- Breathing rate decreases to almost 7-8 inhalations per minute or even less.
- The regular occurrence of fits.
- Confusion or stupor.
- Skin seems pale or bluish.
- Hypothermia is a state where the body’s normal temperature drops down than the normal and the patient cannot tolerate cold weather or atmosphere. Its severity can even lead to loss of life.
Treating the Symptoms of a Hangover
The best way to avoid a hangover is to avoid excessive consumption of alcohol. If you still cannot resist and are an addict then please act sensible and think of your health before gulping the bottle down your throat.
The health authorities’ advice, that man should not consume more than 3-4 units of alcohol per day and for the women, it is 2-3 units per day. But why to have it? when it is harming your health to such alarming rate, you can go for occasional drinking or no drinking at all. It is not something that an individual will die without.
The hangover is common after drinking because the alcohol will obviously affect your body and the digestive organs, in some or the other way but all you need to do is drink sensibly and rest. Resting and consuming plenty of water while drinking will definitely reduce its symptoms. You just need to have some patience. Enlisted below are some tips that can aid hangover and control its symptoms:
Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Hangover
When late night parties have turned into morning nightmares due to a hangover, this is what you can do to cure yourself and easily get rid of a hangover:
1.) Fresh And Crunchy Fruits
Fruits like Apples and Bananas, when eaten raw is the best remedy to get rid of a hangover. These fresh fruits act as the best cure for hangovers. This is because they help soothe the nerves and regain the essential minerals that our body requires.
- So all you need to do is munch on an apple or banana or you can even prepare a smoothie.
- 1 tablespoon of honey will add to its benefits by regaining the body’s lost blood sugar levels.
2.) Honey Again to Get Rid of a Hangover
Yes, honey is the best remedy to treat hangover as along with regaining the blood sugar levels the fructose present in it neutralizes the effects of alcohol and competes with the metabolism of alcohol. It also helps in better digestion of the alcohol.
3-4 teaspoons of honey taken after every interval of an hour after drinking alcohol help the digestive system to easily digest it without any difficulty.
3.) Ginger Deals Best with Alcohol
Ginger is a type of food with many health benefits and the people have sworn the effects of ginger root when consumed daily in any form. It helps to soothe a headache caused due to a hangover and improves digestion.
- Chew 2-3 freshly cut slices of ginger root to ease the symptoms of Hangover.
- Tea lovers can add crushed ginger root to their recipe, this will also give the same results.
- A brew of Lemon, honey, and ginger also sounds tasty and help to get rid of a hangover.
- This is helpful because it helps in regaining the blood sugar levels of the body, which causes nausea and dizziness.
4.) Make Use of Essential Oils
Oils like peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary are helpful to get rid of a hangover and treat the symptoms. It helps to soothe the head and body ache caused due to a hangover. A massage with eucalyptus oil on your forehead or a warm bath with your body soaked in hot water helps you ease the pain. Peppermint is known as a carminative that helps in flushing out excess gas build up in your stomach and intestine that causes nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain.
- Preparing peppermint tea or chewing fresh leaves of the herb is a proven remedy for an individual to get rid of hangover easily.
- Adding 5-10 leaves of peppermint in your tea recipe and having it twice or thrice a day can help you relieve the symptoms of hangover that linger for more than 24 hours.
5.) Tomatoes Do the Trick
Tomato juice is also added to some alcoholic mocktails; the reason is that tomato has fructose that helps our body in metabolizing the alcohol at a faster rate. This lowers down the effects of alcohol on our body. Similarly, if one takes fresh tomato juice during a hangover, the fructose helps in flushing out the alcohol from your body, thus lowering its harmful effects and soothing the symptoms.
- Prepare tomato juice and sip on it daily.
- You can also get rid of a hangover by having tomato soup and it will also pamper your taste buds, but the fresh juice will give better results.
6.) Some Sworn Health Benefits of Cabbage
The Ancient Greeks and Romans gave special importance to the health benefits of Cabbage. They even used to consume it raw or vinegar-pickled cabbage before drinking alcohol as they believed this will increase their capacity to drink more, without any side effects.
- Having raw cabbage as a salad or preparing cabbage juice help to soothe a headache and ease the disturbance is nerves caused due to the side effects of alcohol.
- Tomato and Cabbage juice mixed together can work wonders for an individual to get rid of a hangover.
7.) Drink Ample Amount of Water
Sipping water throughout the day will surely help you ease the hangover. It dilutes with the alcohol present in the body and lowers its effect on the system. That is why it is also termed as the best-known fluid.
8.) Eating Bland Foods
Have foods that help your body regain its blood sugar levels and act easily on your stomach. Foods that contain fructose also helps in curing hangover as it metabolizes (breaks down and get rid of) the alcohol content in the body and helps to get rid of a hangover easily.
9.) Have Painkillers for Headache
Painkillers like Aspirin help in giving a soothing effect from a hangover. But some pain killers contain Acetaminophen (combination of Tylenol and Paracetamol) that attacks and harms the liver. This may not prove as an ideal medicine for your sensitive stomach. If you are still doubtful with what medicine to take, then please do consult a doctor or a qualified pharmacist.
10.) Rest is the Best Remedy
It is recommended to take as much rest as possible or take a long nap that will help you to get rid of hangover. Do not forget to keep a jug full of water next to you as hangover makes you feel thirsty.
Few Tips That Can Help Prevent Hangover:
- Consuming ample amount of water while drinking alcohol can help reduce its effects on the body.
- Avoid sugary foods while consuming alcohol as this may add to the bad effects of alcohol.
- Try an alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks; this reduces the amount of alcohol consumption by an individual.
- Never mix alcohols with fizz, and carbonated drinks while consuming alcohol because this will increase the rate of alcohol absorption in your body.
- Prefer fresh fruit juices the very next morning to the night of heavy drinking. This will boost the blood sugar levels.
- Having eggs and bread in your breakfast, the next morning will help you give instant energy to fight the symptoms and get rid of a hangover.
Note- It’s better to avoid alcohol as much as possible.