After writing about how to get rid of acne scars?, how to get rid of pimples?, and how to get rid of teenage acne?, Here comes our another article on How to get rid of baby acne? A baby is the god’s best gift for a mother. We all know that a baby is the top most priority of every mother. A mother does her best to keep the skin of the baby smooth and soft. But sometimes baby acne comes in the way. Baby acne is a condition that affects the baby for a few weeks or months. In this condition small bumps of red color are seen on the face of the baby. Baby acne is also known as neonatal acne and is caused due to the exchange of hormones between the mother and the baby during the last 3 months of pregnancy.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Baby Acne:
1.) Mild Soap to Cure Acne:
The skin of the baby is very soft and sensitive. If you use detergent soaps or harsh soaps it will obviously hurt the sensitive skin of the baby. You should try using baby soaps that are specially made for treating acne. Avoid soaps that contain chemicals as it can also cause other skin problems. Try to buy a soap that has a high percentage of emollients. Avoid over washing skin as it can lead to skin irritation and make the acne worse.
2.) Clean Bed and Clothes to Get Rid of Baby Acne:
If you want to prevent your baby from further baby acne then it is necessary that you keep the bed and clothes and toys of the baby clean. This will prevent the development of dead skin cells and the risk of clogged pores will reduce. Clean everything frequently that comes in contact with the skin of your baby.
3.) Lemon and Honey to Treat Baby Acne:
Both these natural ingredients have strong anti-inflammatory properties that help in curing baby acne. These are 100% safe and can cure infant acne effectively. Try this remedy to see the positive results yourself. Read benefits of honey for acne.
Steps to Use Lemon and Honey for Baby Acne:
- Mix one teaspoon of freshly prepared lime juice and one tablespoon of honey.
- Mix them well so that they blend nicely.
- Soak a cotton ball in this freshly prepared solution.
- Dab it on the small bumps and rashes.
- Let the solution stay on the acne bumps for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and pat the skin dry.
Tip: Pat the skin dry with a towel that has not been washed in harsh detergents.
4.) Breast Milk for Baby Acne:
This is the most natural cure for baby acne. It increases the baby’s immunity to fight common health ailments. It not only helps to get rid of infant acne but also is good for the nourishment of the baby. Neonatal acne can be treated very effectively with breast milk. Breast milk has the presence of glycol nutrients and lauric acid due to which it helps to cure infant acne.
Steps to Use Breast Milk for Baby Acne:
- Wash those small bumps with warm water.
- Apply your breast milk on the acne bumps. Don’t rub, simply dab.
- Allow the milk to dry naturally.
- Do this several times a day to clear acne bumps.
5.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Baby Acne:
It not only helps to get rid of baby acne but also keeps the skin of your baby moisturized. It has a soothing effect on the acne bumps. Oatmeal is a good choice but it can also cause trouble to your baby if it goes inside the eyes. You can use the Aveeno Baby wash, which is a commercial oatmeal product.
Steps to Use Oatmeal for Baby Acne:
- Use your food processor to blend a one-third cup of oatmeal.
- Fill the baby’s bath tub with warm water.
- Mix the prepared oatmeal powder.
- Mix the water properly with the hands to ensure that it is distributed evenly.
- Keep your baby in that oatmeal water for about 10 minutes. Remember that this should not go into the eyes of the baby.
- Don’t wash the baby’s skin with normal water. Pat it dry with a towel.
- Repeat the process once daily to get rid of acne bumps.
6.) Coconut Oil to Cure Baby Acne:
The hydrating and soothing properties of coconut oil make it an effective way to cure baby acne. It is a natural product and hence is 100% safe to be used on the baby’s skin. It is suggested that you should use unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined coconut oil is commonly known as extra virgin coconut oil. Its antimicrobial nature will protect the baby’s skin from bacteria and skin allergies.
Steps to Use Coconut Oil for Baby Acne:
- Wash the baby acne with a mild soap and water.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the baby acne.
- Massage the area in circular motions so that the oil is absorbed by the skin.
- Apply coconut oil on the small bumps twice a day.
- Repeat the process until the acne is gone.
