Scabies is an extremely itchy, highly contagious skin disorder caused by an infestation by the itch mite Sarcoptes scabies. Mites are small parasites in contrast to insects, which have six legs. They are tiny, just 1/3 millimeter long, and set into the skin to produce extreme itching, it goes worse at night. Skin does not take kindly to the mite attack. While the mites set and lay eggs inside the skin the overrun by these small insects which lead to itching and rashes. These mites can be seen with a magnifying glass or microscope. The scabies mites are unable to fly or jump, they just crawl. Scabies is not an infection but an infestation. The tiny mites called Sarcoptes scabies set up on the outer layers of human skin. In this article, we will give you tips to get rid of scabies.
Symptoms of Scabies:
When a person is suffering from scabies for the first time it can take 4 to 6 weeks for the skin to react. The common symptoms are:
- Intense itching.
- A pimple-like rash.
- Blisters or Scales.
- Sores caused by scratching.
Where Do Scabies Mites Live?
- Between the fingers.
- The folds of the wrist, elbow, or knee.
- Around the waistline and navel.
- On the genitals or breasts.
- The head, palms, neck, face, and soles.
How Does Scabies Spread?
Scabies particularly spreads through skin-to-skin contact will give the mites time to travel from one person to another. Shared personal items like towels or beddings may occasionally be the reason. Scabies can be spread easily to family members or sexual partners. It can spread through a quick handshake or hug. Scabies mite can’t jump or fly and it moves very very slowly.
Who Gets Scabies?
Anyone can get scabies, but the following are at highest risk:
- Sexually active adults.
- People in institutional care.
- People living in crowded conditions.
- Prison inmates.
- People in child care facilities.
The intense itch of scabies makes it difficult to stop scratching. Usually, scratching can create open sores that are liable to infection. The skin infections such as impetigo are one of the common complication of scabies. The symptoms can include honey-colored, blisters. This type of infection is often treated with antibiotics. But in this article, we will share some home remedies to get rid of scabies.
Tips to Get Rid of Scabies
1. Margosa to Get Rid of Scabies
Due to its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties margosa helps to cure scabies by preventing scabies mites to reproduce and also preventing the bacteria and fungi in the affected area of the skin that can further worsen the condition.
- Take a few leaves of margosa and soak in warm bath water.
- Let it be there for about fifteen minutes.
- Take bath with this water and you should use margosa based soap to wash thoroughly.
- After taking bath, use margosa cream/oil or lotion on the affected area.
2. Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Scabies
Tea tree oil contains a terpinen-4-ol compound which helps kill the germs or bacteria that causes scabies. Filled with anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial, antiparasitic, disinfectant, antifungal and wound-healing properties, tea tree oil helps to treat scabies. Tea tree oil will help decrease swelling and pain while speeding up the healing process.
- Mix one tablespoon of tea tree oil and olive oil.
- Apply this solution with the help of cotton ball on the affected area.
- You can add 10 to 12 drops of pure tea tree oil to a bathtub of lukewarm water.
- Take bath in this water twice daily for a few weeks.
3. Anise Seed Oil to Cure Scabies
Due to insecticidal properties anise essential oil is one of the effective home remedies for treating scabies. It also has antibacterial properties and therefore can prevent scabies.
- You can make a natural scabies cream with anise.
- Mix 4 drops of anise seed oil and 3 drops of ylang-ylang oil in 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Apply this to the infected scabies area to get rid of the mites.
4. Clove Oil to Get Rid of Scabies
Clove oil is one of the richest sources of antioxidants. It is an anesthetic and antiseptic, making it particularly suitable for a toothache and infections.
- Add 7 drops of clove oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix it well, and gently apply on the affected area to get rid of scabies.
- Repeat twice a day.
5. Rosemary Oil to Get Rid of Scabies
Due to its antimicrobial properties, rosemary oil can help to treat scabies. Though this won’t kill off the scabies mite, it helps to heal damaged skin and prevent infection from developing. Rosemary oil is also one of the best essential oils to relieve pain and inflammations.
- Add 7 drops of rosemary oil to one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Apply to the affected area. Continue to do this until the scabies rash has gone completely.
6. Aloe Vera to Get Rid Of Scabies
Due to antimicrobial properties and many natural medicinal properties aloe vera is also effective to cure scabies. It can speed up the healing process of scabies, insect bites, and many other skin problems.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this two or three times daily for a few weeks for best results.
7. Vinegar to Get Rid Of Scabies
Due to the acidic nature, white vinegar changes the pH level of the skin. It is found that any change in the pH level causes mites to die and get rid of scabies.
- Mix equal amounts of white vinegar and water thoroughly in a bowl.
- Apply the solution on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for a few minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat two to three times a day for 10 to 15 days to fight against the infection completely.
8. Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Scabies
Cayenne contains capsaicin, a chemical property which reduces pain when applied to the skin. It will kill the mites and give you relief from the problem of scabies.
- Mix one cup cayenne pepper in hot bath water.
- Soak it until the water gets cold.
- Wash off the cayenne pepper with cool water.
- Repeat once daily until the scabies is cured.
9. Turmeric to Cure Scabies
Turmeric with strong anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties can kill on the scabies parasite and also protects the area against the other infections.
- Add a few drops of neem oil in 1 tablespoon of turmeric.
- Mix it to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on scabies affected area and let it dry about an hour.
- Take a moist piece of cloth and remove the dried turmeric paste and take a shower.
- Take 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and a tablespoon of neem powder.
- Add a few drops of water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area and rinse it off.
10. Onion to Get Rid of Scabies
Onion is considered as the effective remedy to cure scabies because it is rich in organosulfur compounds, which directly eliminates the scabies parasite. It also contains quercetin, which is a known analgesic that relieves the symptoms of an itch.
- Take an onion and put it in the mixer to make a paste.
- Take the paste in a muslin cloth and squeeze all the juice.
- Apply it on the affected area.