Termites are the silent killer. Sometimes, can take up to 5 years when you notice the termite damage. But now, you do not have to worry about it, because in this article, we are going to tell you the ways to get rid of termites.
Termites live in cellulose found in plants and wood and they can destroy anything easily. So get them out of your house as soon as possible. But before telling you the remedies to get rid of termites, we will aware you about some basic facts of the termites. Termites are pests but not seasonal pests and have 40 – 50 species. These species can be lumped into 5 groups: –
- Dampwood termites.
- Drywood termites.
- Subterranean termites.
The most common termite is dry wood termite that feeds wooden objects like furniture, wooden frames, cupboard. Though subterranean termites usually appear outside, but they can come into your house.
The common signs that can aware you about the termites are if you find bubbles and cracks in the paint on the wall or if wood sounds hollow. If you see small holes in wood or sagging floor then it is a common sign of the termite damage.
Different Ways to Get Rid of Termites
1. Sunlight to Get Rid of Termites: –
Exposing termites to the sunlight can help you to get rid of them. By exposing termites to the sunlight, the ultraviolet rays proves harsh to them and can kill them. Place your infested furniture in the direct sunlight and let it stay there for 3 – 5 days. Later tap the furniture and if it is still echoing them let it stay for more days otherwise you are done.
2. Orange Oil to Kill Termites: –
Orange oil is a very effective home remedy to kill termites. It contains d-limonene that is an active compound to kill termites. It eliminates the dry wood colonies that have infested the area.
- Swab some orange oil in a cotton and apply to the infested area.
- Keep applying the oil for several days.
- Alternatively, you can also inject the oil to the infested surface by drilling small holes.
3. Lilac Oil to Prevent Termites: –
Lilac oil works safely on termites. It is a nontoxic way to get rid of termites and regulates the growth of the insects. It also prevents them from molting and that leads them to their death. It can only kill termites if they directly come in the contact with oil.
- Dip a cotton ball in the lilac oil and apply on the infested area.
- When termites will ingest the oil, they will eventually die.
- Reapply the oil until you get rid of termites.
4. Sodium Borate to Kill Termites: –
Sodium Borate is also known as borax. It can kill subterranean termites easily. It basically dehydrates them and shut down the nervous system of the termites.
- Apply a coat of sodium borate on the infested furniture and the other areas.
- Repeat it every day for a week.
- You can spray sodium borate on the furniture time to time to avoid infestation. For this, take 8 cups of hot water and dissolve 1 teaspoon of sodium borate powder to it.
- Shake well and spray on wooden surfaces.
5. Wet Cardboard to Prevent Termites: –
It is proven that the smell of wet cardboard irritates these pests. It is also a nontoxic way to get rid of termites. Termites feed cellulose and cardboard contain it.
- Wet down some cardboard boxes and place them where you see termites frequently.
- When you see termites are colonizing and feeding the cardboard box take it out of the house and burn it immediately.
6. Nematodes to Get Rid of Termites: –
Nematodes can kill termites within next 48 hour after the consumption. You can buy this from any local garden shop. It is one of the best methods to get rid of termites. It has worm species in it that can kill pests easily. But if you are using it, then have to be very careful because this is a poison and can harm you. If you have any child or pet in your home, then keep them away from nematodes.
7. Aloe Vera to Kill Termites: –
Aloe Vera is another great remedy to kill termites easily at home. Follow the steps given below:
- Crush a plant of aloe vera. Now store the crush aloe vera plant in a container and fill it with the water.
- Whenever you will need it, just take a part of it and add 5 parts of water to it.
- Shake properly and spray on the affected areas.
8. Pesticide Fogger to Treat Termites: –
People have labeled pesticide fogger as termite bombs. It comes in a spray and contains liquid pesticide. When you release it, it comes out in a gas form (just like a spray deodorant). When termites come in the contact with the liquid they die immediately.
This pesticide is also harmful to humans and animals. So make keep your children and pets away from it. Inhaling and ingesting is also dangerous so while using put on the gloves and mask.
9. Electrocution to Get Rid of Termites: –
This is the most simple method to get rid of the termites. It is a device, which is easily available in the market. Pass the electricity current to the termites and they will die immediately. It can be a little dangerous to you if you use it with bare hands. So ensure that you are exposing yourself.
10. Canola Oil
This is another great remedy to get rid of termites. A study was conducted, where termites were kept in an empty glass container with water and canola oil. After 2-3 days, it was found that termites were killed with canola oil experiment. so you can also try this method to kill termites fast.
Do’s and Don’t to Get Rid of Termites:
- Protect your house from termites before getting infested. Identify the termite’s swarms, but do not get confused between ant swarms and termites swarms. Keep checking your furniture regularly and spot out the hollow surface.
- If you have a tree nearby your house and its branches cross the boundaries of your house, then cut them off. They can infest your house.
- The right amount of moisturizer inside your house will prevent you from termites infection.
- The dead plant products increase the chances of termites infection, so wipe them out.