Hives are a pesky condition that consists of red or white spots that you would feel itchy bumps, either red or skin-colored. Their size varies most of the time. Sometimes it can be only a few millimeters wide, whereas others can be as large as a human hand. They can emerge throughout the body, or it may be vigorous in a certain region. These marks may disappear in a few hours, only to re-appear in a different part of the body. This will appear like a never-ending cycle, till the time you have completely recovered from the attack. This article is all about hives, their symptoms and remedies to get rid of hives.
What Causes Hives?
Generally, hives rise mainly from a certain reaction due to fewer harmful toxic penetrate into the body and release histamine into the skin blood vessels. Even though hives can be provoked by different causes, but it is known that allergies, infections, and stress are the major elements contributing to a potential risk of hives. Symptoms of hives can last anywhere from minutes to months or year
Allergies: When someone is allergic to a food or drug, usually causes them. Allergic reactions cause your body to release chemicals that can make your skin swell up in hives. People who are allergic to something are more likely to get hives. Some foods that cause allergies are, berries, shrimps, chocolates, nut milk and other dairy products are mostly responsible for hives.
Infections: It is not very widely known that you are exposed to infections resulting in hives, including insect stings, flower pollen, bacterial infections, dust mites or sunlight exposure.
Stress: Few people don’t think that stress can be a big problem until they are attacked by stress causes. This is also the same situation for hives. Don’t wait until it happens to you, and then you know how harmful stress is.
Symptoms of Hives:
- Itchy bumps, either red or skin-colored.
- Resemble bug bites.
- Hives can appear on anywhere on the body. They can change shape, disappear, move around and reappear over a short span of time.
- Pressing the center of a red hive does it turn white – a process called “blanching.”
Causes of Hives:
- Wrong Medications, such as antibiotics aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Insect bites.
- Physical stimuli, such as cold, heat, pressure, exercise or sun exposure.
- Blood transfusions.
- Bacterial infections, including strep throat, urinary and tract infections.
- Viral infections, including infectious mononucleosis, the common cold and hepatitis.
- Some plants, such as poison oak and poison ivy.
- Pet dander.
Top Remedies to Get Rid of Hives
It is like a nightmare when the body is tendered towards this kind of annoying marks resulting in getting itching as well as burn and bites. If you suffer from hives, you won’t feel comfortable to do anything but put all your mind to your itchiness to the point skin is hurt due to scratches. All is needed at that time is a quick home remedy to get rid of hives fast.
1.) Use a Cold Compress
Most of the skin specialist suggests cold compress as the best solution for the hive. Skin irritation is the major symptom of hives. You should treat the skin to help reduces the hives. Take a clean towel and soak it in cool water. Squeeze out the excess water and put over the affected areas. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then repeat this again and again, which will turn your skin cool.
- Use a cool compress as long as you need to soothe away the hives.
- Don’t use very cold water because in some cases, this can make the hives worse.
2.) Make a Pineapple Compress
Pineapples are also used to get rid of hives. Bromelain is an enzyme found in pineapple helps to reduce the swelling of hives. Crush some fresh pineapple, and place it on a cotton towel. Pull all the corners of the towel together and tie them off with a rubber band. Place the pineapple filled towel over the affected area.
When not in use, store the pineapple compress in a closed container and refrigerate. Use as often as needed, but replace it every 24 hours.
Pineapple pieces can also be used directly on your hives. Use Bromelain supplements available in the market, which you can also take to help with the hives.
3.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Hives
Oatmeal works very effectively to get rid of hives. Because of its anti-inflammatory, anti-irritating and soothing properties, it helps provide relief from itching and help skin heal quickly.
- Combine two cups of ground oatmeal and one cup of baking soda.
- Add this mixture to a bathtub filled with warm water. Mix it well and soak in this water for at least 15 minutes.
- Enjoy this bath twice daily until the condition improves.
- Alternative trick to use oatmeal
- Mix two cups of oatmeal with two tablespoons of cornstarch in enough water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the hives for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy once daily to get rid of hives.
4.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Hives
Baking soda is another well-known remedy to treat hives. With anti-inflammatory properties, baking soda helps reduce itching as well as Inflammation.
- Add one cup of baking soda to a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Mix it in well and then soak in the water for at least 30 minutes.
Another Way to Use Baking Soda:
- Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with enough water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it off with warm water. Use one of these remedies once daily or as required to get rid of hives.
5.) Ginger to Get Rid of Hives
Widely famous as a ‘wonder drug’, ginger can be used to get rid of hives. Due to its strong antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties. In short, ginger kills the genes and enzymes that result in inflammation and improving circulation to the skin, relieving swelling and reducing the itching.
- Boil one tablespoon of fresh ginger and one-quarter cup of brown sugar in a three-quarters cup of vinegar for few minutes.
- Mix a spoon of this solution to the with warm water and dab on the hives several times a day.
- Peel the off a small piece of fresh ginger root and gently rub the ginger onto the affected skin. Do this two or three times daily.
- You can also chew on fresh ginger pieces or drink ginger tea a few times daily.
- Use any of these remedies daily till your skin heals completely.
6.) Basil to Get Rid of Hives
Basil works as a natural antihistamine and therefore it is very effective for treating hives. It can effectively fight with inflammation and itching.
Put one tablespoon of dried basil leaves with hot water in a jar. Cover the jar and let it cool. Apply this mixture on the inflamed area by using a cotton cloth.
Another Way to Use Basil:
- Crush some fresh basil leaves and gently apply them on the affected area. Allow them to dry and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- To get rid of hives, follow one of these remedies as many times as needed for relief.