In terms of the Human Respiratory System, mucus aids in the protection of the lungs by restricting the foreign particles to intrude and cause infection or any disturbance that leads to a medical situation. In particular, the nose, which is the most exposed part of your body that deals with foreign particles, during the normal breathing process. The inner lining of the nasal path is protected with mucus that traps the unwanted foreign particles that intrude the nasal path. It can also lead to infection or serious injuries. Excessive production of mucus is a sign of infection or bacteria builds up. So, it is needed to get rid of mucus build up in the respiratory system as soon as possible to avoid serious medical conditions.
The foreign particles like dust, pollutants, allergens, bacteria and infectious agents are easily caught in the mucus lining of the nasal path and prevent from entering the respiratory system. This event along with the continuous movement of the respiratory mucus layer towards the oropharynx prevents these objects from entering the lungs during the breathings process. This is the reason, coughing often occurs in those individuals who are a chain smoker. Mucus production is the body’s natural reaction to fight against these foreign particles.
Mucus also helps to moisturize the inhaled air and prevents the nasal path from drying. The mucus is continuously produced by the body and is sometimes also swallowed subconsciously even when it is dry.
Increased or excessive build up of mucus in the respiratory tract is a symptom of many infectious diseases or common illnesses like common cold and influenza. Hypersecretion of mucus can also result in many inflammatory respiratory diseases. This includes respiratory allergies, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. Increased production of mucus in nose and throat can impede comfortable breathing and it is important to clear it off by either blowing the nose or expectorating phlegm from the throat.
Diseases Caused Due to Excessive Mucus Buildup
During infection, mucus can change its color to green or yellow. This can be due to the trapped bacteria or the body’s reaction to viral infection. This is secreted by the white blood cells as a cytotoxic defense while suffering from a respiratory burst.
In the case of flu or cold, the mucus secreted appears thin, clear and is accumulated in the nose or at the back of the throat. As the body reacts to the infection the mucus also thickens and the color changes from clear to yellow or maybe green.
Cystic fibrosis is a medical condition where excess mucus is built up in the lungs with viscous (thick) mucus that is difficult to expel. It affects the whole of the body.
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mucus
1.) Ginger to Get Rid of Mucus
Ginger and many health benefits that make it an effective natural remedy for many diseases. The compounds present in it helps to reduce the symptoms of a cough and soothes the respiratory system. On the other hand, honey has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to cure the infection and kill the bacteria.
- Grate 100 grams of ginger root and mix 2 tablespoons of honey to it.
- Consume 2 tablespoons of this mixture twice daily.
- This will help to get rid of mucus and ease the pain.
- Alternatively, you can also mix 1-2 tablespoons of honey to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink this water several times a day regularly.
- This will help you get rid of mucus and make you feel better.
2.) White Pepper to Get Rid of Mucus
Pepper helps to dry out the mucus and keep it at bay, helping to get rid of mucus easily.
- Take half a teaspoon of white pepper powder and add a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Heat the mixture until lukewarm.
- Have this mixture twice or thrice daily and it will give you instant relief.
- Regularly take this mixture for at least a week to get rid of mucus fast.
- Alternatively, you can also cut a slice of fresh lemon.
- Sprinkle a dash of white pepper powder and salt to the slice of lemon.
- Suck on it to get instant relief and dry out the mucus.
3.) Chickpeas Remedy for Mucus
The Chickpeas is an effective remedy for treating flu, cold and excessive mucus build up. It helps to get rid of mucus easily and keep it at bay.
- Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to a pan and let it sizzle.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chickpeas flour to the pan and cook until it turns light brown.
- Now, add 30 ounces of water to the floor and a pinch of almond powdered or crushed almond.
- Also, add a teaspoon of honey and stir it well.
- Remove from the heat once it is properly mixed.
- Consume this medicine twice or thrice daily for 1 week to get rid of mucus.
- It also helps to soothe the irritation caused due to mucus secretion.
3.) Lemon and Onion Remedy
Lemon has Vitamin C that is helpful to get rid of mucus and keep it at bay by drying it out as it has antiseptic properties. On the other hand, onion has an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory remedy that helps to treat the infection and controls excessive mucus build up. Shallots prove more effective than onions as they have more sulfur content.
- You can drink plain lemon tea thrice daily to get rid of mucus.
- It will also soothe your throat.
- Grind onion to extract the juice.
- Mix it with a cup of boiling water and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the gas and add a teaspoon of honey and squeeze a whole lemon it after it cools down to room temperature.
- Drink this mixture thrice daily to get rid of mucus.
- Repeat the remedy until the mucus is vanished.
- Alternatively, you can also chop an onion and add two heaped spoons of sugar to it.
- Keep it for half an hour, covering with a lid.
- The mixture will transform into fluid consistency.
- Consume a large spoon of this mixture after every few hours to keep the mucus at bay.
4.) Grapes to Get Rid of Mucus
Grapes are known to be expectorant in nature, i.e. they help to unclog the mucus and soothe the respiratory system from irritation.
- Take two tablespoons of grape juice and two tablespoons of honey as well.
- Mix them together and have this concoction thrice daily.
- This will help to get rid of mucus and keep it at bay.
- Repeat the remedy regularly for a week to get effective results.
5.) Carrots to Soothe the Throat
Carrots have amazing health benefits and are a rich source of Vitamin C. It also helps to boost the immune system because of the anti-oxidant properties present in it. It is also loaded with other vitamins and minerals that help to get rid of mucus by reducing its symptoms.
- Extract the juice of 2-3 carrots or as required to fill a whole glass.
- Mix a little water and 2-3 teaspoons of honey with the juice.
- Drink the juice twice or thrice a day regularly for a week to get rid of mucus and keep it at bay.
6.) Garlic and Lemon to Get Rid of Mucus
Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties that help to fight infection and the citric acid present in lemon helps to clear the mucus because of its antiseptic properties. These health benefits provide instant relief from excess mucus accumulation.
- Boil a cup of water and add the juice of 3 lemons to it.
- Now, add crushed or grated garlic cloves to the mixture.
- Mix half a teaspoon of black pepper powder and a pinch of salt to this mixture and stir well.
- Drink this twice or thrice daily, for a week to get rid of mucus easily.
7.) Chicken Soup to Soothe the Throat
Chicken soup is a helpful remedy while suffering from cold and flu infections. It helps to clear out the mucus and moisturize the air path. This has the capability of acting as mucus thinner.
- Drink at least 2-3 bowls of chicken soup per day regularly until the mucus is cleared.
- You can also add crushed ginger or ginger juice to the soup.
- Crushed or dried garlic flakes can also be added to the soup.
- It acts as a great appetizer.
- This will also enhance its health benefits and result in a speedy recovery.
8.) Turmeric Does The Trick
The anti-bacterial, antiseptic and antibiotic properties of turmeric make it an effective natural remedy for various diseases and infections. It also helps to get rid of mucus and keep it at bay. Due the presence of Curcumin, turmeric acts as an antioxidant agent used to treat and cure various internal and external problems of the body.
- Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and black pepper powder in a glass of lukewarm milk.
- Also, add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink this milk twice daily to get rid of mucus.
- Alternatively, you can also mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix both the ingredients well and consume twice daily.
- This will help to get rid of mucus easily.