Yeast infections or Mucocutaneous Candidiasis are conditions where the yeast develops and grows in the damp and warmer areas of your body. These areas include the groin, vagina, underarms, underneath the breasts, everywhere the skin stays a bit warm and damp. The microscopic fungi consist of oval cells that reproduce by forming buds. Though there are many types of yeasts, but not all are harmful to your body. Some types of yeasts are even used in baking. But the Candida is a type of yeast that grows on human skin and causes infection. This article will illustrate a few natural home remedies that will help you to treat and get rid of a yeast infection.
The Candida Yeast can even infect your mouth. As it is always damp due to saliva and is also comparatively warmer than other areas of your body.
Is the Infection Contagious?
No, most of the yeast infections are not contagious and are often associated with a suppressed immune system. It is mostly transferred between men and women during sex or direct any contact with the infected area. Since most of the yeast infections are not transmittable so, they are not termed or categorized as STS’s.
Symptoms of a Yeast Infection
A yeast infection includes the following symptom:
- Rashes on the skin
- Inflammation or Burning sensation on the skin
- Bumps or pimples appear on the skin
- Patches or aggravations with a clear or yellow discharge
Some yeast infections in specific areas may have different symptoms like:
Mouth: Thick white patches on the inner lining of your mouth. It can also appear on the tongue. The infection can cause difficulty while eating or drinking. These thrushes are a sign that the person is immune depressed.
Vagina or Penis: Symptoms similar to those seen on the skin, followed by inflammation and pain.
Gastrointestinal Track: Infection here, mostly effects immune-depressed patients. This includes patients diagnosed with HIV-AIDS, cancer or undergoing treatments like Chemotherapy.
Long-term antibiotic therapies can also result in yeast infections.
How to Diagnose a Yeast Infection?
While examining the skin, the health care professional will scrape off a bit of your skin to gather the samples and test them. A new rapid blood test is introduced for Candida’s genetic material. (Polymerase Chain Test). This test helps to distinguish between yeast and other skin infections like Herpes, Cellulitis, bacterial or fungi infections that are sometimes confused with a yeast infection.
Natural Remedies for a Yeast Infection
1.) Yogurt to Treat a Yeast Infection
Lactobacillus Acidophilus is a good bacterium present in Yogurt that controls the growth of infection and helps to get rid of a yeast infection. You can topically apply the yogurt to the affected area.
- Take plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Soak a cotton swab and apply to the affected area.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes to half an hour then rinse.
- You can also leave it overnight for better results.
- This will help to ease the itching and burning sensation.
- In the case of vaginal infection,
- dip a tampon in yogurt and insert it inside.
- Leave it for 2 hours and remove.
- Repeat the remedy twice a day regularly.
- Also, snacking on yogurt also helps to cure the infection.
2.) Coconut Oil to Treat a Yeast Infection
Coconut Oil has antifungal properties that kill the bacteria causing infection. This helps to cure and get rid of a yeast infection quickly.
- Apply coconut oil directly to the affected area using a cotton swab.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get effective results.
- Alternatively, you can also mix coconut oil and cinnamon powder in equal quantities.
- You can also use cinnamon oil if available.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it for 10 minutes.
- This will surely give effective results.
3.) The ACV Remedy
Apple cider vinegar has distinctive components that can control and treat a yeast infection effectively. Always use organic ACV that has the mother.
- Dilute 2 tablespoons of ACV in a cup of warm water.
- Drink the water twice daily for a few days.
- You can also soak yourself in a hot ACV bath for an hour or so.
- You will feel the irritation and burning sensation lessens after the bath.
- Diluted ACV can also be topically applied to the affected area.
- Repeat any of the enlisted remedies regularly.
- This will help to kill the bacteria and get rid of a yeast infection.
4.) Garlic to Treat a Yeast Infection
Garlic is a reputed herb known to cure various skin infections. The antibacterial, antibiotic and antifungal properties of Garlic are highly effective. They kill the bacteria and get rid of a yeast infection fast.
- Prepare a paste of a few peeled garlic cloves.
- Directly apply on the affected area and leave it for a few minutes.
- You can also dilute the paste with Vitamin E oil to enhance the effectiveness.
- Garlic supplements can also be taken as an alternative.
5.) Cranberries for Yeast Infection
These berries contain antibacterial and antifungal properties. These help to fight the bacteria and get rid of a yeast infection fast. It is also an effective remedy for UTI’s and Bladder infections.
- Having cranberry juice twice or thrice a daily helps to treat the infection.
- It also helps to speed the healing process.
- You can also have cranberry tablets.
- This is an alternative to get rid of a yeast infection.
6.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of a Yeast Infection
Boric acid is a chemical substance with mild antifungal and antiseptic properties. These help to get rid of a yeast infection.
- Dilute Boric Acid in water and apply to the affected area.
- Let it work for a few minutes then rinse it off.
- Repeat the remedy daily to get effective results.
NOTE- Boric acid is not recommended for pregnant women.
7.) Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection
Tea tree oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties that help to treat a yeast infection.
- Dilute tea tree oils with any base oil.
- Apply the oil to the affected area.
- Let it sit for a few hours.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day to get rid of a yeast infection.
- In the case of a vaginal infection,
- place a few drops of tea tree oil mixed with a base oil, on a tampon.
- Insert the tampon inside your vagina.
- Leave it for two to three hours.
- Then finally rinse it off.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice daily.
NOTE- We do not recommend tea tree oil for pregnant women as it is harmful to the child.
8.) Oregano Oil to Cure Yeast Infection
Oregano has natural antifungal properties that kill the bacteria. It also helps to boost the immune system. This will help to get rid of a yeast infection on a regular application.
- Topically apply tea tree oil to the affected area.
- You can either mix water or any base oil with tea tree oil to dilute.
- Alternatively, you can also take oregano capsules twice or thrice a day.
- Follow any of the two remedies regularly for a week.
9.) Calendula for Yeast Infection
Calendula is a popular herb that potent many antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to get rid of a yeast infection effectively and quickly.
- Crush a few Calendula leaves.
- Apply the paste to the affected area.
- Leave it for a few minutes to work then rinse off.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice to get rid of a yeast infection.
- You can also use Calendula oil or cream if fresh leaves are not available.
NOTE- We do not recommend Calendula for pregnant women.
10.) Olive Extracts for Yeast Infection
Olives are an effective remedy to cure a yeast infection. This is due to its antifungal, antiviral and antioxidant properties. The anti-inflammatory properties of Olive help to soothe itching and irritation that is the result of infection.
Homemade Olive Extracts
- Take a few fresh olive leaves and finely chop them.
- Place them in a glass jar and pour vodka over it.
- Pour until the leaves drown in the liquid.
- Cover the jar with an airtight lid.
- Place it in a dark corner of the house.
- Leave it for about a week to infuse.
- Strain it into another glass jar and store.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice daily.
- This will help to get rid of a yeast infection.
These natural home remedies are helpful to get rid of a yeast infection and control the symptoms. But if their application does not cure infection then, it is a sign of severe infection that needs professional help. Do not hesitate and consult a doctor immediately.