Imagine you are wearing a beautiful outfit, everyone is just admiring you, and suddenly you remove your footwear and the facial expressions of everyone just change because of the smell that is coming from your feet. That admiring expression changed into a discomforting one. The embarrassment has replaced your confidence. Don’t worry, this is just a dream, but it can for sure become a reality if you do not take proper care of your feet. In this article, you will come across some natural remedies to get rid of smelly feet.
Bacteria and sweat are the two main reasons behind smelly feet. When your feet sweats too much and it is packed in a moist environment, bacteria feed on it and gives an unappealing smell. The bacteria that thrive on your feet and shoes, eats the sweat and produces an acid due to which your feet stinks.
Causes of Smelly Feet:
- People suffering from diabetes and heart disease are more prone to foot infections and smelly feet.
- Elderly people can have smelly feet because of inefficient blood circulation.
- Poorly controlled fungal infections can be a reason behind smelly feet.
- If you do not have a proper hygiene, then your feet can become stinky and smelly.
- Too much stress can also cause smelly feet.
- Hyperhidrosis is a condition in which you sweat more and we all know sweating is the main reason behind smelly feet.
- Wearing the same shoes daily without keeping them in ventilated area can make your feet smell.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Smelly Feet:
1.) Ginger Rub to Get Rid of Smelly Feet:
This is a good choice to get rid of smelly feet as it removes the toxins from the body through sweating. It stimulates blood circulation and stops the growth of bacteria on the feet. This is one of the amazing remedies to get rid of smelly feet.
Method to Use Ginger for Smelly Feet:
- Crush a medium sized ginger.
- Add this ginger in boiling water.
- Allow it to stay in hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Use a coffee filter to strain this solution.
- Soak your feet in this water for about 15 minutes.
- Rub your feet while it is soaked.
- Repeat the process daily for 2 weeks to get rid of stinky feet.
2.) Combo of Sage and Rosemary for Smelly Feet:
Sage is known for its antifungal and anti-viral properties. Rosemary has an astringent and anti-fungal nature. Thus the combination of both these herbs controls the production of sweat from the sweat glands. This combination is very effective to get rid of smelly feet.
Method to Use Sage and Rosemary for Smelly Feet:
- Add boiling water in a foot basin.
- Add one teaspoon of dried sage and dried rosemary in a foot basin.
- Let these herbs steep in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Submerge your feet in the basin for about 30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day to cure smelly feet.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Smelly Feet:
Apple cider vinegar creates an acidic environment on the feet. This environment kills the bacteria that cause foot odor. Remember one thing if you have wounds or scratches on your feet do not use this method. Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and when it will come in contact with the wound it will cause pain and irritation.
Method to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Smelly Feet:
- In 8 cups of water, add a half cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Submerge your feet completely in this water.
- Allow your feet to stay in this water for about 20 minutes.
- To get rid of vinegar smell, wash your feet with soap.
4.) Black Tea to Get Rid of Smelly Feet:
Black tea contains tannic acid, which kills the bacteria that are responsible for causing smelly feet. Sweating is one of the main reasons for the stinky feet. Black tea reduces the sweating by minimizing the size of the pores. This is an excellent remedy to get rid of smelly feet. It is a good choice to get rid of smell and sweating.
Method to Use Black Tea for Smelly Feet:
- Soak 2 tea bags of black tea in 3 cups of hot water.
- Mix a half cup of tap water in this water to bring down its temperature.
- Immerse your feet completely in this water.
- Let it be like that for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process daily for one week for encouraging results.
5.) Epsom Salt for Smelly Feet:
It only helps to get rid of stinky feet but it can also be a relaxing treat for your feet. These small crystals can help you to get rid of smelly feet easily. It will reduce your stress and will make you feel relaxed. Try this amazing remedy to get rid of stinky feet.
Method to Use Epsom Salt for Smelly Feet:
- Take a bucket and fill it half with water.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt.
- Drench your feet completely in this solution.
- Let the feet stay in the water for about 20 minutes.
- Do not wash the feet with normal water.
- The best time to do it is before sleeping.
6.) Combo of Baking Soda and Lemon to Cure Smelly Feet:
Baking soda not only helps you to get rid of stinky feet but also softens your skin. It kills the bacteria that are responsible for that smelly feet. Lemon has a nice smell and it controls the sweating. If you control sweating, foot odor will be controlled automatically. Try this amazing remedy to get rid of stinky feet.
Method to Use Baking Soda and Lemon for Smelly Feet:
- In 8 cups of warm water, add ¼ cup of baking soda.
- Extract the juice of one lemon in this solution.
- Soak your feet completely in this solution.
- Keep your feet in this water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use a towel to dry the feet completely.
- Do this daily to get rid of stinky feet.
7.) Better Hygiene to Get Rid of Smelly Feet:
Have you ever thought the reason behind the smelly feet? The reason behind this is poor hygiene. Our feet generally smell when there is a growth of bacteria on toenails or around them or in between the toes. So if you want to avoid the stinky feet, then it is time to pay attention to your feet. Here are some simple steps to keep your feet fresh and clean.
- Wash your feet atleast 2 times a day with cold water and soap.
- Keep your feet warm and dry. Buy good quality shoes.
- Use a grater to remove the dead skin cells from the feet. Your feet smells due to the dead skin cells as a lot of bacteria and germs thrive on it.
- Use antiperspirant to reduce sweating. It will also deodorize your feet.
- Use an antiviral soap to kill the bacteria that are responsible for foot odor.
8.) Hibiscrub Soap to Cure Smelly Feet:
If you want to get rid of smelly and stinky feet quickly, then a hibiscus soap is the best solution for you. The anti-viral properties of hibiscus soap cure the smelly feet by killing the germs. You can buy an hibiscrub soap from your nearby chemist. You just need to apply the hibiscrub soap on your feet. Leave it for a few minutes before washing. Wash your feet with hibiscrub soap at least two times a day.
Tips to Prevent Smelly Feet:
- Wash and change your socks daily.
- Have an extra pair of shoes. Don’t wear a same pair of shoes for two days.
- Avoid wearing nylon socks. You can go for cotton socks.
- Keep your toenails short and use a foot file to remove the hard skin.
- You can put medicated insoles in your shoes.
- Wear leather shoes so that your feet can breathe easily.
- Try to wear open-toed sandals in summers.
- Wear sports socks that have ventilation panels.
- Avoid wearing socks at home. Walk bare feet and allow your feet to breathe.
- After removing your shoes keep them in a ventilated area.