Tooth discoloration is natural over time. As an individual gets older their teeth also lose its original whiteness and appear yellow, with other discolored stains. Even though it is a natural process but, our lifestyle robs the natural whiteness of your pearly whites before time. This article will make you learn about the causes of this teeth discoloration and some natural remedies to get whiter teeth. This will ensure your pearly white smile and the gleaming confidence.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
1.) Foods and Drinks
Drinks like coffee, tea, fizzy carbonated fluids, and alcohol can trigger the discoloration of teeth. Also, a few fruits and vegetables like apples and potatoes can make your teeth appear stained. This is because of the elements’ harmful reaction on the enamel of your teeth that are present in these foods and drinks. As they contain an excess amount of sugar and is also acidic in nature, which is intolerable for your teeth. This does not mean that you have to put a halt on their consumption or ban them from your diet. We are only asking you to quit the excessive consumption of these ingredients.
They may not be harmful to your health but are surely harmful to your teeth and can rob their natural beauty.
Tobacco is another major reason for teeth discoloration. The nicotine content present in tobacco proves notorious for your teeth, ending up with yellow, ugly stains.
3.) Poor Hygiene
Irregular or improper brushing of the teeth can also lead to their discoloration. This will result in plaque buildup on your teeth followed by staining.
Certain diseases can also lead to unnatural teeth discoloration. Head and neck radiation and chemotherapy can also result in tooth discoloration.
Certain medication can also trigger the discoloration of your teeth no matter if they are consumed for the betterment of your health. Medications containing tetracycline and doxycycline are harmful to your teeth enamel. They are best known for teeth discoloration especially in child development. Certain mouthwashes that have clorexdine, antipsychotics, cetylpridimium chloride, and antihistamines can also trigger teeth discoloration.
The environment where you live can also trigger the discoloration of your teeth enamel. High levels of fluoride in drinking water or excessive use of rinses with fluorides can also affect the tooth enamel.
Natural Remedies to Get Whiter Teeth
Teeth whitening is basically a process of restoring the natural color and beauty of your teeth and get rid of those ugly yellow stains. There are various natural remedies available that can whiten your teeth and restore the natural beauty of your pearly whites.
1.) Baking Soda for Teeth Whitening
Baking soda is the best available ingredient in the market that acts as a bleaching agent and whitens the stained teeth enamel.
- Mix two tablespoons of Baking soda in a cup of cold water.
- Stir the solution well and use it as a mouth rinse.
- Repeat the remedy two to three times a day to get rid of discolored teeth and nasty stains off your teeth.
- This will help you to whiten your teeth over time.
- Instead of preparing a water solution you can prepare a thick paste of baking soda.
- Use it as toothpaste regularly to get whiter teeth.
NOTE- Excessive use of baking soda can also have opposite effect on your teeth so be very cautious while its application.
2.) Lemony Fresh Toothpaste
Use of lemon is not limited to your skin but can also benefit your mouth. Apart from getting rid of the plaque it also helps to whiten your teeth over time.
- Squeeze the juice of a whole lemon and dilute it in a few drops of water.
- Now, use this solution as a mouthwash.
- You can also use lemon peel as a tooth scrub.
- This will help to get whiter teeth on regular usage.
- Alternatively, you can also mix some salt with lemon juice to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the stained teeth and rub toothpaste over this.
- Leave this on your teeth for a few minutes then rinse your mouth.
- Repeat the remedy regularly to get whiter teeth over time.
3.) Savor the Strawberries
Due to being rich in Vitamin C, Strawberries are a great remedy to get rid of nasty yellow stains and get whiter teeth over time on regular usage.
- Crush 2-3 strawberries and apply the paste on your teeth.
- Scrub them well and then rinse.
- Practice the procedure regularly to get whiter teeth.
- Alternatively, you can also mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda to the strawberry paste.
- Smear all over the teeth and let it work for a few minutes.
- Then rinse your mouth.
- Brush your teeth properly after this procedure to remove the remains.
4.) ACV Rinse for Whiter Teeth
Apples increase the production of saliva and keep your mouth fresh. It is because of the malic acid present in apples and the fibers help to remove stains. Always use organic ACV that has the mother in it.
- Dilute organic Apple Cider Vinegar in water to form a solution.
- Use it as a mouthwash twice daily.
- This will help to get whiter teeth over time.
- You can also have an apple each day.
- The fibers present in the apple will help you get whiter teeth by removing the nasty stains.
