A migraine is one of the top disabling conditions in which the patient suffers from searing headache accompanied by blurry vision and nausea. The pain could be just like as if someone is hammering on your head and this can for sure ruin your day. In this condition the patient becomes sensitive to light and sound. In a study, it was estimated that 18% of the adult population suffer from migraine and this condition is more common in women. But don’t worry, now, there is no need to bear this pain the whole day as this article will help you to find some natural ways to get rid of a migraine.
Causes of Migraine:
- Hormonal changes such as menopause or pregnancy.
- Insufficient sleep or changes in sleeping pattern.
- Fasting or skipping meals as it causes low blood sugar.
- Excessive drinking and smoking. Drinking too much of caffeinated beverages.
- Loud noise or flickering lights.
- Consuming foods containing nitrates and tyramine.
- Salty and processed foods.
- Taking sleeping pills or contraceptive pills.
Stages of Migraine:
There are basically four stages of a migraine. It is not necessary that you experience all the four stages.
Prodome: This is the first stage of a migraine and this happens one or two days before an actual headache starts.
- Stomach aches and constipation.
- Tired and sick.
- Mood swings.
- Food cravings.
Aura: Migraine aura is like a warning for the patient to get ready to bear the searing pain.
- Blind spots in their vision.
- Difficulty in speaking.
- The sensation of pins in arms and legs.
- Limb weakness.
An Excruciating Headache: According to a study, a migraine pain can be there for 72 hours if treatment is not given.
- Searing pain.
- Pain on one side of the head.
- Vomiting and nausea.
- The patient is unable to do certain activities due to the intense pain.
Post-drome: This is the last stage of a migraine in which after a headache the patient feels drained out.
- Confusing thoughts in their mind.
- Patient like to sit in a room where there is no light and noise.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of a Migraine:
1. Oil Massage to Get Rid of a Migraine:
The tension in the neck, head, and upper back leads to a migraine which can interfere with your day to day work. The oil massage will help to relieve the tension and increase the blood circulation. There will be better circulation of the cerebral fluid. During the massage, there is an increase supply oxygen which helps to lift up the mood and reduce anxiety. The oils act as a natural painkiller to get rid of a migraine.
Lavender Oil: This oil is recommended for migraines caused by anxiety disorders as it works as a sedative and antidepressant to relieve stress. It regulates serotonin levels and its anti-inflammatory properties help to minimize pain in central nervous system.
Peppermint Oil: The menthol present in peppermint oil not only gives a cooling sensation but also stimulates the circulation of blood in the brain. This works best with migraines caused by hot disposition.
Eucalyptus Oil: If a migraine is triggered by sinus pressure and congestion then eucalyptus oil is the best choice. The decongestant and expectorant properties of this oil relieve the pain. It also improves the blood circulation.
Geranium Oil: The aroma of this oil helps to deal with fatigue and depression. It is the right choice for people suffering from a migraine caused due to hormonal changes. It improves the circulation and soothes the nerves.
2. Ginger to Treat a Migraine:
This common spice is found in every kitchen. The 200 substances present in it make it an amazing choice to get rid of a migraine. It stimulates muscle contractions, reduces inflammation and blocks the prostaglandins that prevent a migraine. It helps to calm the nerves and soothe the feelings of nausea.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add some fresh crushed ginger.
- Steep it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Filter it and drink to see the instant relief.
- You can also inhale the fumes of ginger and gulp the ginger powder with a cup of warm water.
Precaution: Pregnant women and breastfeeding women should ask for doctor’s help. People with gallstones and ulcers should also consult the doctor before taking ginger.
3. Cold Therapy to Cure a Migraine:
When you do a cold compress the blood vessel constricts and decrease the downstream blood flow and eases the pain. It also helps to reduce the swelling. It numbs the painful tissue and reduces muscle spasms.
- Take a bowl of ice cold water.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil.
- Soak a clean cloth in the water.
- Do the cold compress therapy on your forehead.
Precaution: If you feel too much numbness in the area you are applying cold compress then consult a doctor.
4. Grape Juice to Get Rid of a Migraine:
The riboflavin and other nutrients present in grapes help to relieve a migraine. If a migraine is associated with irregular estrogen levels then the high content of vitamin C balances the iron content.
- Take some fleshy ripe grapes.
- Blend it with a little water.
- Drink this according to your convenience.
5. Nutrients to Help Cure Migraine:
It was estimated that processed and cheesy foods also trigger a migraine. But there is a good news for the patients with a migraine. They can prevent their migraine to trigger by eating nutrients that will help to reduce inflammation and dehydration (these are the symptoms of a migraine).
Magnesium: This nutrient can help any kind of a migraine, but it works best with migraines caused by hormonal changes such as menopause. Magnesium rich foods include sweet potatoes, spinach, brown rice, sunflower seeds and whole grains.
Vitamin B2: Heredity is one of the causes of a migraine. People who suffer from a migraine due to genetic effect have a lack of basic energy which triggers a migraine. Vitamin B2 rich foods include mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, fat-free milk and lean beef.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Omega 3 rich foods help to reduce inflammation and control the blood flow that triggers a migraine. It also reduces the duration, frequency, and severity of a migraine. Omega3 rich foods include fish, eggs, nuts, and seeds.
Water: For the proper functioning of body drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is essential. This calorie-free drink helps you to keep hydrated. You should avoid sugary drinks and alcohol as they trigger a migraine.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of a Migraine:
The nutritional value of apple cider vinegar helps to reduce migraine pains. It also offers other health benefits like reducing bone pain, regulating blood pressure and relieving constipation.
Follow the steps given below:
- Take a glass of water and add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add one tablespoon of honey.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times per day.
Follow the steps given below:
- Mix equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Boil them and remove the heat.
- Keep your face over the bowl and cover your head using a towel.
- Inhale the fumes and feel the instant relief.
7. Exercise to Treat a Migraine:
Exercises help to get rid of a migraine. It helps to lower inflammation, release stress, balance the hormones and improves the quality of sleep.
- Aerobic exercises: Exercises like swimming and walking reduce the frequency and intensity of migraines.
- Yoga: This helps to loosen the muscles and relaxes the tension in the head and neck.
- Meditation: Deep breathing eases the mind and clears the confusion. It helps you to concentrate on the present moment.
8. Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of a Migraine:
The capsaicin present in Cayenne pepper helps to get rid of migraine pain. It depletes the substance P which sends pain signals. It is an antidote for pain and improves the blood circulation.
9. Darkness to Cure a Migraine:
People with migraine often are sensitive to light. In such a case whenever you feel the pain you should slip in a dark and silent room. If you are outdoors then you can wear sunglasses to prevent both artificial and natural light.
10. Coffee to Help Treat Migraine:
Drinking coffee during migraine pain helps to stimulate the nervous system and control the situation. It acts as a natural pain reliever. But for patients, the cause of a migraine can be consuming too much of caffeine.