Constipation means when the bowel movements are difficult to perform and you need to apply immense pressure every time you try to excrete. Though it happens less often and almost everyone suffers from constipation once in their life. In this article, we will discuss a few natural remedies that will help to get rid of constipation and bring the system back on track.
The time intervals between bowel movements depend on from person to person. Some people may have the bowel movements thrice a day. For others, it may happen once or twice in a day or even in a whole week.
If the time interval increases from once or twice a week, taking more than 3-4 days to excrete then this is usually too long and is not normal. Because of the delay, the stool or feces become hard to pass. So, you need to apply excessive pressure. Thus leading to constipation.
Symptoms of Constipation:
- Abdominal pain.
- Fewer bowel movements.
- Difficulty to pass the feces.
- Vomiting, hard or small stools.
- Strain during bowel movements.
- A feeling that something is still stuck in.
- Swelling in the abdomen area.
Causes of Constipation:
- Colon Cancer.
- Being Inactive.
- Eating Disorders.
- Limited water consumption.
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Excess consumption of dairy products.
- Changes in usual diet or unhealthy diet.
- Antacid medicines that contain calcium or aluminum.
- Overuse of laxatives as this weakens the bowel movements.
- Also, problems with the muscles and nerves in the digestive system.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation
1.) Oil Stimulate the Bowel Movements
Olive oil is not only good for cooking or to get a beautiful skin. It also helps to get rid of constipation and stimulate the bowel movements. It greases the inner lining of the digestive system and helps to get the things moving through the colon. If consumed regularly it also prevents Diarrhea.
- Take a tablespoon of olive oil and mix a teaspoon of lemon juice in it.
- Start your day with this remedy every morning, on an empty stomach.
- This will help to get rid of constipation and prevent it from occurring in future.
2.) Scents Freshen up From Inside Out
Did you know that your stomach cherishes the smell of fresh lemon or other citrus fruits as much as your nose and the tongue? Lemons are known as an effective remedy that helps to get rid of constipation and diarrhea fast that helps stimulates the digestive system. It helps to flush out the toxins from the body and other unwanted, undigested materials that accumulate along the walls of the colon.
- Dilute lemon juice in a glass of lukewarm water to neutralize its taste.
- Start your morning with this drink on empty stomach.
- This will help to stimulate bowel movements and get rid of constipation.
- You can also have it undiluted if you can bear the citric acid in your mouth.
- Have a spoon full of lemon juice every morning on an empty stomach.
3.) Molasses is a Magical Remedy
Blackstrap molasses has been the savior for most of the constipation sufferers. The reason behind its magical effects is the cane sugar juice, which is first boiled to concentrate and then crystallized. The product that we get after this process is Blackstrap Molasses. It has vitamins and minerals, especially magnesium. The trio is an effective remedy to get rid of constipation. While you enjoy its flavor your body will thank you for its health benefits.
- Consume a teaspoon full of blackstrap molasses every morning.
- If you don’t like the flavor then mix it with tea or lukewarm water.
- This will dilute the taste.
- You can prefer the quantity on the basis of its effect.
- So, if you don’t find a teaspoon of molasses effective then go for another spoon full of it.
- This will surely give the desired results.
4.) Coffee is Your Best Friend
A lot of people are aware of the magical effects of coffee in stimulating the bowel movements. Some of them even take a cup to the loo to do their morning rituals. Apart from the heavenly aroma it also helps you to perk up. Caffeine is known as a natural bowel stimulant.
- Brew a cup of hot coffee and slowly sip on it until you feel the pressure building up in your lower abdomen.
- 1 or 2 cups a day can help you get the desired results.
- Do not exceed the intake as it can also work the opposite.
- Excess caffeine can dehydrate your body, ending up with constipation.
- So, be cautious and do not get over friendly with your best buddy.
