In my previous article “Home remedies for heartburn“, we discussed some of the causes of heartburn and how does it affect your overall health. Heartburn is irritating, especially when it interferes with your daily life. We hope that the natural remedies were quite effective to get rid of heartburn fast and you would prefer giving them a second chance in case of the acid reflux triggers again. This article is in continuation of the previous one and here we will be discussing a few more natural remedies that can help you to get rid of heartburn fast.
For those who have just discovered the website or have not read the previous article, here is a short and simple recap that will make you understand the causes and symptoms of heartburn. But, you have to go through the entire article to get in-depth information about Heartburn. Also, a few natural remedies are enlisted in my previous article that can easily help you to get rid of heartburn fast and relive an acid reflux.
“The Recap Article”
Our stomach combines food, acids and other enzymes that together begin the process of digestion. A group of protective cells lines the stomach to prevent from the effect of acids that can damage the inner lining and cause inflammation. Now, heartburn occurs when these gasses and acids reach the esophagus and cause a burning sensation that is referred as heartburn. Because the esophagus is not prevented with any such inner lining, so the acids irritate the area causing inflammation. Excessive acids in the esophagus can also irritate the inner lining causing severe damage.
Causes of Heartburn:
Heartburn is typically not a medical condition but, a symptom of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Factors that can trigger the acid reflux in your gut as well as certain elements that allow the acid to reach the esophagus include:
Foods that we eat and drink can also trigger acid reflux. This include:
- Carbonated drink.
- Dairy products.
- Overuse of aspirin.
- Ibuprofen tablets.
- Acidic or citrus juices.
- Acidic foods.
- Smoking causes heartburn by lowering the esophageal sphincter.
- A hiatal hernia where an area of the stomach is present within the chest, this lowers the esophageal sphincter and cause heartburn.
- Pregnancy can also trigger heartburn.
- Being overweight and obesity is a major cause of heartburn.
Complications of Heartburn:
Continuous and recurrent heartburn can lead to ulcers. These are the small areas of tissue breakdown, which can result in serious bleeding.
Structures and scarring are other severe complications of heartburn. Sudden changes in the types of cells that form the inner lining of the esophagus are a reault of an acid reflux. This in a few rare cases is also associated with an increased risk of esophageal cancer.
Natural Vitamins to Get Rid of Heartburn Fast
1.) Vitamin B12 for Heartburn
Vitamin B12 helps to aid the regression of Gastroesophageal reflux disease and get rid of heartburn easily. This vitamin is easily obtained in the form of supplements.
Simply include the vitamin B12 rich foods in your diet to get rid of heartburn fast . These foods include:
- Clams (23.3 milligrams in 3 ounces)
- Turkey (48.2 ug in a cup)
- Chicken (13.7 ug in a cup)
- Crab (9.8 ug in 3 ounces)
- Salmon (9.0 ug in half a filet)
- Trout (4.2 ug in a trout)
2.) Folic Acid and Vitamin B6 for Heartburn
These two vitamins help to aid the gastroesophageal reflux disease and get rid of heartburn naturally. The folate found in folic acid helps to relieve the acid build up in your gut.
All you need to do is include Vitamin B6 and folic-rich foods in your daily diet. Some of them include:
- Cooked black-eyed beans (171g in a cup)
- Shredded lettuce (47 g in a cup)
- Cooked spinach (180 g in a cup)
- Cooked asparagus (90 g in half a cup)
- Avocado (201 g in one avocado)
- Cooked broccoli (78 g in half a cup of chopped broccoli)
- Mango (336 g in a mango)
- Orange (121 g in an orange)
- Cooked lentils (198 g in a cup)
- Wheat Bread (29 g per in a slice)
3.) Vitamin A and C for Heartburn
Foods rich in antioxidants help to relieve gastroesophageal reflux disease and get rid of heartburn fast. This is because antioxidants protect your body from free radicals and other substances that can cause cellular damage. If remain untreated, these factors can trigger acid reflux and cause heartburn.
