In this article, you will come across some natural ways to get rid of hickeys fast. A Hickey is also known as a love bite or kiss mark, which is caused due to aggressive kissing or sucking of soft skin around the neck or arm. Our body has many types of blood vessels for blood circulation. The smallest among those vessels are capillaries. During aggressive kissing or biting on the soft skin these capillaries break and the blood spill out into the surrounding tissue. The blood gets clotted beneath the skin due to which it looks red in color. The red color is because the area is not getting oxygen. After a few days when the blood dries, the hickey turns into a purple or dark brown color. Later, you can read articles on how to hide a hickey?, how to get rid of bug bites?, and how to get rid of bruises?.
How Long Do Hickeys Last?
Most of the people ask that for how long a hickey last. Though hickeys can be passionate and fun, but they are for sure inappropriate and embarrassing in professional and family life. It generally lasts for one or two weeks depending on its severity. The blood that has been collected in the tissue slowly spreads and then is reabsorbed by the skin. The best part is that hickeys neither cause permanent damage nor leave permanent marks.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Hickeys Fast:
1.) Apply The Aloe-Vera Gel
It reduces the sensitivity of the hickey because of its moisturizing properties. Aloe-Vera has anti-inflammatory properties that will help the broken capillaries to heal fast. It will soothe your skin and reduces inflammation and appearance of the bruise.
- Extract some fresh Aloe Vera Juice.
- Massage it on the hickey in circular motions.
- Repeat the process thrice a day to get rid of hickeys fast.
- You can also use an Aloe Vera cream. Apply the cream several times on the hickey.
2.) Use The Peppermint
This is an amazing choice for treating hickeys fast as it has a stimulant effect, which improves the blood circulation. It heals broken capillaries and soothes the affected skin.
- Apply some peppermint oil on the hickey.
- Massage the oil in circular motions.
- Do this twice a day for treating hickeys.
- You can also apply a toothpaste containing peppermint.
Precaution: Peppermint can cause skin irritation if it is used more than 2 times.
3.) Banana Peels Will Help
The soothing and cooling properties of banana peels will heal the hickeys fast. It will reduce the swelling and inflammation. This is one of the best remedies to get rid of hickeys fast. Try the remedy to see the amazing results.
- Take a ripe banana and peel it.
- Use the inside of the peel.
- Massage it on the bruise gently.
- Allow it to stay for 20 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy thrice a day to reduce the appearance of the hickey.
4.) Massage With Cocoa Butter
This vegetable fat extracted from the cocoa beans act as a natural moisturizer which heals the hickeys fast. It encourages the growth of skin tissues. It is suggested to use the cocoa butter after the warm compress. This way its effectiveness will be increased.
What to do:
- Soak a cloth in warm water.
- Place it on the hickey and press it gently.
- Use a clean towel to dry the hickey.
- Apply a layer of cocoa butter.
- Massage the hickey in circular motions.
- Do this daily to remove hickey.
5.) Take Help From Vitamin K
Vitamin K is a good choice to get rid of hickeys fast because it prevents coagulation. It speeds up the healing process. If you are eating supplements of vitamin K then the body will reabsorb the pooled blood.
- Apply a cream rich in Vitamin K to heal the hickey.
- You can also eat vitamin supplements.
- Consume foods rich in Vitamin K such as spinach, fish,broccoli and soya bean oil.
6.) Apply The Ice Cubes
Due to the broken capillaries, there is blood clotting beneath the skin. To heal the hickeys fast it is important that the blood clots should be broken. Ice cubes will spread the blood and hence the hickeys will heal fast. It will reduce bleeding and will heal the broken capillaries.
- Take a clean cloth and wrap some ice cubes in it.
- Press it against the hickey.
- Continue doing this for a few minutes.
- Do this several times a day to heal the bruise.
Note: It is suggested not to apply ice directly as it can cause an ice burn.
- Keep a set of spoons in the refrigerator.
- Leave it for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Use a clean cloth to wrap the spoon.
- Press the spoon gently against the affected area.
- Change the spoon if it is not cold.
- Do this several times a day to get rid of the hickey.
7.) Use The Cold Coin Method
This is a painful method, but for sure will give you positive results. You just have to stretch the hickey to make it flat. When you will scrape the hickey, the clotted blood will spread and will be reabsorbed by the skin. Don’t scrape the skin too hard otherwise, the hickey will become worse. After doing this method the skin will become red, but don’t worry this will happen only for a short while.
- Stretch the affected skin with the help of your fingers.
- Use a coin to scrape the hickey.
- Don’t be too harsh on it otherwise, it will turn into a wound.
- The area will turn red but this will only be for a short time.
8.) Orange Will Help
The vitamin C content of oranges makes it a good choice for treating hickeys fast. Oranges have bleaching properties which heal the hickeys fast. It reduces the appearance of hickeys. You should eat a lot of oranges as it promotes the healing process. This is one of the best remedies to get rid of hickeys fast.
- Apply the pulp of orange on the hickey.
- Leave it for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with normal water.
- As soon as you notice a hickey drink a glass of orange juice to speed up the healing process.
9.) Apply Some Alcohol
This is one of the fastest ways to cure hickeys. The reason behind this is the disinfectant, soothing and cooling properties of alcohol. Rubbing alcohol for sure will reduce your discomfort. After applying alcohol, use a good moisturizer as alcohol has dehydrating properties.
- Rub the alcohol on the affected area.
- Keep doing this for at least 5 minutes.
- Wash the area and apply a good moisturizer.
- Do this several times a day until hickey disappears.
10.) Use The Toothbrush
This is one of the fastest ways to treat your hickey as it spreads the clotted blood and removes the hickey. Use a stiff-bristled toothbrush for this purpose. Don’t be too harsh otherwise, you will end up scratching the area which can cause swelling and pain.
- Gently brush the affected area.
- Do this for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a clean cloth.
- Press the cloth against the hickey.
- Do this for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process to get rid of hickeys fast.
11.) Hot Compress The Hickeys
Many people have confusion whether the cold compress is more effective or the hot one. Here is a simple answer to your confusion. Cold compress is very effective when the hickey is fresh while hot compress is more effective when the hickey is already set and you need to heal it fast. A hot compress boost the blood flow and breaks the hickey apart.
- Warm a pan of water and soak a cotton cloth in it.
- Make sure that the water is warm but not boiling.
- Squeeze the excess water out and press the cloth against the hickey.
- Do this 3 to 4 times a day to see best results.
12.) Massage The Area
This is one of the most effective and safest remedy to heal your hickeys fast. When you massage your hickey the blood disperses and the color of the hickey starts fading. All you need to do is gently massage the hickey with your fingers. Don’t be too harsh otherwise you may end up hurting yourself. Start massaging from the center of the hickey towards the outer edges. You need to do is two times a day to get best results. Use a warm compress while trying this remedy to speed up the healing process.
Other Useful Tips to Hide the Hickeys:
- Apply makeup to look beautiful and hide your hickey. You can apply a layer of concealer to hide the hickeys.
- Wear a cute scarf to hide the hickeys.
- Cover your hickey with clothes. You have many options like you can wear a turtle neck, full sleeve sweater, and collared shirts.
- If you have long hair then style them to hide your hickeys.
- You can wear jewelry to hide the hickeys on the neck.