Though, cramps are of various types that can simply occur in any part of your body. The pain is sudden and throbbing. It can even give you sleepless nights, in case it’s left untreated and the condition becomes severe. The list is a bit too long to so we will be discussing one type of cramps at a time. Here, in this article, we will discuss Menstrual Crams. This is because these are the most common types of cramps and the natural remedies of which are often looked for, on various search engines. So, we will also make you aware about a few natural home ingredients that can help to get rid of cramps that trigger during a menstrual cycle.
Menstrual cramps are also known as dysmenorrhea or period pains. These painful sensations are felt in the lower abdomen that can occur both before and during a woman’s menstrual period actually begins. This type of cramp ranges from dull and annoying to severe and extreme cases. The release of the egg from the ovaries, mark the beginning of menstrual cramps. This egg then travels down to the fallopian tube. This process is called an Ovulation. Two primary types of these difficult or painful periods exist, that are –
Two primary types of these difficult or painful periods exist, that are –
1.) Primary Dysmenorrheal
It is the most common type of cramp and is characterized by pain in the lower abdomen and lower back area that begins 1-2 days before the period and lasts for up to 2-4 days. There are no underlying factors that cause period pain.
2.) Secondary Dysmenorrheal
It is characterized by cramping pains that occur due to a few identifiable medical problems that include:
- Uterine Fibroids.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
Common Causes of Menstrual Cramps
If there is no sperm to fertilize the egg during the process of an ovulation, the uterus contracts to expel its lining and shed off the mucus and blood. The whole ovulation process is driven by the release of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which is associated with the abdominal pain and inflammation higher levels.
The uterine contractions are responsible for causing the pain that is felt during menstrual cramps. This is because the contractions inhibit the flow of blood to the lining of the uterus, i.e. (the endometrium).
In addition to this, the substances known as leukotrienes are also elevated during a menstruation cycle, and they may be the cause of menstrual cramps.
Medical Conditions Capable of Causing Menstrual Cramps:
- Endometriosis – It is the tissue that lines the uterus and develops outside the uterus
- Uterine Fibroids – These are benign, noncancerous tumors and grows in the wall of the uterus
- Adenomyosis – It is the tissue that forms the inner lining of your uterus and grows into the walls of your uterus
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) – It is not an STD and is usually not transmitted between individuals during sex.
- Cervical Stenosis – It is the opening of the cervix is small and limited menstrual flow.
Common Symptoms of Menstrual Cramps:
The symptoms of menstrual cramps include:
- Dull and throbbing pain.
- Pain in the lower back and the thighs.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Cramps
1.) Buckwheat for Menstrual Cramps
Buckwheat is an ingredient rich in bioflavonoids that are combined with the presence of vitamin C. This makes it an effective remedy to stop bleeding. Bioflavonoids are also a popularly known remedy to get rid of cramps that are a result of periods.
- Simply prepare pancakes out of buckwheat.
- Add your favorite flavors or preferred nuts to these pancakes.
- This will help to enhance its taste.
- Other bioflavonoid rich foods include:
- Brussel sprouts.
- Simply include them in your diet to prevent menstrual cramps.
- They can also be fed on while suffering from periods to get rid of cramps quickly.
2.) Hot Compress for Menstrual Cramps
The warmth of a hot compress helps to soothe the irritating muscles, eventually getting rid of cramps. A number of commercial hot compresses are available at various medical stores that include hot patches and pads, such as Bengay,ThermaCare, or electric, and even the reusable options. In case you do not have a heating pad or do not simply want to buy one, it can be easily prepared at home.
- Simply heat water in a pot.
- Add a tablespoon of salt to maintain the warmth for a long period of time.
- Pour this water into a heat resistant plastic bottle.
- Make sure the water is warm enough for your skin to bear the heat.
- Lie on the couch or wherever you feel comfortable.
- Wrap the bottle in a thin towel and place it over your abdomen.
- Let it stay until warm, then remove.
- If you need more then heat some water again to refill.
- This is an effective remedy to get rid of cramps caused due to periods.
3.) Essential Oils to Get Rid of Cramps
Lavender, clary sage, and marjoram were used in a ratio of 2:1:1, and diluted with 3ml of non-fragrance cream, makes an effective home remedy to get rid of cramps during periods. The pain usually wears off within a day or two this natural home remedy.
- Simply use the oil mixture to massage your abdominal area.
- Start following this from the very first day of your period.
- Continue until it gives complete relief from the throbbing pain.
- This will help to lower the intensity of pain and get rid of cramps quickly.
4.) Have an Orgasm to Get Rid of Cramps
Boosting your endorphin levels can also help to boost your mood, thus relieving from any pain or discomfort caused during periods. Nothing works better than having an orgasm, as it helps to release endorphins, thus working its way out to relieve from cramps and various other discomforts. Working out does as well.
Working out at the gym can also help to get rid of cramps caused due to periods, but all you can think of is to rest while in the midst of a throbbing pain. So, the best option is to have an orgasm. Ask your partner to assist you with in case he is comfortable to go down there during your kinky days.
Well, I guess this remedy does not need a DIY, you are intelligent enough to understand what to do? In case you wanna play innocent, simply google the word “Orgasm”.
5.) Increase Your Magnesium Intake
Foods rich in magnesium act as a supplement that regulates the nerve and muscle functioning, among other vital tasks, thus helping to soothe the discomforts caused during periods. The women are recommended of about 320 mg daily in your to maintain an ample amount of magnesium in their body.
Foods rich in magnesium include:
- Dark leafy greens.
- Whole wheat.
- Beans and lentils.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Dark chocolate.
6.) Chamomile Tea for Muscle Cramps
Chamomile tea has natural pain relieving properties that can help to aid you in getting rid of cramps easily. Having chamomile tea helps to increase the count of Hippurate in your urine that is known to have natural anti-inflammatory properties, thus helping to get rid of cramps and soothe the discomforts caused due to periods. This is because anti-inflammatory drugs help to decrease the production of prostaglandin, thus relieving period pains.
- Simply sip on a cup of hot and freshly brewed chamomile tea.
- This will help to get rid of cramps caused due to periods.
- You can also prefer having it regularly as an overall health beneficiary.
- Or simply drink from the very first day of your periods.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Cramps Include:
- Soaking in a hot bath.
- Use a heating pad to get rid of cramps due to periods.
- Yoga positions.
- A few dietary supplements like (such as Vitamin E, thiamine and omega-3).
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS).
- Women should get ample amount of rest during menstrual cramps.