Suppose you get up in the morning and feel like vomiting or abdominal pain. You go to the toilet and the stools are very watery and after that, you feel weak. Don’t panic you may be suffering from diarrhea, which happens due to the malfunctioning of the digestive system. In this situation, you have frequent and loose stools which can dehydrate you and give you a feeling of dizziness. This can make your day worse and especially if you have to go out for work. In this article, you will find some easy home remedies to get rid of diarrhea. So don’t worry and try these remedies to feel better.
Reasons of Diarrhea:
- Food poisoning.
- Contaminated water.
- An intestinal disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome.
- Lactose intolerance.
- Sugary drinks.
Symptoms of Diarrhea:
- Frequent stools.
- The stools are not firm.
- Abdominal pain.
- Weight loss.
Top Remedies to Get Rid of Diarrhea
1. Activated Charcoal to Treat Diarrhea:
Activated charcoal is used when diarrhea is caused due to overdose and food poisoning. It helps in relieving stomach ache by absorbing the bad bacteria. It helps you to get rid of nauseousness and intestinal gas that is caused due to diarrhea.
- You can buy activated charcoal from nearby stores or you can buy it online.
- You can take the dose according to the instructions written on the bottle.
- The recommended dose for adults is 520 to 975mg.
- Take this for 3 consecutive days. After that, you can take it only when needed.
2. Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Diarrhea:
The antispasmodic properties of chamomile tea help to relieve the abdominal pain that is caused due to diarrhea. It soothes the digestive tract and reduces inflammation. This remedy will give you relief instantly.
- Take a pot of water.
- Add chamomile tea and some peppermint leaves.
- Boil it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drink this tea 2 to 3 times a day.
3. Peppermint to Relieve Diarrhea:
Peppermint tea has an amazing effect on the gastrointestinal tract. It soothes the stomach and reduces the discomfort. Peppermint tea also soaks the extra acid in the stomach. It is also a good choice to treat other stomach problems.
- Add some peppermint leaves in a pot of water.
- Boil the water for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Drink this water whenever required.
- You can also chew some peppermint leaves.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar for Diarrhea:
This cleansing agent has antibiotic properties that kill the diarrhea-causing bacteria. It is loaded with pectin, which adds bulk to the stool. It soothes the GI tract and the irritated stomach. Apple cider vinegar replenishes all the essential nutrients such as potassium and magnesium. It balances the pH level of the stomach.
Follow the steps given below:
- Take a glass of water.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times a day.
- Boil a cup of water in a pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix honey in the water.
- Drink this liquid regularly to get rid of diarrhea.
- Take 8 ounces of warm water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar.
- Add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Drink this liquid daily until you feel better.
5. Fenugreek to Get Rid of Diarrhea:
The mucilage content of fenugreek makes it an amazing choice to get rid of diarrhea. Mucilage covers mucous membranes and prevents nerve irritation along the GI tract. This is why it is a good choice to treat diarrhea.
- Take 2 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Add one-half tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds.
- Mix it well.
- Have this mixture at least 3 to 4 times a day.
- You can also add one teaspoon of fenugreek leaves to one tablespoon of yogurt.
6. Ginger to Relieve Diarrhea:
The shogaol and gingerol present in ginger reduce the pain and inflammation caused due to diarrhea. It detoxifies the digestive system and prevents it from bacteria that cause diarrhea. It slows the peristaltic movement of the bowels and hence eases your discomfort.
Follow the steps given below:
- Grate a fresh ginger.
- Add honey to this.
- Consume this to relieve diarrhea.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add fresh crushed ginger.
- Simmer it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drink this tea on a regular basis.
- Grate some fresh ginger in a blender.
- Add a little water to make a smooth paste.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice in it.
- Add a pinch of black pepper.
- Consume this prepared material twice a day.
- Take one cup of warm buttermilk.
- Add ½ teaspoon of powdered ginger.
- Drink this on a regular basis.
- The buttermilk contains good bacteria that hydrate the body and balances the digestive system.
7. Yogurt to Cure Diarrhea:
Plain yogurt contains probiotics that protect the digestive system from diarrhea-causing germs. It contains lactic acid, which kills the bad bacteria. The lactobacillus acidophilus in yogurt balances the system with good bacteria.
- Eat plain yogurt. Don’t go for flavored one as it may not be much more effective.
- You can add a fruit to taste such as banana.
- Eat this twice a day for better results.
8. BRAT Diet to Get Rid of Diarrhea:
This is one of the best methods suggested to get rid of diarrhea because it helps you to recover faster from a gastrointestinal infection that causes diarrhea. The foods in BRAT diet are easy to digest. They are low in fiber, which helps in firm stools and it adds bulk to your stool.
Bananas: When you are suffering from diarrhea, certain nutrients are lost from the body. Banana is rich in potassium and other nutrients that are necessary for the body to recover. Green bananas have a good content of pectin that adds bulk to your stool. This food will ease your discomfort.
Rice: It makes your stools harder due to its low fiber content which in turn helps to treat diarrhea. You should not eat brown rice as it is rich in fiber and can loosen your stools thus worsening your condition.
Applesauce: This easy to digest quality of applesauce makes it a good choice to get rid of diarrhea. Don’t eat flavored applesauce as it has increased sugar content which may worsen your diarrhea.
Toast: It has a low fiber content that helps to make your stool harder. This is an excellent source of bland carbohydrates that are easy to digest and will not cause any further discomfort to your stomach.
9. White Rice to Relieve Diarrhea:
When you are suffering from diarrhea it is suggested to eat foods that are bland and low fiber. Plain white rice has both the qualities. It acts as a binding food that makes your stool a bit harder. It is suggested to eat plain white rice without mixing any sauces,curry or spice in it. Otherwise, it will reduce its effectiveness.
- Eat small quantity of white rice.
- Don’t eat too much otherwise, it may cause more problem.
- Eat plain rice and don’t add spices to it.
10. Black Seed Oil to Cure Diarrhea:
This is an excellent home remedy to treat a lot of health and stomach problems such as diarrhea, constipation, and gas. Follow the steps given below to get rid of diarrhea.
- Take a cup of plain yogurt.
- Add a teaspoon of black seed oil.
- Eat this twice a day to get rid of diarrhea.
11. Gulp Down Liquids to Treat Diarrhea:
When you are suffering from diarrhea your body loses a lot of fluids which may cause dehydration and make the situation worse. Thus, it is important to drink a lot of fluids during diarrhea. It is recommended to drink 10 to 12 glasses of water per day.
Drinks to Avoid During Diarrhea:
- Milk and dairy products.
- Sugary drinks.
12. Carrots to Get Rid of Diarrhea:
We all know that carrots are good for your eyesight. But apart from this, it is also a good choice to get rid of diarrhea because it is full of vitamins and nutrients that help the body to recover fast. It is rich in pectin which is a soluble fiber that adds bulk to the stool and soothes the digestive track.
- Boil a half cup of water.
- Add some carrots.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Consume those half cooked carrots daily.
- You can also make a carrot soup.