5.) Snack of Fibrous foods
You must have heard people talking about the benefits of fibers and how it stimulates the bowel movements. It helps to relieve and prevent constipation to struck again. The magical word is so effective that it itself signifies the end of toilet sufferings. Fibers have the tendency that acts like a sponge for your body instead of being digested and flushed out. It stays inside your body and draws water from the surroundings or inner linings of the intestine and make it swell. This softens the stool and makes it easier to pass through the anus. Thus helping to get rid of constipation and preventing the reoccurence. List of some fibrous foods is below:
- Nuts and seeds
- Potatoes (not the fries)
- Whole grain bread
- Apples, pears, and plums
The word may sound weird but the meaning is explained here in detail. Though some “health conscious beings” will easily understand the meaning but for those who are new to this, the heading means the intake of FLAX diet. Flax seeds are a rich source of fiber and thus helps to get rid of constipation and stimulates the bowel movements. The Flax seed oil is 10 times more effective than the seeds.
- Mix a tablespoon of flaxseed oil with a glass of orange juice.
- Drink the juice while suffering from constipation.
- All you need to have is patience as it takes 4-5 hours to work up.
- This does not mean that you exceed the dose.
- It can result in an extreme case of an upset stomach.
- So, just drink the juice and relax. Take a short nap if you cannot sit idle or go for a walk.
- Another option is to snack on a hand full of roasted flax seeds.
- This is also an effective remedy to get rid of constipation and prevent them in future.
7.) Aloe Vera for Constipation
Benefits of aloe vera are not just limited to your skin but it can also soothe your tummy and prevent infection. The gel scooped straight from the plant is more beneficial than the juice or any other supplement. This is because the gel is more concentrated than the juice.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel with your choice of fruit juice.
- Drink this juice every morning to get rid of constipation.
- Some people can tolerate the taste of raw aloe vera gel so they swallow it directly.
- In case you don’t get the fresh gel then, drink a cup of aloe vera juice.
- It will give the same results.
8.) Baking Soda is a Bowel Stimulant
Baking soda is an incredibly versatile ingredient that proves an effective natural remedy for your body from inside out. Consumption of baking soda is 95% effective to get rid of constipation thus, making it the best remedy among all other. This is because of the bicarbonates present in baking soda that helps to stimulate the bowel movements and encourage the air to come out from your body in either of the ways. It also helps to realkalize the stomach by neutralizing the acids and helping the unwanted things to move out of the body easily without applying much pressure.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in a 1/4th cup of lukewarm water.
- Drink this solution. The quicker you drink the better it results.
- Be cautious while drinking so that you don’t choke on it or inhale it my mistake.
9.) Epsom Salt Remedy
Epsom salt is an effective remedy to get rid of constipation. This is because of two reasons. Firstly, the salt works like a fiber i.e. it draws water from the surroundings and softens the stools, thus making it easier to pass. Secondly, the magnesium present in Epsom salt helps to contact the bowel muscles and makes the feces easier to pass out from the body.
- Take 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt and mix it in a cup of lukewarm water.
- Drink this salt solution to get rid of constipation.
- Another option is to replace the water with any fruit juice.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the salt in a glass of your chosen fruit juice and drink it while suffering from constipation.
- It will take 3-4 hours to work so have patience.
- But, if no signs of bowel movements are evidenced after that then go for another dose.
- Only half a teaspoon of Epsom salt is recommended for children.
- Do not exceed the dosage.
10.) Prunes for Constipation
Prunes are an age-old remedy and a classic cure for constipation and acts as a natural laxative because of the high amounts of fibers present in it. The presence of Sorbitol is an addition to its benefits as it helps to soften the stools because of being rich in carbohydrates. Carbs are difficult to digest so they draw a lot of water from the surroundings and soften the stools making it easier to pass. Be cautious while using Prunes as too much Sorbitol can cause gas and soften the stools to an extreme ending up to an upset stomach.
- All you need is 2 glasses of Prune Juice.
- Drink one in the morning on an empty stomach and the other at night.
- This will easily help to get rid of constipation.
- Have patience as it will take a few hours to work.
- Do not exceed the dosage or you can end up with diarrhea.
- Prunes can also be eaten raw if you prefer it in that way.