In this article, we will be discussing a few remedies to get rid of canker sore, but let’s first get to know about canker sore and the reason for its occurrence. A canker sore is basically a shallow, round or oval-shaped, like a crater, can also be called as an ulcer that affects our mouth. They can occur anywhere inside the mouth from lips to cheeks and even on the tongue. They appear to have a red outline and white or yellow in the center. These ulcers are painful and can cause difficulty in speaking or chewing food.
An individual can have more than two ulcers in their mouth at a time. They are not contagious, unlike cold sore that can easily spread from one person to another. Anyone can get affected with canker sores, but these are more common in women, teens and young adults.
Causes Of Canker Sores:
They have no particular source of occurrence and only tend to run within the family. But these sores can develop when an individual is:
- Too stressed or tired
- For women, it can develop during the menstrual cycle.
- It sometimes also occurs when an individual has food allergies.
- Sensitivity inside the mouth also causes canker sores.
- Biting of the lips is also a common reason.
- People with braces tend to hurt their lip or tongue that can develop canker sore.
- Deficiency of Vitamins and Minerals like iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid can also cause canker sores.
Symptoms of Canker Sores:
- The main and only symptom of a canker sore is getting a shallow ulcer in the inner linings of the cheeks, on the lip or on the tongue. The ulcers are, either large or small in sizes.
- These ulcers can continue to hurt you for 7-10 days and some minor sores heal within a day or two.
- Major canker sores take up to six weeks to heal completely.
- They usually begin with a tingling feeling at the site of its occurrence which is swollen and painful.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Canker Sore
Often, canker sores are something not to worry about and heal on its own in a couple of days. The maximum to which a canker sore can last is 6 weeks. If it takes more than that to cure, then you need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
1.) Baking Soda Gargles
Baking soda is an alkaline agent that helps in neutralizing the acid content inside the mouth that irritates the sores. It kills the bacteria so the sore heals quickly. Baking soda is also an effective remedy to get rid of canker sore easily.
- Rinse your mouth with baking soda solution.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and half cup of lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy twice a day to get rid of canker sore.
2.) Milk Of Magnesia Mouthwash
MoG has antacid and neutralizing properties in it that help to get rid of canker sore by neutralizing the acid that causes these sores.
- Use it as a mouth was by sipping it in a small amount and swishing it all over, especially in the affected area.
- Spit it out and then rinse your mouth.
- Also, you can directly apply the MoG on the ulcer by soaking a cotton swab in it and placing it on the affected area.
- Leave it for at least 2-3 minutes then wash your mouth with cold water.
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a day to get better results.
3.) Aloe-Vera Remedy
Aloevera is a first aid remedy that ensures speedy healing and acts as a pain-killer. Sometimes dry canker sores hurt a lot, so in that case aloevera acts as a moisturizer to soothe the pain and dryness. It is an effective remedy to get rid of canker sore.
- Slice a fresh aloevera leave and scoop off the gel.
- Remove excess saliva from and around the sore using a cotton swab.
- Apply the gel using an ear bud or cotton swab.
- Repeat the procedure as many times as possible for a speedy recovery.
4.) Tea Bags are Great Neutralizers
Tea is alkaline in nature, so it neutralizes the acid that irritates your sore. It also has a few compounds that help relieve pain and get rid of canker sore.
- Soak a tea bag in lukewarm water and damp a cotton swab in it. Now apply this on the sore.
- Also, you can directly apply a damp tea bag on the sore by placing it at the site inside your mouth.
- Keep it on the sore for five minutes and then remove.
- Do not rinse your mouth.
- Repeat any one of the above procedures as many times as possible in a day to get quick results.
5.) Sage: An Antibacterial Remedy
Sage contains antibacterial properties that kill the bacteria and viruses inside the mouth. This maintains the hygiene levels of your mouth. It also has compounds that reduce pain and inflammation, thus help to get rid of canker sore.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried sage powder to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cool at room temperature.
- Use it as a mouthwash twice or thrice a day for fast and effective results.
- Make sure to swish it at the site of sore.
6.) Salt Water Gargles
Common salt has a higher sodium chloride content that draws water from the surrounding tissue, this process is known as Osmosis. It helps in healing the infection and get rid of canker sore quickly.
- Gargle or rinse your mouth with salt water for at least 30 seconds.
- Repeat the remedy thrice a day.
- This will help your sore heal faster.
7.) Licorice Tea to Get Rid of Canker Sore
Licorice has many health remedies and is readily available in most of the kitchens.
- Prepare licorice tea by soaking a tea bag in a cup of boiling water. Now, cover it with a lid and let it cool down
- Drink this tea twice a day.
- You can easily get the licorice tea bags at nearby stores.
- Also, you can directly chew the licorice sticks, but it may hurt your sore so tea is the better option.
8.) Chewing Guava Leaves
This may sound weird, but it definitely works. Guava or Bayabas is known for many health benefits, but recent studies unveil its qualities of treating mouth ulcers and canker sores.
- All you need to do is get fresh Guava leaves and wash them in lukewarm water.
- Now chew them until the leaves have turned into a paste inside your mouth.
- Spit it off but do not rinse your mouth.
- Let the leaves work on the sore.
- Chewing a few Guava leaves twice or thrice a day helps in curing canker sores quickly.
9.) Munch On Antacids
- Antacid tablets help to neutralize the digestive enzymes that are eating up the tissue in the sore. This will help to get rid of canker sore.
- Chewable tablets of Tums, Bismol or Rolaids can treat your sores.
- You can put a tablet on the site and allow to dissolve.
10.) Home Made Numbing Spray
Prepare the spray with peppermint and eucalyptus essential oil that are anti-inflammatory agents. The spray help you ease out the pain and the anti-microbial properties of these oils help to cures the infection. The swollen tissues cause discomfort for which astringent is the remedy that helps to tighten the surrounding tissues. They also numb the nerve ending those are firing off and causing inflammation and pain.
- Take two tablespoons of olive oil or grape-seed extract.
- 10 drops of peppermint oil.
- 8 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- A spray bottle or a dropper.
- Take olive oil in the spray bottle and mix the essential oils with.
- Shake the bottle well for all the ingredients to mix.
- Now spray or apply the solution using a dropper directly to the canker sore for instant pain relief.
Note- Shake the bottle well before each use to avoid settling down of a few ingredients.
Few Tips to Cure Canker Sores at Home:
- Drink cold fluids like beverages, fruit juices, iced tea, or chilled plain water.
- Ice cream’s work best in treating canker sores. This might cause a tingling sensation to the site of ulcer but works effectively.
- Soft foods like marshmallows, soups, yogurt are easy to swallow.
- Avoid spicy foods, coffee and citrus fruits.
- It also hurt while brushing your teeth, so be careful.
- Medicines like Anbesol, Orabase or milk of magnesia are also available at the drug stores. Use a cotton swab to apply the medicine on your sore and leave it there for at least 3-4 minutes.
- You can also take a pain-killer. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs also referred as (NSAID’S) such as Aspirin, ibuprofen can help you ease the pain.
Note- Aspirin is not for individuals younger than the age of 20 because it can have the risk of Reye Syndrome.