In my previous article “Home remedies for Scabies“, we learned about Scabies and the causes of their occurrence on an individual’s body. The article also included a few natural home remedies that would have surely helped you to get rid of scabies infection and also fight the bacteria that cause infection. This article is also in continuation of the previous one and will make you learn that how do you get scabies? It will also deal with a few more natural remedies that can help to treat the cause and fight infection. Later, you can read articles on how to treat bed bug bites?, and how to treat eczema?.
Scabies describes a medical condition, where your skin is infected by a parasite. A mite called Sarcoptes scabies is responsible for this skin infection. The name of the mite itself gives you the idea of the type of infection it can result into. These little creepy monsters can even do worst, if stayed on the skin untreated, for a longer period of time. The mites lay their eggs by making burrows inside the surface of your skin and meanwhile create a severe bacterial infection on the site. This infection can lead to a weak immune system.
The symptoms are witnessed after 30 days and the initial period is often symptom less. It is contagious in nature and can easily spread from one infected individual to another. The patient needs to be under proper care and the other members of the family should avoid any kind of direct contact with the patient. These infections are more rampant in institutional settings.
How Do You Get Scabies?
The scabies mite is an eight-legged parasite called Sarcoptes scabies that is smaller than 0.5 mm in its size. Studies say that about 300 million people have suffered from scabies infection, worldwide.
- It generally spreads through sexual intercourse that involves a scabies infected partner. It can result in skin lesions on the groin, penis or vaginal area.
- Other causes include sharing of personal stuff like clothes, towels, bedding, and pillows.
- Direct contact with anything that has the infection causing mites, can result into scabies.
- It doesn’t transmit between humans and animals, but the mites can crawl onto others and can cause itching. Though, human mites do not multiply on animal skin and quickly die. Same happens in the case of animal mites.
Common Symptoms of a Scabies Infection:
The signs and symptoms of a scabies infection usually unveil after 2-6 weeks of exposure to the mite. It involves continuous itching, giving you sleepless nights. Some other symptoms include:
- Abrasions or bite like marks on the skin.
- Bumps like pimples or blisters, when the mite bites.
- These tend to affect the areas around the knee, wrist, groin, underarm or the elbow.
- Even the finger webs can get affected.
- Red bumps or rashes can also be witnessed on the skin, especially in children.
- This is a result of vigorous scratching.
- Large nodules of 2-20 mm in size appear on the skin of babies or infants.
- Small “S” shapes track is witnessed on the skin’s surface that indicates the movement of the mite inside the skin, especially in the finger webs or between the toe fingers.
- The developed mite burrows are small enough to get overlooked.
- Scabies infection usually occurs in the crevasses of the body that include areas like elbows, underarm, groin, buttocks, etc.
- They do not affect the areas like face, lips, neck, head, palms, scalp, soles except for the children and infants.
- Many of the normal skin rashes are confused with scabies, so it is better to consult a dermatologist and seek professional help.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid of Scabies Infection
1.) Use The Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper is known to have natural antibacterial properties that help to treat scabies infection eventually killing the responsible bacteria. It also contains capsaicin, a chemical that helps to provide relief from pain and inflammation in the affected area. When applied to the skin, it also prevents dryness and itching at the site of infection. The pepper is even responsible for killing the scabies mite when applied topically to the affected area.
- Simply prepare a solution of cayenne pepper and water.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture.
- Dab it on the affected area to treat the infection.
- You can also use this water and pepper solution to rinse your body.
- As an alternative, prepare a thick paste of cayenne pepper powder and water.
- Apply this to the affected area and leave it to dry.
- Finally, rinse with plain water and pat dry.
- Repeat the remedy regularly to treat the infection when you get scabies.
2.) Tiger Balm to Treat Scabies
Tiger balm is another exceptional remedy that can help when you get scabies infection. It is a cream that is used as a topical application to reduce the pain and itching caused by the mites and cures infection. The balm works as an analgesic because of the presence of clove oil and camphor in it.
- Simply apply the cream to the affected area.
- Repeat using the cream until the infection is completely cured.
- This will help to treat the infection on a regular application.
- It is a great remedy to try when you get scabies.
3.) Anise Seed Oil to Treat Infection
Anise oil can is used as a topical cream to treat a scabies infection. On regular application, it can help to fight infection and reduce inflammation caused due to the severity of the infection.
- Simply apply the oil to the affected area.
- Use a Q-tip for this procedure.
- Repeat the remedy until the infection is completely cured.
- It is a great ointment to apply topically when you get scabies.
NOTE- Anise is not recommended for pregnant women.
