Suffering from a cough is the most common health issues. Coughing is considered to be very beneficial to the body because it makes mucus come out of the chest and respiratory tract. But endless or continues coughing makes it hard to sleep and get through the day. You definitely want to get rid of it as fast as you can. In this article, you will get the best home remedies to get rid of cough.
A cough is the common side effect of cold and flu, but it can also be caused by asthma, allergies, acid reflux, smoking, dry air, and some medications. A cough can be very painful and annoying, so try some of the following remedies to get rid of cough quickly.
Types of Coughs:
Croup or Dry Barking Cough:
Croup is a dry cough that causes a clear barking sound. This sound occurs due to swelling or a viral infection right below the voice box in the larynx. Other symptoms of a croup cough may include pain in the throat and difficulty with breathing.
Stress cough is simply an unconscious spasm of the nasal passages induced by an irritant. This type of a cough produces no sputum and is not related to any kind of infections.
Dry Hacking Cough:
The dry hacking cough mostly occurs when there is a viral or bacterial infection in the upper respiratory tract. The main symptom of this type of a cough is the feeling that something is stuck in the throat.
Whooping coughs are caused by bacterial infections. One who is suffering from this illness experiences severer fits of coughing with a deep breath that makes a whooping sound. This rapid coughing cause temporary shortness of oxygen and therefore a child can become blue while during the severe fit. A vaccine for this cough exists and though cases of infection are rare, this disease mostly attacks children.
Causes of Cough:
- Upper respiratory infections.
- Infections in the lower respiratory tract, such as pneumonia and bronchitis.
- Irritants like dust particles and smoke.
- Allergic reactions such.
- Bronchitis and Pneumonia.
- Sinus infection.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Cough:
1. Ginger to Get Rid of Cough
Ginger is generally used to cure a cough and sore throat as it has soothing properties. To get rid of cough, ginger is one of the easiest ways. Cut a piece of fresh ginger and sprinkle some salt on it and chew it for a few minutes. Though not everyone likes the strong aromatic taste of ginger and in such case, drinking a ginger is equally good for a curing cough.
2. Lemon to Get Rid of Cough
Lemon juice contains high levels of Vitamin C. It also has antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is believed that the combination of Vitamin C and the antimicrobial properties make lemon effective and useful for coughs.
- Warm up one cup of honey over low heat.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to the warm honey.
- Add ¼ to ⅓ cup water to the honey-lemon mixture and stir while continuing to heat on low.
- Refrigerate the rest solution. When you need the cough medicine, take 1-2 tablespoons as needed.
3. Turmeric to Get Rid of Cough
It has antibacterial properties. A turmeric gargle also gives good results. To one cup of hot water, mix in half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and half a teaspoon table salt. Use this liquid as a throat gargle and you are sure to experience relief from a cough. Alternatively, hHeat a glass of milk, mix in half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and drink warm to get relief from a cough.
4. Licorice Root to Get Rid of Cough
Licorice root is an expectorant and demulcent, at the sane time, soothing nasal passages by loosening and thinning mucus, easing congestion. It can also soothe any inflammation that may be the irritating throat. Its main component, glycyrrhizin, is responsible for most of its effects.
- Dried licorice root- 2 tablespoons
- Fresh water- 8 ounces
- Boil water and put the licorice root in a mug.
- Add boiling water to licorice and steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink the tea to get rid of cough up to 2 times daily.
5. Mullein Tea to Get Rid of Cough
Mullein is herb which is good to cure almost every common ailments such as coughing, lung weakness, respiratory constriction and chest colds. It is truly a lung healing herb. Verbascum thapsus, a Latin name of mullein is considered beneficial to cure the lung diseases because it is an expectorant.
- Boiling water- 1 ½ cups
- Dried mullein leaves and/or flowers- 1-2 teaspoons
- Dried spearmint- 1 teaspoon
- Honey- 1-2 teaspoons
- Steep the mullein leaves into the hot water.
- Let it strain for 15 minutes.
- Add honey if you want a sweeter tea.
6. Consume Garlic to Get Rid of Cough
Garlic is an amazing solution if you wanted to get rid of cold. Garlic has the ability to reduce high blood pressure and can lower the risk of stomach, rectal or colon cancer. Consuming garlic can treat a sore throat as well as Lyme diseases.
- Chopped ginger- 3 tablespoons
- Dried peppermint- 1 tablespoon
- Water- 4 cups
- Honey- 1 cup
- Cut the ginger and add it to water.
- Put some peppermint to 4 cups of water.
- Bring to boil and then let the liquid simmer until the liquid has been reduced by half.
- Strain and then add 1 cup of honey and stir until it has been dissolved completely.
- Pour in a bottle and take 1 tablespoon every few hours as needed to relieve your cough. You can refrigerate it for up to 3 weeks.
7. Aloe Juice to Get Rid of Cough
With anti-inflammatory property, aloe vera helps in soothing a common cold and cough. This remedy is quite effective and safe for those who are more prone to cold and cough. It acts as a powerful antibacterial and anti-viral agent which stops the growth of micro-organisms causing the disease. The active components responsible for anti-inflammatory are cinnamic acid, lupeol, sulfur, lupeol, salicylic acid and phenol. These ingredients pull out the microorganisms from the body and also keep infections far from the body, which means, providing a quick relief from a cough and cold.
- Cut open the aloe vera leaf and collect the jelly.
- Keep the gel in a pan and heat it for 2 – 3 minutes on low flame.
- Consume it.
- It is kind of bitter in taste but is a very effective remedy to get rid of cough and cold.
8. Cayenne to Get Rid of Cough
Cayenne pepper is very effective to cure as it is very hot. Consuming cayenne makes our body very hot as a result melts the mucus which is trapped chest and respiratory system.
- Take ¼ the teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Add this to one glass of warm water.
- Consume it to initiate a running nose and suppress a cough.
- Cayenne pepper can also be taken along with honey, ginger, and cloves to increase its effect as a natural cough suppressant.
9. Carrot Juice to Get Rid of Cough
Carrot juice gives an effective relief from a cough. It is a very good source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C works as an antioxidant which reduces the coughing problems .
- Take 4 to 5 carrots, add some water and prepare fresh juice.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey for taste and added benefits. Drink this juice 3 to 4 times a day to get rid of cough.
10. Raisins to Get Rid of Cough
Raisins are also very helpful to get rid of cough fast. Follow the steps given to try this remedy at home.
- Take 100 grams raisins, grind them with some water to form a thick sauce.
- Add 100 grams of sugar and heat the mixture until a sauce is attained.
- Consume 20 grams of raisin sauce daily.