Getting cold and phlegm is almost common. Phlegm is like a mucus which is kind of a liquid produced by the mucous membrane of a mammal. When you get dark and thick phlegm that is a sign that you are suffering from a bacterial infection. Here are the tips to get rid of phlegm when you are suffering from bacterial infections, sinus or respiratory tract infections.
Tips to Get Rid of Phlegm
1.) Lemon and Honey to Cure Phlegm
Lemon and honey soothes your throat and reduces phlegm production. So make a mixture of lemon and honey to get rid of phlegm.
- Add two teaspoons of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey to a glass of hot water.
- Cut a lemon in slices, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on it.
- Suck on the lemon slice. Drink this twice or thrice a day.
2.) Steam to Treat Phlegm
Steam inhalation is one of the best ways to get rid of phlegm. Taking a steam through the nasal passage helps to maintain phlegm in the liquid state so that is become easier to eliminate from your system. You can also take the steam shower twice a day to get rid of phlegm fast.
Or take hot water into a large bowl. Place a towel over your head and take the steam for 5 to 10 minutes. Doing so will help loosen the mucus in your lungs. You can try this simple and easy remedy several times a day to get rid of phlegm.
3.) Gargle with Salt Water to Treat Phlegm
Gargle with warm salt water is another effective way to get rid phlegm. Where warm water soothes an irritated throat and salt helps to kill bacteria that can cause infection and hence reduces production of phlegm.
- Mix 1/4th teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with this salt water.
- Do this remedy several times a day.
4.) Water to Get Rid of Phlegm
To get rid of phlegm, keep yourself hydrated. If your body produce a lot of phlegm, that means your body id unable to fight against the sickness. So drink lots of water so it gives you a feeling of comfort. You can add herbal teas and lemon to the water to get more relief. As they can help loosen the phlegm in the chest and nasal passages.
5.) Mullein to Cure Phlegm
Drinking mullein tea eases as well as relaxes the bronchial tubes and lungs, which further eases your cough.
- Make a cup of tea by mullein with by adding few drops of tincture in a glass of boiling water.
- Take it at least 3 times a day to get rid of phlegm.
6.) Ginger to Get Rid of Phlegm
Ginger is being used for ages to fight against the throat and respiratory infections. Being a natural decongestant, ginger soothes the phlegm. Ginger also has expectorant, antiviral and antibacterial properties which help to reduce congestion in the chest and help you to breath easily. Consuming ginger is the best way to get rid of phlegm.
- Add one tablespoon of fresh ginger slices to one cup of boiled water.
- Steep the solution for a few minutes
- Put two teaspoons of honey.
- Drink this ginger tea several times throughout the day to get rid of phlegm.
- Or, you can chew raw ginger slices many times a day.
7.) Garlic to Cure Phlegm
Due to some chemical properties, garlic is very helpful to kill bacteria and viral infections. It eliminates the bacterial infection by destroying them and cures the infections like common cold, sore throat and phlegm etc. the compound sulfur in garlic, break down the thick mucus in the chest. The properties of expectorant present in garlic help to eliminate the excess phlegm. If you are suffering from phlegm then consume 3-4 garlic cloves and get rid of phlegm.
- Eat 2-3 raw cloves of garlic for the instant relief for phlegm in the chest and throat.
- Or, if you don’t like the pungent smell of garlic then you can add garlic to your meal.
8.) Milk and Turmeric to Treat Phlegm
Drinking turmeric and milk is very good to get rid of phlegm. Turmeric is filled with the antiseptic properties. While drinking milk and turmeric together increases improve the immune tract of the body and make it able to fight against the germs and infections. This is an effective remedy to get rid of phlegm.
- Add a spoon full of turmeric in a glass of hot milk.
- Mix it well and drink before sleeping.
9.) Honey and Pepper to Cure Phlegm
Pepper is very effective to cure many throat infections. Whereas honey eases the mucus membranes. When we consume them together, they work like a miracle to cure phlegm and other infections.
- Take a teaspoon of honey and add a pinch of pepper on it.
- You can take white of black pepper.
- Consume this mixture two to three times a day to get rid of phlegm fast.
10.) Spicy Food to Treat Phlegm
Spicy food also helps to get rid of phlegm. It makes the mucus lose and help to get the flame out from the body.
- Consume foods which are spicy and contains chilly, chili peppers, pepper, wasabi ginger etc. to get rid of phlegm.
11.) Avoid Smoking to Treat Phlegm
Avoiding smoking is very important to get rid of phlegm and other respiratory infections. When you inhale anything, it affects your respiratory system. The smoke of cigar and cigarettes can worsen the situations. The compounds present in cigarette interfere with the natural healing process of our body. So don’t smoke if you want to live a healthy life.
12.) Chicken Soup to Cure Phlegm
Hot chicken soup is an old age remedy to cure a common cold and sore throat. Consuming chicken soup helps to moisturize the airways and loosen the mucus. So take chicken soup when you are not feeling well and soothe your sore throat.
- Make a chicken soup.
- Drink this soup at least two to three times a day to get rid of phlegm in your throat.
13.) Take Rest to Cure Phlegm
Enough rest is very important in order to get rid of phlegm faster and very effectively. Rest and sleep helps to cure of infection. So if you want to recover faster then take enough rest and sleep.
14.) Cayenne Cure Phlegm
Cayenne pepper is also very effective to get rid of phlegm. It helps to release the mucus in the nasal passages. The stimulating nature of cayenne pepper helps to reduce the inflammation in the chest and eases the throat pain.
- Mix a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger.
- Now add two tablespoons of water, a spoon full of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the mixture well.
- Drink this solution 3-4 times a day to get rid of phlegm.
15.) Onion to Cure Phlegm
Onion is an excellent anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and expectorant in nature, which help to get rid of phlegm and soothes the throat. It also improves the immune system and speeds up the healing process. Consuming onion is very effective to stay fit. Take onion and sugar together to raise the fluidity of the phlegm so it becomes easier to expel phlegm out of the body.
- Take a small onion and chop in fine size.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar and keep aside for half an hour.
- The mixture will give you a liquid texture.
- Take one spoon of this mixture in every two or three hours or when required.
- You can store the rest mixture for next two-three days.