4.) Lilac to Treat Scabies
Lilac is rich in natural antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that proves it as an excellent remedy to use when you get scabies. This treats the infection by eventually killing the mites that are responsible for causing infection on the skin. Lilac simply, refrains the mite to grow on your skin and makes the area unsuitable for the mite to reside anymore.
- Simply boil a few lilac leaves in water.
- Soak your body in this water for at least half an hour.
- You can also prepare a paste of boiled lilac leaves and apply it to the infected area.
- Repeat either of the remedies continuously until the infection is completely cured.
5.) Clove Oil to Treat Scabies
Clove is said to have natural anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antimicrobial properties that help to dry out the blister developed on the skin due to the scabies infection. It is also toxic for scabies causing mite that makes the area unsuitable for them to reside anymore. The main key ingredient that is Ugenol is the actual component responsible for treating the infection when you get scabies.
- Mix a few drops of honey and coconut oil with 10-12 drops of clove oil.
- Apply this combination on the affected area.
- Repeat the remedy until the infection is completely cured.
- Honey and Coconut oil are an addition to the benefits of clove oil.
- As these components help to moisten the area, thus preventing from itching and inflammation.
6.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Scabies
Tea tree oil is known to have natural anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and soothing properties, that help to kill the infection causing scabies mite and cure the symptoms effectively. The oil is a remedy used for many skin ailments, especially that deals with mites, fleas, and other bacteria’s.
- Simply dilute tea tree oil in any base oil.
- Prefer olive or coconut oil.
- Apply this oil mixture to the affected area.
- You can also soak your body in tea tree oil bath.
- Simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to your bath filled with warm water.
- Soak your body in it for almost half an hour.
- Repeat either of the remedies regularly when your get scabies infection.
7.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Scabies
Turmeric is a surprising herb with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can greatly help with the symptoms of scabies. Follow the steps given below:
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2-3 drops of lemon juice.
- Add one spoon of water also to make a thick paste.
- Apply the fine paste on the scabies affected area.
- Keep it for 1 hour and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this process once daily until you see some improvement.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric and neem powder.
- Add 2-3 drops of water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and let it sit on its own.
- Wash off the affected area after it has dried.
- Repeat this process once daily for better results.
8.) White Vinegar to Get Rid of Scabies
Vinegar is acidic in nature that changes the pH level of the skin. It is found that any change in the pH level causes mites to die.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of white vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this solution on scabies affected skin.
- Keep it on the infected area for 15-20 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process for 2-3 times daily for a month to fight the infection completely.
9.) Aloe Vera to Cure Scabies
Aloe vera has medicinal and antibacterial properties that can fasten the healing process of insect bites, scabies and many other skin conditions.
- Take out some fresh aloe vera gel and apply it on the affected skin.
- Leave this for half an hour and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this 2-3 times daily for a few weeks until you notice some improvement.
10.) Pure Lavender Oil to Treat Scabies
Pure lavender oil helps promotes skin cell recovery and kills parasites and bacterias like mites that cause scabies.
- Add 4-5 drops of pure lavender oil to your warm bath water.
- Soak yourself in this water for at least 15-20 minutes.
- This will help calm the skin and provide some relieve from the itching.
- Do this method once daily for a few weeks.
11.) Garlic to Get Rid of Scabies:
This great antibacterial agent works in two ways. Firstly, it acts upon the infection and stops it from further spreading. Secondly, it smothers the microscopic mites and reduces its action the skin.
- Grind 2 to 3 cloves of garlic to make a paste.
- Apply this garlic paste on the affected area.
- Wash it with normal water after 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply garlic paste continuously for 3 days and then take a break of two days.
- Applying garlic continuously can burn your skin that is why it is necessary to take a break.
- Consume 2 to 3 cloves of garlic daily to treat internal infection.
12.) Onions to Cure Scabies:
The presence of quercetin in onion makes it a wonderful remedy to treat scabies. Quercetin soothes the affected area of the skin. It also contains sulphur compounds, which treats and scabies and mites on the skin. Onions also controls the infection from spreading.
- Grind a medium sized onion in a mixer.
- Apply the onion juice of the affected part of the skin.
- Leave it for one full day on the affected area.
- Reapply the juice in every 2 hours.
- Do this daily to ensure your skin comes back to normalcy.
Tips to Prevent Scabies:
- Avoid close contact with surfaces that contains mites.
- You need to wash all the fabrics in hot soapy water.
- Make sure that you don’t scratch your skin.
- Vacuum all the carpets and rugs in your home.
- Take a healthy diet to ease the discomfort caused by scabies.