5.) Salt to Remove Nasty Stains
Salt is an ingredient that is easily available in every kitchen. It is known as the best remedy that will help you to get whiter teeth on a regular application. This teeth whitening takes place when the salt applied to them meets up the mineral requirements of the tooth enamel and helps to regain their pearly white beauty.
- Salt can be used as tooth powder every morning.
- This will help you to get whiter teeth over time.
- You can also use the alternative remedy by mixing salt with charcoal powder and using it as a tooth powder.
- Mixing salt with baking soda and using it as a tooth cleanser helps to get whiter teeth over time.
NOTE- Salt is a bit harmful to gums and enamel. So be cautious while usage and do not use it excessively.
6.) Margosa for Whiter Teeth
Margosa or Lilac is a touted remedy that is being used by many to remove the nasty stains and get a pearly white smile over time. The antiseptic and astringent properties Lilac helps to cure dental cavities and bad breath.
- Lilac twigs can also be used a toothbrush.
- Chew the branches of Margosa to prevent your teeth from odor, plaque, and discoloration.
- It helps to maintain the health of your mouth.
- This will you get whiter teeth over time.
- Lilac essential oil mixed with your regular toothpaste can prove an excellent remedy.
7.) Orange Peel for Whiter Teeth
Orange peel contains calcium and Vitamin C, this helps to fight against microorganisms and bacteria that cause dental infection and tooth decay. This is an effective tooth whitening remedy when applied regularly.
- You can rub orange peel directly to your gums to get whiter teeth over time
- Follow the remedy every night before sleep.
- Dried orange peel powder can also be used as tooth powder regularly.
- This will help you get rid of nasty yellow stains and achieve a pearly white smile over time.
8.) Hydrogen Peroxide for Whiter Teeth
Hydrogen Peroxide has teeth whitening properties that help to get rid of plaque and yellow stains off your teeth. It also helps to kill bacteria present in your mouth that causes tooth decay and dental cavities.
- Use mouth wash that has hydrogen peroxide to get whiter teeth.
- Alternatively, you can also mix hydrogen peroxide with baking soda to make a toothpaste
- Brush your teeth with this homemade toothpaste to get whiter teeth over time.
NOTE- Do not swallow Hydrogen Peroxide while gargling, it is harmful to your health. Also, it can lead to the sensitivity in your teeth so, use it with caution.
9.) Banana Peel for Pearly Whites
Banana peel is rich in nutrients and it also possesses minerals like magnesium, manganese, and potassium. These elements penetrate in the tooth enamel and whiten them, regaining back your pearly white smile.
- You can directly rub the Banana peel on your teeth for 2 minutes.
- Now, let the peel remains stay on the teeth for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush your teeth with the regular procedure after application.
- Regular application will help to get whiter teeth over time.
- Repeat the remedy twice or thrice in a week.
10.) Crunchy Carrots for Your Pearly Whites
Carrots have natural cleaning and teeth whitening properties that help to eliminate the plaque and get whiter teeth. They help to maintain the balance of acid-alkaline in your mouth, thus killing the bacteria.
- Blend a few carrots in a blender to get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your teeth and scrub.
- Leave this for at least 20 minutes to work up.
- Brush with your regular toothpaste after application to remove the remains.
- This will help to get whiter teeth on regular usage.
- Repeat the remedy twice daily to get effective results.
11.) Cheese to Get White Teeth
This may sound strange but it is an effective remedy to get whiter teeth and remove nasty stains off your teeth. It has natural teeth whitening elements that help the teeth to regain its natural white beauty.
Consuming a piece of cheese after every meal helps to promote the mineralization of your teeth and also prevent tooth decay as well as dental cavities.
12.) Oil Pulling Remedy
Oil is basically used to improve and maintain the oral health. Oils can also be used as a mouthwash for your teeth. Coconut oil, when mixed with saliva, transform into a natural tooth whitening agent.
- Choose any oil among Sesame, Coconut, Sunflower or Olive oil
- Take a small amount of the chosen oil and rub it on your teeth, gently giving a massage to your gums as well.
- Continue this for 20 minutes.
- Now, finally rinse your mouth with plain water.
- Oil can also be used to gargle. This will pay attention to all corners of your mouth that cannot be reached easily.
- After the gargle, spit out the remains and rinse your mouth with plain water.
- This will help to get white teeth and remove nasty yellow stains off your teeth.