In this article, we will be discussing the remedies to get rid of hiccups fast, but let’s first know about hiccups and the causes of its occurrence. Hiccups, also known as Synchronous Diaphragmatic Flutter (SDF) or Singultus are sudden, repeated contractions of the diaphragm muscle. This leads to the snap shut of vocal chords to keep a check on the inflow of air and this whole procedure tends to cause hiccups. Irritation of the nerve from the neck to the chest can also be a reason of hiccups.
There is nothing to worry if you get frequent hiccups as it may not be a matter of deep concern and will cure on its own within a few minutes. But some of the rare causes of hiccups are associated with serious ailments such as pneumonia or building up of harmful substances in the blood (for example: due to kidney failure). Doctors are unable to diagnose a clear cause of hiccups till date.
Hiccups may also lead to some rare health problems like a change of speech, difficulty in eating or sleeping due to continuous hiccups.
Causes of Hiccups
That are many conditions that have been associated with hiccups, but nothing has been proved as the clear cause. Some of the causes are enlisted below:
- Smoking or chewing gums can cause a person to swallow air that causes hiccups
- If a person eats too fast this can also make them swallow air and end up to hiccups.
- Any other activity that might irritate the diaphragm like eating too of fatty foods or over drinking. Carbonated drinks can also end up to hiccups.
- In rare cases, the stomach that sits underneath or adjacent to the diaphragm is stretched or distended that causes hiccups.
- It is also sometimes associated with a reflex against choking.
- Some patients have also complained of hiccups during the treatment of brain tumor that involves the brain stem and some chronic medical disorders. This can also cause trauma to the brain, meningitis, and encephalitis.
- Damage to phrenic or vagus nerve can also cause hiccups.
- Swelling in the liver, infections can cause irritation of the diaphragm ending up to hiccups.
- Acid reflux caused due to various medications can lead to hiccups.
- Hiccups can also be struck in babies after coughing or crying, which is a common problem with a newborn in its initial years of growth. Gastroesophageal reflux can also be a cause of hiccups in babies.
Symptoms of Hiccups
Symptoms of hiccups can be described as brief, irritable spasm of the diaphragm that occurs for a few seconds or minutes and then vanishes. Sometimes they may last longer but there is nothing to worry about as it is not a medical problem.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
The basic home remedies to cure hiccups:
- Hold your breath
- Drink a glass of water quickly
- Put a small quantity of sugar on your tongue and let it slowly dissolve, for babies, you can use corn syrup.
- Gargles can also help to get rid of hiccups Fast.
1.) Drink Water to Stop Hiccups
- Drinking a whole glass of chilled water quickly, can shock the system of your body and thus helps to get rid of hiccups fast.
- Quickly drink a glass of chilled water mixed with honey and your hiccups will be immediately gone.
- You can also gargle with cold or chilled water.
- Another remedy would be to suck on an ice-cube that is small enough to fit inside your mouth.
- The remedy can be made more effective by drinking it upside down. Wondering how?
- Take a glass of water
- Bend down at the waist and put your head down so that you can see your feet and knees clearly.
- Now, take the glass to your mouth and place the other side of the glass. Opposite to the normal edge that you normally place between your lips to drink.
- If required, then repeat the procedure again until the hiccups stop.
2.) Holding Your Breath
This is known to be an age-old remedy to get rid of hiccups fast. It increases the carbon dioxide levels in our bloodstream, this distracts the mind and stops the hiccups.
- Take a deep breath and hold on as long as you can resist.
- Inhale gently in controlled and systematic manner.
- Inhale and again hold on the breath.
- Repeat this cycle several times until the hiccups stop.
3.) Sugar Helps to Get Rid of Hiccups Naturally
Sugar is a proven remedy to get rid of hiccups fast. It is more effective in the case of small children who cannot complete the above-listed remedies. Sugar helps to stimulate the vagus nerve and diverts the mind from hiccups thus curing the problem.
- Take a teaspoon of sugar (white or brown).
- Hold the spoon in your mouth and let it dissolve slowly on your tongue.
- Do not chew or swallow.
- Then, at last, take a sip of water and the hiccups will be gone.
4.) Vinegar Helps to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
Vinegar is known to be an effective remedy to get rid of hiccups as its sour tastes help distract the mind and stop hiccups. You can choose any one of the following either Apple Cider Vinegar, White Vinegar or malt vinegar.
- Swallow half a teaspoon of vinegar followed by a glass of water.
- You can also mix a teaspoon of vinegar with a small amount of water and swallow it slowly.
- Your hiccups will be gone or else you can repeat the remedy if required.
5.) Munch on Peanut Butter
Using Peanut butter to get rid of hiccups is an age-old remedy. It’s gooey and sticky consistency helps interrupt the breathing pattern and diverts the mind thus stops continuous hiccups.
- Put a teaspoon full of peanut butter in your mouth and hold it for a few seconds.
- Let a bit of butter melt in the mouth and then swallow without chewing.
- If needed, then drink a glass of water.
6.) Breath into a Paper Bag
Another tested trick is the paper bag remedy. Breathing into a paper bag increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the body and this makes the diaphragm contract more deeply to inhale more oxygen. This helps to get rid of hiccups fast.
