In my previous article, we did learn about canker sores, the reason for their occurrence and a few complications that are associated with canker sores. The article that entitled “How to Get Rid of Canker Sore?”, also dealt with a few natural remedies that must have surely helped you in treating those painful wounds inside your mouth that make it difficult to eat or drink anything. This writing piece is also in continuation but, will deal with few other ways that can help to get rid of canker sores quickly and permanently.
Before we move on to the remedies, let’s discuss all the details about canker sores with the help of a quick recap. This will make it easier for all those newbies to connect with the content, who have recently discovered the website or have not read the previous article, the reason being anything.
“The Recap Article”
Canker sores are basically shallow, round or oval-shaped wounds that are also termed as Ulcers. They can simply appear anywhere inside the mouth from cheeks to the inner ling of the lips. Even your tongue can be affected with these painful craters. These wounds have a red outline and white or yellow center. The wounds are quite painful and can even cause difficulty while speaking or chewing food.
An individual can easily get affected with more than two ulcers at a time, in their mouth. These are not contagious, unlike the cold sore that can easily get spread from an infected person to another through direct contact. Canker sores are more common to affect the women, teens, and young adults.
Common Causes of Canker Sores:
There are no particular causes of an individual that gets affected with canker sores. They simply run within the family. Although, a few causes that are associated with canker sores include:
- Stress, tension or fatigue
- It can develop in the mouth during the menstrual cycle in women.
- Food allergies can also trigger canker sores.
- Biting of the lips is also a common reason.
- Mouth sensitivity can also cause canker sores.
- People with braces tend to hurt their lip or tongue. This may also result in canker sores.
- Vitamins, Minerals like iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid deficient bodies can also get affected with canker sores.
Common Symptoms of Canker Sores:
- The only symptom that is witnessed while suffering from canker sores is small red colored bumps with white or yellow centers.
- They develop on the inner lips, cheeks, tongue, or even below the tongue. Their sizes vary from large bumps to tiny pinpoint ulcers.
- These may tend to last for up to 7-10 days and other minor sores last for 2-3 days only.
- Severe canker sores take up to six weeks to completely vanish from the skin’s surface.
- It gives a tingling feeling during the initial stages when a canker sore begins to develop on the site. After which it feels painful and swollen.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Canker Sores
Canker sores are something that you typically do not need to worry about as they heal on their own. The maximum to which a canker sore lasts is for about a month. If it takes more than that, then you need to seek immediate medical help. Natural remedies are mostly preferred to get rid of canker sores and some of them even gave wonderful results
1.) Chamomile Tea for Canker Sores
Chamomile is most commonly used when you get sleepless nights. It also promotes relaxation and stimulates the gut. A chemical compound present in chamomile that is called bisabolol, or levomenol, have shown proven results to treat inflammation. The natural anti-inflammatory properties help o fight infection and get rid of canker sores fast.
- Soak a bag of chamomile tea bag in water.
- Leave this to induce for a minute.
- Place it directly on the canker sore.
- Dab on it for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get rid of canker sores fast.
2.) Sage Herb for Canker Sores
Sage is used widely in the culinary world. It is also used as an age old remedy to get rid of canker sores, especially used by the native Americans.
- Simply take a handful of dried sage herb and boil in water.
- Allow it to infuse for a few minutes.
- Use this as a natural mouthwash.
- Simply gulp it in your mouth, do not swallow.
- Just swish it all over the mouth, paying more attention to the affected areas.
- Continue doing this for a minute, then spit it out.
- Finally, rinse your mouth with plain water.
- This will help to get rid of canker sores easily and quickly.
3.) Coconut Oil for Canker Sores
Coconut oil has natural anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help to get rid of canker sores effectively. So, if you are in doubt while suffering from canker sores, use this natural remedy as an instant relief.
- Simply dip a Q-tip in coconut oil.
- Dab it on the canker sores.
- Use the oil in an ample amount so that it coats the area.
- This will also prevent the area from dryness that causes pain.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get rid of canker sores
4.) Clove Oil for Canker Sores
Clove oil potent natural pain killers that help to treat the throbbing pain and inflammation caused due to infection, especially in your mouth. It is an age-old remedy for tooth age and other dental problems. In its purest form, this oil is a useful remedy to treat oral pain ranging from toothaches to canker sores.
- Mix 5 drops of clove oil in half a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to clean the area.
- Do not use a mouthwash as it can make your mouth sensitive.
- This can cause inflammation to the area that comes in contact with the clove oil.
- Dip a Q-tip in this oil mixture.
- Simply dab it on the affected area.
- Keep it in place for 4-5 minutes and then remove.
- Repeat the remedy 2-3 times a day to get rid of canker sores fast.
5.) Organic Honey for Canker Sores
Due to its natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, raw organic honey acts as a wonderful remedy to get rid of canker sores. This is because of its gooey consistency that coats the area and keeps it moist. Thus, preventing from dryness and inflammation.
- Clean the area properly by rinsing it with warm water.
- Do not use a commercial mouthwash as it can irritate the area causing severe infection.
- It can even spread the infection to other sites of tour mouth.
- Simply dip a Q-tip in raw honey and apply to the canker sores.
- Reapply it after every few intervals.
- This will help to get rid of canker sores on a regular application.
6.) Prevent the Area From Injury
In case you have a canker sore on the site that has continuous frictions with your teeth, this can worsen the infection causing unbearable pain in that particular area. Also, if you wear braces and the sores are somewhere nearby, this can irritate the already inflamed area. All you need to do is cover the soring site with a beeswax. Beeswax will reduce the friction and prevent the sores from further injuries. Thus, initiating a speedy healing process.
- Simply melt a tablespoon of bee wax.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil In it.
- Bring the oil to room temperature and then use a Q-tip to apply this oil mixture on the sores.
- You can also place a dollop on the edges of your braces, sharp tooth or dentures.
- This will prevent the soring site from friction.
- Thus, helping to initiate the healing process and get rid of canker sores fast.
7.) Cayenne Pepper for Canker Sores
Cayenne has capsaicin, which is responsible for mediating pain responses in your body. This makes cayenne pepper a great natural remedy to get rid of canker sores. It may sound the opposite due to its chilly hotness, but this thing works. Trust me!
- Mix a few drops of water in cayenne pepper powder.
- This way you will get a smooth paste of this pepper.
- Use a cotton ball to dip in this paste and apply to the canker sores.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get rid of canker sores.
8.) Salt for Canker Sores
When you increase the salt content around the canker sore, water is drawn from nearby sites, eventually balancing the concentration levels. This process is called as Osmosis. Also, when the water is drawn out from around the areas, this reduces the painful puff that initially developed, forming the base of the sore. Salt water gargles are also helpful in reducing the inflammation caused due to infection at the site. Thus, making it an effective home remedy to get rid of canker sores fats.
- Simply stir half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Use it as a natural mouthwash.
- Gulp it in your mouth, do not swallow.
- Swish it all around your mouth, paying special attention to the infected sites.
- Continue for 3-4 minutes, then spit it out.
- Repeat the remedy thrice daily to get rid of canker sores fast.