In my previous article, about stuffy nose we did learn a few important facts that can cause a stuffy nose and what are its complications in the patient’s health. We also learned a few natural remedies picked up from your kitchen that can help to get rid of a stuffy nose effectively and permanently. We hope that those remedies proved helpful to you and request you to bless us with your wonderful feedback.
Now, for those who have newly discovered this website and have not read the previous articles related to the stuffy nose, we will give you a quick memo to what did we discuss in those previous articles. But, for the entire article, you have to trouble your fingers a bit and search for those articles. Though, we have tried our best to make it easier for you, by tagging those articles at the top and bottom of the page.
“The Recap Article”
A Stuffy nose that is medically termed as a Nasal Congestion is a symptom of a medical condition, related to the respiratory system, especially the nose. The medical condition is marked by a few factors:
- Stuffy or a runny nose.
- Sinus infection.
- Mucus buildup in the nose.
- Swollen nasal passages.
Common Causes of a Stuffy Nose
Nasal congestion does not last longer than a week or 10 days, but if it does, then it can be a symptom of a few underlying causes that include:
- Hay fever.
- Nasal polyps.
- Environmental irritants.
- Benign tumors.
- Deviated septum.
- Chronic sinusitis.
- Allergic rhinitis.
- Foods allergies.
- Enlarged adenoids.
- Respiratory Syncytial Viral Infection.
- Nasal injury.
- Exposure to harmful chemicals.
NOTE- Refer the previous articles for full information.
Here we will be taking about a few essential oils and its health benefits. Making effective use of these essential oils can help to get rid of a stuffy nose permanently. This is because the essential oils potent natural decongestants properties and are an effective natural remedy that helps to treat cold and sinus infection. All you need to choose is the right kind of oil that will help to ease congestion.
Essential Oils to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
1.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
First on the list is the Tea Tree Oil that has natural antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It is capable of fighting a number of medical conditions and nasal congestion is one of them. Tea tree oil when used in its purest form helps to decongest the nasal passages and, it also soothes an irritated throat. This makes it an essential natural remedy to get rid of a stuffy nose.
- All you need to do is smear a few drops of tea tree oil on your palm.
- Rub it on your chest and neck and onto the sinuses.
- Do this with soft hands as vigorous rubbing can cause irritation on the skin.
- Repeating the remedy several times a day will help to improve your breathing.
- As an alternative, you can also take the steam of tea tree oil.
- Simply add a few drops of oil to a pot of boiling water.
- Cover the head with a towel and lean your face over the pot.
- Make sure to keep a proper distance with the pot so that you don’t hurt yourself.
- Drape the towel all over the pot, to make sure the steam doesn’t escape.
- Continue taking the steam up till the water is hot.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day for effective results.
2.) Eucalyptus Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Eucalyptus oil is known for its natural decongestants properties that help to get rid of a stuffy nose. This is because it has natural antiseptic, analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal and antispasmodic properties. All these qualities are enough to describe its health benefits.
- Boil water in a pot and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to it.
- Lean your face over the pot and cover your head with a towel.
- Make sure the towel drapes all over the pot to not let the steam escape.
- Also, keep proper distance with the pot to make sure you don’t burn yourself.
- Continue taking the steam up till the water is warm.
- Repeat the remedy 2-3 times a day.
- This will help to get rid of a stuffy nose.
- Alternatively, if you use a humidifier, pour a few drops of essential oil into it.
- Let the fragrance spread in the air around you.
- It will also help you to get the desired effect.
3.) Peppermint Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
One among the best remedies that help to get rid of a stuffy nose is peppermint oil. It acts as natural decongestants for your nose. Also, the oil has natural antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antiseptic properties that are an addition to it’s already existing decongestants benefits. Peppermint oil also acts as a natural astringent and sedative that help to treat severe sinusitis, nausea, and headaches.
- You can simply add a few drops of peppermint oil to your coffee, tea or fruit juices.
- Alternatively, you can also add a few drops of peppermint oil to your humidifier.
- Taking peppermint oil steam can also help to fight the cause.
- Repeat the 2-3 times a day to get rid of a stuffy nose.
4.) Lavender Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Lavender, the name itself relaxes your body and the nerves. It is an effective remedy to get rid of a stuffy nose by clearing out the blocked nasal passages. Lavender oil also possesses natural antibacterial, analgesic, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties, that is an effective combo to fight every kind of illness.
- Simply smear a few drops of the lavender oil on your palm.
- Rub it on your feet and chest with soft hands.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day for better results.
- Alternatively, you can also add 10 drops of lavender oil, to your bath.
- Followed by equal amounts of peroxide, a tablespoon of baking soda and Epsom salt.
- Soak yourself in this bath for almost half an hour.
- You will surely witness amazing results.
5.) Oregano Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
The strong smell of the oil is one of the essential benefits that help to get rid of a stuffy nose and cure congestion. Oregano oil also has natural antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial and fungicidal properties that are quite effective against sinus infection and nasal congestion.
- Simply soak a washcloth in warm water.
- Put a few drops of oregano oil in it.
- Finally, covering your head with the soaked washcloth.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day.
- Alternatively, you can also add a few drops of oregano oil in the humidifier.
- Rubbing it onto the chest is also an effective remedy.
6.) Lemon Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Lemon oil has natural antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to stimulate the white corpuscles that improve your body’s defense against any bacterial or viral infection. It also proves beneficial to ease congestion and get rid of a stuffy nose.
- Simply add a few drops of lemon essential oil to your humidifier.
- Let the smell of the oil spread in the air around you.
- This will help to ease congestion and cure a stuffy nose.
- You can also rub the oil on the chest and neck area.
- This is an effective home remedy for nasal congestion.
- Do go for a patch test before applying lemon essential oil.
- Do not go out in the sun after using the oil as lemon makes your skin sensitive to the sun.
7.) Rosemary Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Rosemary has natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties that prove beneficial against nasal congestion and infections. This makes it an effective natural remedy to get rid of a stuffy nose.
- Simply rub the oil on your neck, cheekbones, chest and nose.
- This will help to relieve congestion.
- As an addition, you can mix eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, and rosemary oil together.
- Rub this mixture on your chest, nose, temples, and also on your neck.
- This will help to get rid of a stuffy nose easily.
8.) Thyme Oil to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Thyme has natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties that work wonders for the common cold and nasal congestion. This makes it an effective remedy to get rid of a stuffy nose.
- Simply rub the thyme oil on your neck, chest, temples, nose and cheekbones.
- As an addition, you can mix lemon oil, tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil with thyme oil.
- Add this mixture to your bath water.
- Finally, soak yourself in this for almost half an hour.
- This will work wonders in unclogging the nasal passages.
- Avoid using thyme oil while suffering from hypertension.
- Always go for a patch test before application of thyme oil as it can cause skin irritation.