- Place a small paper bag around your mouth as you do when you feel the urge to puke.
- Now, tightly hold the edges, not letting any air to escape.
- Breath slowly and firmly into the paper bag.
- Repeat this remedy several times, keeping the paper bag in its place.
7.) Lemons Do the Trick
Lemon is a proven remedy to get rid of hiccups naturally. The tangy, sour taste of lemon overwhelms the irritated nerves, thus helping to get rid of hiccups fast.
- Put half a teaspoon of undiluted lemon juice in your mouth. Its tangy taste will compel you to swallow it hard and the hiccups will immediately stop.
- Another way is to squeeze a whole lemon in half a glass of water and drink it quickly. You will see the hiccups will be gone.
- Also, you can sprinkle a pinch of salt on a lemon slice and suck on it slowly.
- This will help you to get rid of hiccups fast.
8.) Cardamom for Hiccups
Cardamom is an effective remedy to get rid of hiccups fast. It has the properties that help to relax the muscles, thus stops hiccups.
- Mix a teaspoon of cardamom powder with a glass of hot or lukewarm water and set aside to cool down.
- Now strain the water and drink it slowly.
9.) Chamomile is a Muscle Relaxant
Chamomile can also be used to get rid of hiccups naturally. The muscle soothing and relaxing properties of chamomile help to ease hiccups by stopping the contractions caused in the diaphragm that’s the main reason for hiccups.
- Soak a teaspoon of dried chamomile herb in a cup of water for 5-10 minutes.
- Now drink it slowly and the hiccups will be soon gone.
- Another way is to put 1-2 drops of chamomile essential oil in a brown paper bag and inhale it slowly by placing the bag on your mouth tightly.
- This will not let any air to escape.
- Take deep breaths into the bag until hiccups stop.
10.) Yogurt and Salt for Hiccups
The duo is the best remedy to get rid of hiccups fast and effectively. Common salt is grainy in consistency that irritates the esophagus and consuming yogurt helps the body to focus on its digestion. Th remedy is proven to treat hiccups within seconds.
- Mix a pinch of salt in a cup of yogurt and stir until completely dissolved.
- Have it slowly when the hiccups trigger.
- This will help to ease hiccups and get rid of them easily.
11.) Honey to Get Rid of Hiccups
Honey is another best remedy to get rid of hiccups fast. All you have to do is take a teaspoon of honey and place it on the back of your tongue. Honey helps stimulates the disturbed vagus nerve and makes it work normally as usual. So the sweet taste of the honey helps you to stop the hiccups naturally.
12.) Scare Therapy to Stop Hiccups
The best way to stop hiccups naturally is the Scare therapy. It works great all the time. Scaring interrupt your adrenalin and thereby reduce your vagus nerve from irritation. If you are scared, then you will be more afraid about what is to happen to you next. So certainly the vagus nerve relieves from the irritation and come back to its normal condition. So you can easily fix the hiccups.
You Can Try Anyone of These Below Given Ideas:
- Watch a Horror Movie.
- Getting shocked while watching Crocodile, Snake, insects or any animals.
- Someone makes you angry.
- A rapid shock while driving.
- Let somebody surprises you, etc.
Note: Don’t get scared too much!
13.) Pull Out Your Tongue to Treat Hiccups
This stupid method works excellent for most of the people. This is the easiest and fastest way to get rid of hiccups. You may feel shy to do this method in public. But this is one of the prompt remedies to stop hiccups. Just pull out your tongue out with your fingers for a while. This action could promote the diaphragm spasms and thereby relieve the vagus nerve.
14.) Magnesium to Get Rid of Hiccups
If your hiccups last for a longer duration, then you should go for antacid tablets. But make sure that the tablet must contain high magnesium content. Magnesium tablets do wonders in curing hiccups.
Magnesium has the capability to reduce the irritation and soothe the vagus nerve. Thus, you can get rid of hiccups easily. One tablet is enough, but if necessary then you can take 2 tablets.
15.) Pranayama to Relieve Hiccups
Yoga has a tendency to stop hiccups in the name of Prayanama. Prayanama is one of the breaths controlling practices in Yoga. Pranayama helps opens the vocal cords and thereby stops the hiccups instantly.
- Breathe deeply through your nostrils. Fill and hold the air in your lungs for few seconds. Now you can feel that your lungs and heart are expanding.
- Now you can realize that your lungs and heart are expanding.
- Then, breathe out through your nostrils. Now your chest and lungs contracts and come back to its normal form.
- Repeat this method for about 10 minutes to get rid of hiccups naturally.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast:
- Sing or laugh loudly to distract your mind.
- Sip on fizzy beverages, this will induce a burp and the hiccups will go away.
- Hold your tongue with your finger and tug on it. This will help to ease the diaphragm spasm and stops hiccups.
- Tickle the soft palate on the roof of your mouth to divert your mind.
- Put your fingers in the ear and take a deep breath.
- Chew on freshly cut slices of ginger root.
- Drink alcoholic beverages, but in moderate quantity, because they can damage the lining of the food pipe, causing frequent hiccups.
- Avoid quick or overeating and spicy foods that irritate the lining of the food pipe.