After writing about to how to get rid of sore throat?, how to get rid of phelgm?, and how to get rid of flu?, Here is our next article on how to get rid of bronchitis? Bronchitis is a kind of respiratory diseases where the mucous membrane in the lungs, which is called bronchial passage becomes inflamed. The inflamed membrane swells and grow thicker and shuts off the small airways in the lungs. This results into a cough, followed by phlegm and breathlessness. This article is all about the home remedies to get rid of bronchitis. People suffering from asthma can also suffer from asthmatic bronchitis, inflammation of the lining of bronchial tubes. This disease comes in two types:
- Acute- it lasts from one week to three weeks.
- Chronic- lasts at for many years.
Causes of Bronchitis:
Bronchitis is commonly caused by the bacteria or viruses which affect the bronchial tubes. Few other causes of bronchitis are given below:
- A cough and cold
- Changes in the atmosphere
- Dusty air or fog
Symptoms of Bronchitis:
Here are the common symptoms experienced by adults or children are
- Chest pain or tightening of the chest
- Complications in breathing
- Coughing with mucous (greenish or yellowish)
- Muscle aches
- Nasal congestion
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Bronchitis
1.) Use The Honey
Being antiviral and antibacterial in nature, honey is useful to get rid of bronchitis. It helps to ease the throat. It also makes the immune system stronger. Honey also helps to reduce the inflammation and congestion.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey in your regular cup of tea.
- Take a pinch of black pepper, fresh ginger paste and a little amount of clove powder.
- Mix all the ingredients together with a half teaspoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture to get rid of bronchitis and burning sensations.
2.) Take Help From Ginger
Ginger is also very useful to get rid of bronchitis. Due to anti-inflammatory properties, ginger help relieves the inflamed, irritated or swollen bronchial tubes.
- Add cinnamon and clove in a cup of hot water with ground ginger, in the same amount.
- Stir it well and drink this solution two-three times a day to get relief from bronchitis.
- A tea can also be prepared by adding a teaspoon of each, ginger powder and black pepper in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes, add some honey to it.
- Drink this twice a day.
3.) Gargle With Salt Water
Gargling with salt water is one of the best ways to get rid of bronchitis. It is a simple remedy to treat bronchitis. You just simply have to add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and gargle with it. This remedy will cut some of the mucus causing irritation and ease the inflammation in the throat.
Do not use the excessive amount of salt as excess salt can cause an inflammation in the throat. Gargle with salt water twice or thrice a day to treat bronchitis faster.
4.) Use Sesame Seeds
Sesame is also very effective to get rid of bronchitis. It cures the chest pain and the symptoms related to chronic bronchitis.
- Combine half a teaspoon of the sesame seeds powder in two tablespoons of water to form a thick paste.
- Consume this mixture twice a day to get fast relief from bronchitis.
- Combine a teaspoon of linseeds, a teaspoon of sesame seeds and a pinch of common salt.
- Also, add a tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture every night before going to get rid of bronchitis fast.
5.) Mustard Will Help
Mustard stimulates the blood circulation through dilation of the capillaries. When applied over the lungs, mustard help opens them up and encourage the phlegm to expel that may be trapped.
- Make a paste of mustard oil by adding enough water.
- Take two eggs and keep yellow part aside.
- Beat the egg white onto the mustard paste.
- Take a warm and damp flannel cloth and spread a thin layer over it.
- Massage on the chest area with olive oil and apply this as a plaster.
- Cover the area to keep it warm.
- Remove this plaster when it gets cool.
6.) Make Use Of Almonds
Almond is a powerful home remedy to get rid of bronchitis. It has so many vitamins and minerals, which can help to cure bronchitis effectively. This super food is a wonderful source of some nutrients like calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Consuming a few raw almonds daily can provide relief from a sore throat and bronchitis.
7.) Use The Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus is one of the best essential oil, which is very useful to get rid of bronchitis. Due to anti-bacterial properties, eucalyptus oil heals the burning sensation and inflamed throat.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the boiling water.
- Wrap your head with a towel and breath in the steam of eucalyptus.
- Tea tree oil or pine oil can also be used for this treatment.
8.) Take a Shot With Essential Oils
Several essential oils are very useful to get rid of bronchitis such as tea tree, anise, peppermint, lavender, rosemary, cypress and eucalyptus oils. All these oil are wonderful home remedies for bronchitis.
- Take 1 teaspoon carrier oil and add 2-3 drops of Anise essential oil to it.
- Now massage your throat and chest with this oil mixture and wrap a warm towel around the affected area.
- An herbal chest rub can also be made by combining 10 drops each of rosemary oil, thyme, peppermint and eucalyptus oil.
- Add half cup of olive oil to it.
- Massage it on the chest and throat gently.
9.) Make Turmeric Milk
Due to anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is beneficial to treat a cough linked with bronchitis. Repeat this remedy to expel the excess mucus and you will get instant relief.
- Put one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and boil it.
- Consume it two or three times a day. For faster results, do this on an empty stomach.
10.) Use The Bay Leaf
Bay leaf is one of the easiest and simplest ways to get rid of bronchitis. It can be consumed as a tea. It has some antibacterial properties, which help to cure inflammation caused due to bronchitis.
- To make a tea, boil a cup of water.
- Take a fresh bay leaf and put it in boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Soak bay leaves in hot water.
- Apply it as a poultice on the chest.
- Cover the chest with a towel.
- Rewarm it whenever it cools down.
11.) Try The Thyme Tea
Thyme is one of the best herbs with antibacterial properties to get rid of bronchitis. It can be used as seasoning. You can also make a thyme tea to cure bronchitis.
- Take a cup of boiling water and add a half tablespoon of thyme to it.
- Steep it for at least 5 minutes.
- Add some honey to it for sweetening.
- Thyme oil can also be very effective to treat bronchitis.
- Dilute it by adding olive oil.
- Rub the oil mixture on the chest to treat congestion.
12.) Use The Licorice Roots
Licorice tea is an effective remedy to treat inflamed throat. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties which help to reduce swelling caused by bronchitis
- Add a good amount of licorice roots in the boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Drink 1-2 cups of licorice tea daily.
13.) Make Use Of Lemon
The citrus properties of lemon will help you to get rid of bronchitis. It is a wonderful remedy to cure bronchitis. All you need to do is add one teaspoon of lemon juice in a cup of warm water. You can even put a lemon wedge in boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes. Drink this water 2 to 3 times a day to get relief fast.
14.) Drink Some Extra Water
Water is a wonderful remedy to get rid of bronchitis. It helps to thin the mucus and expel it. Make sure you drink lots of water when you are suffering from bronchitis. Drink vegetable juices, fruit juices and 10 glasses of water daily. You need to avoid caffeinated beverages and alcohol because they cause dehydration and makes the mucus thick.
15.) Take Help From Onion
The presence of expectorant properties in onion helps to dissolve the phelgm and mucus, thus providing you instant relief from bronchitis. Onions will also prevent the further buildup of mucus and infection. All you need to do is consume one teaspoon of onion juice daily in the morning on an empty stomach. Try to use onions in your daily cooking.
Few Additional Tips to Prevent Bronchitis:
- Drink enough water when you are suffering from bronchitis.
- Do not smoke as it can worsen the situations.
- Make a distance with scented candles, air fresheners, etc.
- Use humidifiers to add moisture in the air.
- Take enough rest.
- Consume almonds in any form as much as you can i.e., chocolate coated or candy coated.
- Do not come in the contact with air pollutants
- Wash your hands and face frequently during the flu season.