In this article, we will discuss various remedies to get rid of strep throat. Strep throat is an infection caused by the Streptococcus bacteria. Resulting in inflammation and swelling of the mucous membrane that is present in the inner linings at the back of the throat and the tonsils. It is known as the most common cause of a sore throat in children and teens. Also, it is contagious in nature, so one should take proper care and do not maintain any direct contact with the person infected with strep throat.
Causes of Strep Throat
As we read earlier that Group A streptococcus (GAS) bacteria specifically Streptococcus Pyogenes causes infection. The streptococcal infection invades the pharyngeal tissue and causes inflammation of the throat and tonsils.
This bacteria is mostly found in the throat or on the skin and is responsible for various other illnesses such as Impetigo i.e. a skin infection. There are cases where the responsible bacteria are present and have infected the inner lining of the throat, but no signs and symptoms of it are physically seen. In such case the infection becomes Asymptomatic.
In cases of streptococcal infection, it is common in children and teens with a percentage of 15%-40%. The reason behind this is, children go to school and playgrounds, so they cannot maintain distance with other children.
It mostly occurs between the late falls and early springs and is more widespread among school going children those who are present in groups in an enclosed space.
Sometimes viral may also lead to a sore throat so not all the cases of a sore throat are streptococcal infections and can cure on their own. They do not require serious medical help but it is also very much important to diagnose a streptococcal infection at an early stage to avoid serious complications.
Symptoms of Strep Throat
Some common signs and symptoms of strep throat include:
- Sore throat.
- White patches on the tonsils.
- Swollen Tonsils.
- Swollen lymph nodes on the side of the upper neck.
- Noisy breathing.
- Bleeding in the throat.
- Difficulty to swallow.
- Severe throat pain.
Some other symptoms of strep throat as to what various patients have complained:
- Nausea and Vomiting.
- Abdominal Pain.
- Loss of appetite.
- Skin rashes.
- Red spots on the roof of the mouth.
Home Remedies To Get Rid of Strep Throat
1.) The ACV Remedy
Apple Cider Vinegar is the most effective method known till date that helps to get rid of strep throat and, also helps the body to recover from countless conditions.
- Simply dilute ACV in warm water in a ratio 1:3 and use it to gargle. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice daily.
- The usage may vary from person to person, but 1-3 teaspoons would be enough in 8 oz of water.
- ACV tastes a bit pungent and your taste buds may not love it.
- But if you can tolerate it, then fill a glass of lukewarm water and add 2-3 teaspoons of ACV.
- You can also ass some sugar for taste.
NOTE- Use only organic ACV because it has the “mother” which is the main key
2.) Vitamin C to Get Rid of Strep Throat
There are myths about Vitamin C that it does not cure sore or strep throat instead, it will worsen the condition. Well, all this is untrue because as we all know vitamin c is an effective remedy to treat scurvy and now it has been proven effective in treating Strep Throat. Adding to its benefits Vitamin C also helps to promote overall health and combats stress.
- Intake of a quality 1000MG rich Vitamin C tablet thrice a day can give effective results.
- It can also be combined with solutions that treat strep throat for better results.
- You can also have fresh fruits that are rich in Vitamin C
- Orange, papaya, strawberry, grapes, raspberry, pineapples.
- Potatoes are also a rich source of Vitamin C.
3.) Cayenne Pepper Revered for Strep Throat
Next to ACV, Cayenne is known as the best remedy that cures strep throat. When used with honey and lemon, it adds to the amazing benefits of the pepper. Also honey is an old age remedy to cure a sore throat.
- Mix cayenne pepper in a small amount of water and prepare a solution. Now dab the solution on the back of your throat using your finger.
- You can also make a thick paste of cayenne pepper and water. Rub it on the back of your throat.
- Mix half teaspoon of cayenne pepper with honey and a few drops of lemon. Rub the mixture on the back of your throat.
4.) Garlic Helps to Get Rid of Strep Throat
Garlic has an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent and is a rich source of highly concentrated sulfur content. That relieves inflammation and filters the blood to remove the infection. It is also a good source of Vitamin B6 and C, selenium, manganese that supports quick recovery and maintains the overall health.
- You can chew raw garlic cloves if you really like the taste. You can also mix it with your spices to flavor the food and cure the infection at the same time.
- Dried garlic flakes are also used to season soups, salads, bread, and pizzas.
5.) Peppermint Helps Get Rid of Strep
Peppermint as a herb and the essential oil, both a remedy that cures a sore throat, common cold, cough, sinus, mouth ulcers, infections in respiratory tract etc. It contains menthol that works as a cooling agent for the inflammation and, also numbs the area for a short period to ease the pain.
- Use the essential oil to apply directly to the back of your throat.
- It may cause a tingling effect, so it’s better to mix it with some base oil like olive oil that will also help in moisturizing the dried skin that causes uneasiness.
6.) Lemon Cleanses Toxins
Lemon extracts or essential oil is a natural remedy that is widely being used to get rid of strep throat. It also initiates in lymph drainage and rejuvenates the energy. It is also antibacterial and anti-inflammatory in nature that helps to cure strep throat and helps to keep the throat moist.
- Dilute lemon extract in a small part of water and directly apply on the affected area.
- You can also mix the lemon essential oil with the base oil and apply to the back of your throat.
7.) Eucalyptus Oil Ease Pain
Eucalyptus oil is known to do wonders to get rid of strep throat. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe the tingling feeling and inflammation at the affected area. It also eases the pain caused due to infection and dryness.
- Mix Eucalyptus oil with some base oil like olive oil and apply to the back of your throat.
- Rub it with your finger on the affected area and let it work.
8.) Clove has Antibacterial Properties
Clove has antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties that help fight the infection and, also provides relief from pain. Its ability to purify blood helps in increasing the body’s resistance to many diseases and infections.
- Chewing a clove bud can help to ease the pain and cure strep throat.
- Clove Essential oil can also be applied to the affected area to get relief from pain.
9.) Juniper Berry Therapy
Juniper berry has a very sweet, sour and woody taste which is not liked by many of us. It is the best-known remedy to get rid of strep and sore throat and respiratory infections. This is because it has 87 different active constituent compounds that include strong antioxidants, antibacterial, and antifungal.
- Apply the essential oil to the affected area or you can also use it by diluting it with base oil.
- It can either be used orally or through aromatherapy.
10.) Aromatherapy to Get Rid of Strep Throat
- Choose the essential oil that you want to use like Juniper berry oil, lemon extracts, eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil.
- Add a few drops of the chosen oil into the pot of boiling water.
- Now place your head over the pot and cover with a towel, not letting any of the steam escape out.
This will help to unblock the respiratory tract and cure breathing problems and will also reach the throat and soothe pain and inflammation. In this process, the molecules enter the nasal cavities and stimulate the firing of mental response. It also regulates stress and calms down the heart rate and blood pressure.
Note– A runny nose, mouth ulcers, cough, hoarseness, and diarrhea are also some of the symptoms that the patients have reported, but they do not lead to strep throat and are a sign of viral fever, the actual symptoms of strep throat is only diagnosed by a professional doctor.