A runny nose is a very common and irritating problem. It happens when mucus expands in the nasal passages. The increased mucus production is the way in which body flushes the cold or flu viruses, irritants, and allergens out of the body. There are many effective medicines for a runny nose, but they usually have side effects like drowsiness. There are few simple home remedies to get rid of a runny nose instantly without any side effects.
Common Causes of a Runny Nose:
- A common cold.
- An allergic reaction.
- A sinus infection and a sudden change in weather.
- If a runny nose does not get treated on time then it can lead to coughing, earaches, headaches and other problems.
Tips to Get Rid of A Runny Nose
1. Steam to Get Rid of A Runny Nose
Steam is an effective home remedy to get rid of a runny nose. It helps clear out excess mucus that is a reason for a runny nose and sneezing.
- Hold your face over a bowl of hot water and cover your head with a towel to get the steam.
- Breathe in the steam for a least 10 minutes, and then blow your nose. To cure your runny nose try this three or four times a day.
2. Mustard Oil to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
Musrurad oil is very effective to get rid of a runny nose. It has antiviral, antibiotic, and antihistamine properties which provide instant relief from a runny nose and its symptoms.
- Heat a small amount of mustard oil.
- Put one or two drops of the oil in each nostril with the help of a dropper.
- This will help clear up the nasal passages. Do this twice or thrice a day.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil and one tablespoon of caraway seeds in a pot of boiling water. Inhale the steam.
- With the strong aroma, the mustard oil will warm up the respiratory tract, by providing quick relief from a runny nose. Do this twice or thrice a daily.
3. Ginger to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
Packed with the large range of antioxidants as well as antiviral, antitoxin, and antifungal properties garlic helps to provide instant relief from a runny nose.
- Take a small piece of raw ginger and sprinkle salt on it.
- Now chew this.
- Take this several times a day to get rid of a runny nose.
4. Turmeric to Cure Runny Nose
Turmeric is an amazing herb to get rid of a runny nose and other bacterial infections like cold, cough and throat infections. It works as an antidote for a runny nose. Turmeric has strong antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties which make it very effective for treating cold and a runny nose as well.
- Soak one and half teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of linseed oil.
- Put this mixture over heat until it starts smoking.
- Now inhale the smoke through one nostril and then the other.
- Do this twice a day to get a quick result.
- One-half teaspoon of turmeric powder can orally be taken two times a day. You can take it with some water. Doing so will help loosen the mucus in the body.
5. Eucalyptus Oil to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
Eucalyptus oil is known for its healing properties. It is every effective to cure a runny nose and all cold related problems. It works as a decongestant and gives an instant relief from a runny nose.
- Boil a large bowl of water.
- Put seven drops of eucalyptus oil and four drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil to it.
- Wrap your head with a towel and lean over the bowl to trap the scented steam.
- Do this twice or thrice a day.
- You can inhale eucalyptus oil. Take a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a handkerchief and inhale it throughout the day to get rid of a runny nose.
6. Basil to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
With antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties basil has strong healing properties that will make your body hot from inside and treat your runny nose.
- Eat three or four basil leaves empty stomach every morning and before going to bed at night.
- You can also eat two to three basil leaves with jaggery two times a day to get rid of a runny nose and a common cold.
7. Honey to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
With strong antibacterial and antiviral properties, honey helps to reduce the mucus production in the nose and thereby give you a relief from a runny nose.
- Add two tablespoons of honey in a cup.
- Mix a pinch of cinnamon powder and one and a half tablespoon of lemon juice to it.
- Drink this mixture twice daily.
- Mix two teaspoons of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink this two times a day.
- Take a glass of water.
- Put one tablespoon of honey and three or four drops of fresh lemon juice in it.
- Drink it while it is still warm, twice daily.
8. Onion to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
Onion is best known to treat many problems. It contains sulfur which has strong antibacterial properties. It makes loosening up the mucus and banishes the fluid with ease so that you get rid of a runny nose. Simply smelling a piece of onion can cure light sinus infection.
- Cut an onion into thin slices.
- Boil the water in a pot.
- Add onion to the boiling water.
- Leave it for boil for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the hot liquid in a cup.
- Inhale its steam for a couple of minutes.
- Drink the onion tea.
9. Use Humidifier to Stop a Runny Nose
Humidifiers keep the air moist and liquidate the dry mucus from your nose so that it can be flushed out. You can make a humidifier on your own without spending money at home. For doing so, take a pot and boil water in it and let the steam make the air moist around you.
Don’t take over steam because after an extent humidifiers can also cause problems. The humidifier is an effective way to get rid of a runny nose quickly and easily.
10. Garlic to Get Rid of a Runny Nose
Garlic is known for its antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal components. It is very helpful to cure a common cold, influenza, sinus infections and runny nose. Consuming garlic is very effective for the immune system as well.
- Garlic- 2-3 clove
- Onion- 1
- Salt, according to taste
- Cut few garlic cloves and put them to water.
- Leave that water to boil.
- Grate one onion and extract it’s juice.
- Mix this onion juice to the boiling water.
- Add salt according to taste.
- Take this soup twice a day to get rid of a runny nose.
Other Useful Tips to Get Rid of a Runny Nose:
- Sleep with your head elevated.
- Always use tissues to blow your nose whenever required.
- Breathe in the Vicks vapor rub.
- Use unscented and soft tissues to avoid irritation.
- Does not eat spicy food because it can worsen a runny nose.
- Drink enough fluids to keep you hydrated.
- If cold stays over 2 days, then consult a doctor.
- Do not smoke to get relief faster.
- Take cough drops throughout the day if you are suffering from a sore throat along with a runny nose to soothe the throat.
- Use a saline spray to get rid of a runny nose.