The feeling of uneasiness and discomfort caused in the upper stomach followed by an involuntary urge to puke is known as nausea. It is not necessary that the pukish feeling accompanies the uneasiness every time. When prolonged, nausea can also turn into a debilitating symptom. This article is about various remedies to get rid of nausea easily and effectively.
Causes of Nausea
Nausea is known as a non-specific symptom. It can affect both adults and children, although nausea is probably more common during early pregnancy. Patients undergoing chemotherapy or diagnosed with cancer are also affected with nausea. This means that it has many possible causes and some of them include:
- Motion sickness.
- Food poisoning.
- Side effects of a few medications can also result in nausea.
- Anxiety, disgust, and depression can also result in nausea.
Potentially Serious Nausea
While some of the cause of nausea are not serious and are easy to deal with. But, there are a few serious medical conditions that can result in nausea. This include:
- Intracranial Pressure.
- Hemorrhagic stroke.
- Head injury.
- Brain tumor.
- Heart Attacks.
- Small bowel obstruction.
Nausea in Children
If the child is under 6 years of age and is suffering from the following along with nausea:
- Vomiting and diarrhea.
- Projectile vomiting.
- High fever.
If the child id over 6 years of age and is suffering from the following along with nausea:
- Vomiting for more than 24 hours.
- Not urinated for more than six hours.
- Confusion or lethargic.
- High fever.
It is a serious condition for both the cases and you need a doctor immediately without any further delay.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Nausea
1.) Cranberry Juice for Nausea
Cranberry juice has essential nutrients that help to get rid of nausea by calming your stomach. It also helps to dehydrate your body and ease the digestive tract. Always prefer cranberry juice when you feel nauseous.
- Drink a glass of fresh Cranberry juice a day when you feel nauseous or pukish.
- You can also continue having the juice until the nausea is completely cured.
NOTE- If the feeling continues for more than a day or two, please seek medical help.
2.) Non-Carbohydrate Syrup for Nausea
The compounds of nausea help to heal upset stomach and get rid of nausea quickly.
- Mix half a cup of sugar in a 1/4th cup of water.
- Heat the solution over medium flame.
- Now, add a pinch of salt and stir until completely dissolved.
- Let it cool at room temperature.
- Consume 1-2 teaspoons of this concoction to get rid of nausea.
3.) Vegetable Broth to Treat Nausea
The vitamins and minerals present in vegetables help the body to face the symptoms of nausea and treat the infection quickly.
- Boil a variety of vegetables in water.
- (Onion, garlic, carrots, ginger, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, corn etc.)
- Simmer for a few minutes on low heat and cover with a lid.
- Continue for half an hour and then strain out the veggies.
- Add the seasoning of your choice and drink the soup.
- Have this twice a day to get rid of nausea and ease the symptoms.
4.) Chicken Broth to Ease Nausea
Chicken soup is a touted remedy to ease cold and cough. But, in the case of nausea it becomes too heavy to digest so, broth does the work. Due to being low-fat it is also easily digested. Broth prepared from Bouillon Cubes is an easy recipe and used as an alternative for soups.
- Take a soup kettle or a vok.
- Add 2 and a half pounds of chicken pieces (Bony), 2 chopped celery with the leaves, 2 chunky chopped carrots, 2 onions cut into four parts, 2 bay leaves, half a teaspoon of dried rosemary, half a teaspoon of dried thyme, and 10 whole peppercorns.
- Now, add 2 quarts of cold water and place it on the stove.
- Let the mixture boil over low flame and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the broth for other uses.
- Now, strain the broth and discard the veggies.
- Refrigerate the broth overnight.
- Skim the fat from the surface if any.
- Have 1-2 bowls of the prepared broth when your feel nauseous or pukish.
- This will help to get rid of nausea easily.
5.) Vinegar to Ease Nausea
Vinegar prevents the easiness in your stomach and treats nausea by controlling the symptoms. It also freshens ups your body instantly.
- Mix a teaspoon of vinegar to half a cup of lukewarm water.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash.
- Alternatively, you can also mix a 1/4th cup of vinegar in 4 ounces of lukewarm water.
- Gargle with the solution to get rid of nausea.
6.) Fennel Seeds to Get Rid of Nausea
Fennel seeds have certain anesthetic substances that help to get rid of nausea and ease its symptoms.
- Mix a tablespoon of crushed fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water.
- Let the solution steep for about 10-15 minutes.
- Also, add a tablespoon of honey to enhance the taste.
- Drink this tea to ease the symptoms of nausea quickly.
7.) Mint to Treat the Feeling of Nausea
The aromatic freshness of mint itself is a relief from any types of uneasiness in the body.
- Add a tablespoon of fresh mint leaves to a pint of hot water.
- Steep for about half an hour then strain.
- Sip on the mixture slowly.
- This will help to get rid of nausea.
- You can also eat the boiled leave to enhance the effect.
8.) Ginger Drink for Nausea
Ginger is an effective natural ingredient that helps to get rid of nausea. This is because ginger promotes the secretion of various digestive enzymes that neutralizes the excessive acid build up in your stomach. The phenol present in ginger also soothe stomach muscles and help to digest the food quickly, flushing out unwanted toxins from your body.
Ginger Tea Recipe
- One peeled ginger root.
- Honey for sweetening.
- 2-3 cups of water.
- Wax paper
- Wash the ginger root and cut into 2-inch chunks.
- Cover them with wax paper and crush the pieces.
- Now, add it to the boiling water.
- Steep it for 3-4 minutes and then strain.
- Finally, add honey and sip on the tea.
- This will help to ease nausea.
9.) Ginger Ale Recipe
- 2 cups of chopped ginger.
- 3-4 lemon peel strips.
- Chilled club soda, 3 quarts.
- A few ice cubes.
- Half a cup of sugar.
- Add the ginger, lemon peel and water to a saucepan.
- Boil the mixture and steep for 10 minutes.
- Also, add sugar while stirring the mixture.
- Reduce the mixture to about 3 cups.
- Strain and refrigerate the syrup.
- You can also store the syrup for a week.
- Whenever you feel nauseous, just add 1/4th cup of syrup to a glass.
- Pour a cup of club soda and top it with some ice cubes.
- Add flavorings as per taste.
10.) Lemon Drink for Nausea
The citrus smell of lemon helps to get rid of the murky feeling of nausea. It also soothes the irritation caused in your stomach.
- A fresh lemon.
- Few mint leaves.
- Ice cubes.
- Sugar as preferred.
- Chilled Soda or a glass of water as preferred.
- Slice the lemon and squeeze its juice into a glass.
- Add mint leaves and sugar.
- Crush the ingredients using a wooden spatula.
- Now, pour water or soda in the glass as preferred.
- Sip on the drink when you feel nauseous.
Preventive Tips for Nausea:
- Consume light, plain foods.
- Avoid heavy and spicy foods, carbs, greasy, strong flavors and sweets.
- Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Drink cold fluids like juice or probiotic.
- Avoid physical activities and rest.
- Drink ginger tea.
- Eat smaller portions of food more often.