7.) Vinegar to Treat Baby Acne:
The oil-soaking ability and the antimicrobial properties of vinegar will help you to get rid of baby acne. The only problem is that it can be harsh on the baby’s delicate skin. But you can overcome this problem by diluting it with water. Try this amazing remedy to cure baby acne.
Steps to Use Vinegar for Baby Acne:
- Take a bowl and add 10 tablespoons of water.
- Mix one tablespoon of vinegar in this water.
- First, apply it on a small part of the hand. This is done in order to check whether the skin is sensitive to this solution or not.
- If the skin is sensitive, then don’t use this remedy.
- Apply this solution on the small bumps.
- Leave it for a few minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
Precaution: Do not apply concentrated vinegar on the baby’s skin always dilute it well before use. The skin of a baby is very delicate and concentrated vinegar can burn it.
8.) Cornstarch to Get Rid of Baby Acne:
The skin drying properties of cornstarch make it a perfect choice to get rid of baby acne. Cornstarch solves this problem of baby acne by absorbing the excess oil in the skin. Don’t overuse cornstarch as it can make the skin very dry. Do this remedy only once in a day.
Steps to Use Cornstarch for Baby Acne:
- Take normal water and mix a small amount of cornstarch.
- Apply this paste on the small bumps.
- Do not scrub it as the skin of a baby is very delicate.
- Allow it to stay on the small bumps for about 45 minutes.
- Clean the area with warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process daily until the baby acne disappears.
9.) Baby Powder for Baby Acne:
This is one of the most effective ways to get rid of baby acne. Baby powder has oil soaking properties. The baby powder when applied on acne bumps dries the excess oil in the skin. It makes sure that the pores remain unclogged. The only thing that you have to check while buying a baby powder for baby acne is that it should have ingredients like cornstarch and talc. Burt’s Bees is one of the most natural powder that you can use for baby acne.
Steps to Use Baby Powder for Acne:
- Clean the skin of your baby with a mild soap and water.
- Pat it dry and apply baby powder.
- Spread the powder gently with your fingers.
- Do this several times a day to get rid of baby acne.
Precaution: Be a little careful while applying baby powder near the nose as it can have harmful effects when inhaled.
10.) Avoid Using Oily Lotions:
If your baby is having acne then don’t apply moisturizing lotions on the face. This can increase your problem as oily lotions can clog the pores. Sometimes you will see that the area having the acne bumps is dry. This dryness is because of the over active oily glands. If you will put more oil or lotion the baby acne will get worse. Instead, you can use a moisturizing baby soap to reduce the dryness of that area. Use a non-oily cream to keep the skin of the baby soft and nourished.
11.) Change in Diet of Nursing Mothers:
Mothers who are breast-feeding should know this that what they eat is really important. If your baby has an acne it might be because of your eating routine. It has been discovered that baby suffer from rashes and acne if the nursing mother consumes a lot of organic products. A few changes in diet can prevent your baby from acne and other skin problems. You need to cut down on dairy products, citrus products, sugar and dandelion tea. Avoid eating food items that are too sweet or excessively arid.
12.) Sugar to Cure Acne:
This one of the easiest and safest way to cure baby acne. Sugar helps to remove the dead skin cells from the skin that clogs the pores. Instead of sugar, you can also use cocoa. All you need to do is take one tablespoon of sugar powder and mix some honey nectar in it. Add olive oil and water. Stir all the ingredients well together. Apply this solution on the acne prone area and leave it for 3 to 5 minutes. Wash the area with clean water. Do this at-least 2 times a day to get promising results.
Tips for Baby Acne:
- Breastfeeding mothers should avoid fruits that are too sweet. Citrus fruits can cause skin allergies in babies.
- Check the acne bumps on every body part. The reason is that baby acne is generally on the face. If you find bumps on any other body parts, then consult your doctor as it could be eczema or cradle cap.
- Make sure that your baby doesn’t scratch those bumps. Scratching may lead to serious skin infections.
- Do a patch test first to avoid skin irritation.
- Dry your baby’s face after spitting or drooling.
- Avoid using astringents on the skin of your baby.
- Do not apply topical creams on your baby’s skin.
- Never scrub the skin as it is very delicate.
- Do not prick or squeeze the baby acne.
- Avoid using lotions that can clog the pore.