Foods rich in Vitamins A include:
- Cooked sweet potatoes (200 g in a cup)
- Red bell peppers (164 g in one large pepper)
- Cooked dark green leafy veggies (130 g in a cup)
- Cantaloupe Melons (160 g in a cup of diced melons)
- Cooked squash (205 g in a cup of diced squash)
- Dried apricots (119 g per cup)
- Cooked carrots (156 g per cup)
Foods rich in Vitamin C include:
- Yellow Bell peppers (186 g in a large pepper)
- Guavas (55 g per fruit)
- Dark green leafy veggies (67 g in a cup of chopped leaves)
- Kiwifruit (69 g per fruit)
- Broccoli (92 g n a cup)
- Strawberries (18g in a large strawberry)
- Oranges (131 g per fruit)
- Tomatoes (246 g in 2 cooked tomatoes)
4.) Vitamin E for Heartburn
Another rich source of antioxidants is Vitamin E that helps to fight every kind of infection and treat Gastroesophageal reflux disease, thus helping to get rid of heartburn fast .
Vitamin E supplements are easily available at the drug stores.
Foods rich in Vitamin E include:
- Cooked spinach (180 g per cup)
- Almonds (143 g in a cup of whole almonds)
- Roasted sunflower seeds (135 g per cup)
- Avocados (201 g in a single fruit)
- Shellfish (22 g in 4 shrimps)
- Rainbow trout fish (71 g per fillet)
- Olive oil (14 g in a tablespoon)
- Cooked broccoli (156 g in a cup of chopped broccoli)
- Kiwifruit (69 g per fruit)
- Cooked squash (140 g in a cup of diced squash)
5.) Calcium to Treat Heartburn
Calcium helps to tighten the LES valve. This may not act as an antacid but the calcium nitrate present is the most effective remedy to get rid of heartburn fast. This is because calcium nitrate is itself mildly acidic in nature.
The most effective remedy that treats GERD and helps to get rid of heartburn is calcium nitrate powder. To prepare, take 250mg of the powder and dissolve it in water.
Take it after every meal and before going to bed. All you need is a daily dose of 1000mg per day.
Foods rich in calcium include:
- Leafy dark green veggies (20 g in 10 springs)
- Low-fat Yogurt (245 g in a cup)
- Almonds (28 g in an ounce)
- Low-fat milk (245 g in a cup)
- Bok Choy (840 g in one head)
- Low –fat Cheese (28 g in an ounce)
- Fortified soy products (248 g in a cup)
- Cooked Okra (85 g on 8 pods)
- Cooked broccoli (156 g in a cup)
6.) Digestive Enzymes to Treat Heartburn
Digestive enzymes help to decrease the distension of the stomach, thus, making it an effective home remedy to get rid of heartburn fast. These enzymes should be acid-resistant so that they do not limit their work to the small intestine.
- Preparation of the digestive enzymes includes mixing half a teaspoon of digestive enzymes with calcium powder.
- Consume it after every meal, to get rid of heartburn fast . Digestive enzymes are easily available at various drug stores, for you to easily purchase.
7.) Calcium Carbonate to Treat Heartburn
It is an effective home ingredient to get rid of the symptoms of Gastroesophageal reflux disease and treat heartburn. It is also used in many medications to treat acid reflux and indigestion.
An adult needs of about 1500mg of calcium carbonate in their daily diet. This need of your body can also be fulfilled if you drink a quart of milk regularly.
Calcium carbonate-rich antacids if taken on an empty stomach, they neutralize the acid for about half an hour up to an hour.
If taken along with foods their effect increases from 2-3 hours. In case, you often suffer from acid reflux, try taking antacids after every meal or at least twice a day to get rid of heartburn fast.
8.) Probiotics to Treat Heartburn
Probiotics help to aid the digestion and provide the count of good bacteria to your body. This helps to stimulate the gut the treat the GERD, i.e. the Gastroesophageal reflux disease, thus making it an effective home remedy to get rid of heartburn fast . It also treats the irritable bowel syndrome.
They are also effective to treat a few medical conditions that include:
- Intestinal infections.
- Prevent stomach ulcers.
- Vaginal yeast infections.
- Urinary tract infections.
Dairy products like yogurt are a rich source of probiotics as they contain a good amount of stomach friendly bacteria that help to stimulate the gut and treat digestive disorders including heartburn.