A migraine is an intense, sometimes unbearable headache. Migraines can start in childhood or may not arise until early adulthood. According to a survey, women are three times more likely to have migraines. It is a hereditary. In this article, we will share a few tips to get rid of migraines.
What is a Migraine?
A migraine is an alarming, painful headache which can be followed by sensory warning signs like blind spots, flashes of light, nausea, tingling in the some of the body parts, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to sound and light. The intense pain that migraines bring can last for hours or even days. A migraine is a common problem among Americans about 12% of the population are suffering from a migraine.
What Activates Migraine Headaches?
People suffering from migraines can clearly identify the reasons that cause the headaches, but many people are not able to notice. Potential migraine triggers include:
- Allergic reactions.
- Loud noises, smoky rooms, flickering lights, bright lights, strong smells, temperature changes, and certain odors.
- Physical or emotional stress, anxiety, tension, depression, excitement
- Tiredness, jet lag, exercise.
- Irregular sleep.
- Exposure to smoke.
- Fasting causing low blood sugar.
- Tension headaches.
- Hormonal triggers.
- Foods containing tyramine, monosodium glutamate, or nitrates.
- Usually, severe pain cramps to one side of the head during an attack.
- Increasing pain during physical activity.
- Not able to perform regular activities due to pain.
- Feeling sick and physically tired.
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound.
Migraines with Aura:
Many people warning signs just before or during the head pain, but many do not. Aura is a type of a migraine. It is perceptual disturbances such as:
- Confusing thoughts or experiences.
- The thought of strange lights, sparkling or flashing lights.
- Unpleasant smells.
- Difficulty speaking.
- Blank patches in the vision.
- Pins and needles in an arm or leg.
- Stiffness in the shoulders, neck or limbs.
Top Methods to Get Rid of Migraines
1. Chamomile to Get Rid of Migraines
Chamomile is packed with the antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties that give relieve in migraines. Drinking chamomile tea regularly can prevent the problem to some extent.
When suffering from migraines, using German chamomile (Matricariarecutita) will give you best results. So, when buying this herb, go for the label that says “German chamomile”.
- Steep two to three teaspoons of chamomile flowers in a cup of hot water for a few minutes.
- Add some lemon juice and honey.
- Strain and drink tea three or four times a day for relief from migraines.
- Alternatively, make an herbal tea by boiling equal quantities of chamomile, horehound and meadowsweet in hot water for five minutes.
- Strain and drink it.
- Repeat as required.
2. Ginger to Get Rid of Migraines
A study indicates that ginger is very effective in the treatment of common migraines. As ginger blocks prostaglandins named chemicals which promote the muscle contractions, effect hormones, and control inflammation in blood vessels in the brain.
- Drink ginger tea 3-4 times a day until you get relief.
- Simply chew on a piece of raw ginger root is also very helpful to treat the problem and relieve symptoms of a migraine like nausea and digestive distress.
3. Ice Pack to Get Rid of Migraines
Using an ice pack is the most popular home remedy to get rid of migraines or headaches. Ice has a numbing effect that stops the pain.
- Place a few ice cubes on your temples, forehead or the back of your neck for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat as required.
4. Cayenne to Get Rid of Migraines
Cayenne is the natural remedy to treat pain and inflammation due to a migraine. The secret of this specialty lies behind an ingredient called capsaicin, which retard the main elements in pain perception called Substance P. That is a part of what makes us feel pain, and the capsaicin breaks it. It is said that when cayenne is applied topically to the nasal passages, people experience a slight decrease in the cramps of their headaches.
You will Need:
- Cayenne powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Warm water-4 ounces
- Cotton swabs
- Mix a ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder in warm water.
- Soak a cotton swab in the solution and stir it
- Apply on the nasal passage to get rid of migraines.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Compress to Get Rid of Migraines
Apple cider vinegar relieves everything from scurvy to hay fever, and just about any other ailment that falls in between. It is proven that ACV is very effective in treating certain illnesses. If you are experiencing a throbbing headache, try getting an apple cider steam treatment to get rid of apple cider vinegar.
You will Need:
- 1/4 cup of ACV
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 1 cup of fresh and cool water
- Stream ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar into a bowl
- Fill the bowl middle with boiling water.
- Cover your head with a towel
- Catch the steam, and hold your face over it.
- Be careful your face isn’t too close that it gets burned by the steam.
- Do this until the water starts to cool down.
6. Fish Oil to Get Rid of Migraines
The regular intake of fish oil can help reduce migraines and other pains related to head. Due to omega-3 fatty acids, it promotes heart health. The ingredients in fish oil may help reduce blood clotting, inflammation, lower blood pressure, and stable heart rhythm. So in turn heart may help reduce a headache because it may reduce the inflammation of blood cells.
You will Need:
- 1 tablespoon of fish oil or fish oil supplements.
- 1 glass of orange juice.
- Mix a tablespoon of fish oil in a glass of cold orange juice
- Drink it up.
- Read the instructions while using fish oil capsules.
7. Ginger Root to Get Rid of Migraines
Ginger root is a natural remedy to get rid of a migraine. If you’re getting trapped with a migraine, ginger root can help finish your nausea. Just sip a steaming cup of ginger root tea and relax while you wait for your headache to soothe up.
You will Need:
- Ginger root -3 quarter size slices.
- Water- 2 cups.
- Cut a piece of raw ginger root in 3 slices.
- Simmer the pieces of ginger in 2 cups of water and put the lid for 30 minutes.
- Strain the water into a mug and sip slowly.
8. Feverfew to Get Rid of Migraines
Feverfew is another easy and effective home remedy to get rid of migraines. The herb holds a compound called parthenolide that soothes cramps in smooth muscle tissue and stops inflammation. It also equalizes prostaglandins that promote pain signals, thereby reducing pain.
You will Need:
- Peppermint- one tablespoon
- Feverfew leaves- one tablespoon
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Put one teaspoon each of dried peppermint and Feverfew leaves in hot water for 30 minutes. Strain and drink this tea a few times a day to get rid of migraines.
9. Massage to Get Rid of Migraines
Massaging the head helps relieve migraine headaches. Because messaging blocks pain signals sent to the brain. It also increases the serotonin activity and encourages the certain serotonin receptors, as a result, reducing the symptoms as well as the range of migraines.
- Gently massage head with first two fingers in a circular motion. While massaging, make sure that press the correct pressure points to relieve pain.
10. Apply Peppermint oil to Get Rid of Migraines
Peppermint oil has an amazing soothing effect to cure a headache by easing the discomfort and clearing your mind. This wonderful oil can be applied to various parts and it works quickly to relieve pain. On sensitive skin, this oil may cause some irritation, try mixing it with a bit of olive oil or water.
You will Need:
- Peppermint oil
- Massage the peppermint oil onto your forehead, the back of your jaw, and temples.
- Peppermint oil will give a cooling sensation after applying it.
- Breathe deeply and relax.