Cold sores also referred as fever blisters are small bubble-like structures that either appears on you face or even inside the mouth. These may cause pain and irritation sometimes. So, if you are suffering from anything as such, then yes, they are cold sores and you need to treat them well. In this article, we will discuss a few natural remedies that will help you to get rid of cold sores easily and permanently.
Cold sores most commonly appear on the chin, lips, cheeks, nostrils and less frequently can also be witnessed on the gums or the palate i.e. the roof of your mouth. The reason for their occurrence is the Herpes Simplex Virus The type 1 virus is more common to cause cold sores inside or around your mouth. The type 2 virus causes cold sores in the genital area. This is the result of having sex with the herpes infected person. Type 2 herpes virus can also cause cold sores near the mouth area, but his is due to having oral sex with the herpes infected person.
Cold sores are sometimes confused with canker sores, though both of them are totally distinct from each other. These generally appear inside the mouth on the soft tissues where cold sores do not appear at all. Cold sores are quite common these days and there is no remedy that can help the already infected person but, steps measures can be taken to reduce the infection and its frequency over time.
The infection is highly contagious and can easily spread from an individual to another through direct contact or sharing of personal stuff. When it enters a human body, it stays dormant for a long period until certain triggering elements activate it. The severity of infection varies from person to person. There have been cases where the person carried the virus and never had any outbreaks. This was because the virus stayed dormant and was never ever triggered.
Some Common Symptoms of Cold Sores:
- Lesions on the lips or tongue.
- Swelling in the affected area.
- Mouth ulcers.
- Difficulties in swallowing.
- Sore throat.
- Swollen glands.
- Rise in body temperature.
Factors that Trigger a Dormant Herpes Virus:
- Mental stress.
- Exposure to the sun.
- Injury to the affected area.
Complications of Cold Sores:
Cold sores when appears on the lips or inside the mouth, can cause difficulty in drinking and the patient may feel reluctant to do so, to avoid any discomfort. Eventually leading to the decrease of water in your body, thus resulting in dehydration.
In this case, the infection not only stays at the origin but, can also spread to the other parts of your body. This usually happens when you body parts either have an injury or an infection that lets the virus in.
This is the condition where the eyes are also affected with the infection. The area around the eyes become swollen and irritated. In such cases, sores may also develop on the eyelids of the infected eye. The severity of this type of infection can even lead to blindness if the infection is left untreated for a long period. This is because the virus reaches the cornea and starts spreading infection.
This kind of complication during a herpes virus infection can be deadly because the brain is now affected by the viral infection. Fortunately, this type of condition is extremely rare and can be effectively treated with proper medications.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Cold Sores
1.) Lemon Balm to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Lemon balm is a member of the mint family and is also an effective remedy to get rid of cold sores. This is because it helps to reduce the inflammation and swelling caused in the affected area due to infection. Application of lemon balm helps to reduce the time that is usually taken by a blister to heal, thus speeding the healing process.
- Apply lemon balm mixed with your regular lip balm.
- Prepare a homemade lip balm using lemon extracts and bee wax.
- Simply melt the bee wax using the double boiler technique.
- Add a few drops of lemon extracts and stir.
- Remove from heat and let it set at broom temperature.
- When set, your balm is now ready to use.
- Simply apply it to the affected area regularly until the blisters completely disappear.
- You can also use the lemon extract hot compress as an alternative.
- This compress is made of lemon balm infusion (tea).
- Repeat any of the above remedies regularly until the infection is completely cured.
2.) Lysine to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Lysine is a type of amino acid that are the building blocks of protein. They help to reduce herpes infection and also prevent its triggering and breakouts. Regular intake of Lysine supplements can also prevent future flare-ups.
- Either maintain a regular intake of lysine supplements.
- As an alternative, you can also apply the lysine lotion directly to the affected area.
- Both the remedies are effective to get rid of cold sores and fight the virus causing infection.
3.) Stress Reduction Technique to Get Rid of Cold Sores
This may sound weird, but as we discussed earlier in the article, stress is also one of the key factors that can trigger the dominant herpes virus. So, all you need to do is reduce the amount of stress in your life.
- Perform yoga, meditation and other mind and body soothing exercises to get rid of stress and tension.
- Avoid other causes that push your mind into any kind of stress.
- This will help to reduce the severity of a herpes infection and also prevent its future flare-ups.
4.) Ice Pack to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Ice helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation caused in the affected area due to the infection. Well, ice may not be a permanent treatment that will help you to get rid of cold sores but is surely a temporary relief.
- Simply place a few ice cubes on a clean washcloth.
- Wrap it and apply to the affected area.
- Keep it in place for 2-3 minutes then remove.
- Repeat the remedy until the ice-cubes completely melt.
- Alternatively, you can also use a commercial cold compress.
- It also gives the same effect.
5.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Aloe vera is known to have natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe the pain and irritation caused to the affected area. It is also an effective remedy to treat genital herpes that is caused due to the type 2 herpes virus.
- Simply scoop out the gel from fresh Aloe Vera leaf.
- Soak a cotton ball in it and apply to the affected area.
- Let it remain on the skin and dry.
- No need to wash it off.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day.
- Wash your hands properly before and after you treat the infected area.
6.) Zinc Oxide to Get Rid of Cold Sores
Zinc Oxide is known to have natural properties that help to reduce the symptoms of cold sores like itching, inflammation, pain and irritation. If applied within 24 hours after witnessing the symptoms it can also help to speed up the healing process by shortening the time taken by the blisters to completely heal.
- Simply apply the zinc oxide cream topically to the affected area.
- Leave it to dry then wash off.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day.
- This will help to get rid of cold sores easily and effectively.
Preventing Tips to Get Rid of Cold Sores:
- Maintain proper hygiene.
- Avoid direct contact with the infected person.
- Avoid kissing or any kind of physical intimacy with the infected person.
- Wash your hands properly, every time you treat the infected area.
- Avoid sharing of personal stuff with the infected person.
- Avoid touching other parts of your body including genitals while suffering from a herpes infection or even after treating the infected area.