Want a natural glow on your face? Do you desire to live a healthy life and have healthy relations? Want to get success at work? Want to live a peaceful life? If the answer to all the questions is yes, then it is important to have a sound sleep. In this article, you will find some best ways to go to sleep. If you will sleep properly, then automatically you will climb the first step towards success.
Causes of Sleep Loss:
- Hormonal changes.
- Stomach problems such as acidity or heartburn.
- Untidy room
- Smoking and drinking alcohol
- Too much caffeine intake
Best Ways to Go to Sleep:
1. Prepare a Cozy Bed:
Mattress: The first thing that comes to the mind while preparing a cozy bed is the mattress. You must have heard many people complaining about the back pain and how their night just goes in twisting and turning.
Here are a few kinds of Mattresses that will help you to go to sleep.
- Sleep Number Beds: The biggest advantage of sleep number beds is that you can make the bed firmer or softer according to your convenience. You can also tilt the bed in a reclining position.
- Memory Foam: This will support your body and will also apply pressure on certain points of the body which will relax you and help you to go to sleep. This kind of mattresses mold according to the shape of your body. But if you want to sleep on a cool surface, then this may not be a good choice for you as these mattresses get warm over the night.
- Soft mattresses: If you have a complain of back pain, then a soft mattress is the best option for you.
- Firm Mattresses: According to a study, if you sleep on a firm mattress the blood circulation increases in your body which help you to sleep better.
Pillows: It plays an important part in a comfortable sleep by collecting all the stress from the head and neck. You can use a lavender scented pillow for a relaxing sleep. Use silk pillowcase which is one of the most comfortable and luxurious fabrics. It is also a good choice for people with sensitive skin as it will prevent them from allergies. Silk remains cool all night so it is good for the summer nights. You can also use a chiropractic pillow to get support in all the right places.
Bed Sheets: Now this is very important for a sound sleep. You can use a pure cotton bed sheet as it breathes more.
2. Make an Aura of Sleeping:
- Clean the Mess: Try to clean your room. Don’t put your office files, your exercise machine, television in your sleeping room. This will distract your mind and will prevent you from sleeping. Use your room only for sleeping and not for other activities.
- Sleep in a Dark Room: A dark room indicates your mind that it is time to sleep. Now when the body will get the signal of sleeping it will produce a calming hormone called melatonin, which will help you to go to sleep. That is why it is said not to see television or use other electronic gadgets before sleeping because the blue light from it inhibits the production of the calming hormone.
- A Cool Temperature: You must have heard many people saying that they get a sound sleep when they sleep in a cool room with cozy blankets on the top. The reason behind this is that when you sleep the temperature of your body cools down. But when you sleep in a warm room it takes harder for the body to cool down which may disrupt your sleep.
- Fragrance in the Room: You can use a lavender room freshener for the best aroma in the room. If you keep some small plants in your room it will not only maintain the quality of air in the room but will also help you to go to sleep.
3. Try this Bedtime Exercise to Go to Sleep:
According to doctor Andrew Weil, this exercise will help you to go to sleep. This exercise works well because it delivers more oxygen than you get in normal breathing.
Steps to do:
- Touch the upper tissue of your mouth, which is behind the front teeth with your tongue.
- Now, Inhale the fresh air through your nose. Do this in a count of 4.
- Endure your breath and count till 8.
- Make a whoosh sound at the count of 8 when you exhale the air from your mouth.
- Repeat this exercise 4 to 5 times to go to sleep.
4. Cut Down Your Worries to go to Sleep:
This is a very simple way to go to sleep. When you are stressed your brain keeps on finding the solutions for your problem which prevents you from sleeping. Sometimes you are so anxious and worried you wake up in the midnight. The best way to avoid this is to decide a worrying time. Take out 20 minutes of your day to think about the worries and fears. You can jot it down on a paper. When you write it down, your brain will be relaxed and then it will produce melatonin, which will help you to sleep. Keep a diary and a pen on your side table in case you get up in the middle of the night.
5. Be Quick-Witted About Your Food and Drinks:
Your eating habits play an important role in sleeping.
What Should You Avoid Before Bedtime:
- Caffeine: It prevents you from sleeping and you will be surprised to know that it can keep you awake for 10 to 12 hours.
- Avoid smoking before bedtime. It can disrupt your sleep.
- Don’t eat too much spicy or heavy meals at dinner. It can prevent you from sleeping by causing problems like indigestion, acidity, and heartburn.
- Avoid alcohol. It will disrupt your sleep cycle.
- Don’t drink too much fluid before bedtime otherwise, you will have frequent urination which will not let you sleep peacefully.
What You can Eat Before Bedtime:
- A glass of hot milk.
- A bowl of yogurt.
- Turkey sandwich.
- A bowl of whole grains.
- Fruit salad.
6. Forget About Your Electronic Devices:
The electronic devices such as laptops, cell phones, and tablet emit sleep stealing lights. It reduces the production of the calming hormone and prevents you from sleeping. You get so much addicted to playing games on electronic gadgets that you forget your sleeping time.
You should not use a digital alarm clock as it will keep reminding you the time and will create worry in your mind about losing sleep which will not allow you to sleep.
7. Acupressure to Go to Sleep:
Acupressure relaxes your body and will help you to sleep better. Here are some acupressure points which you should press to go to sleep.
Anmian: This point is located on the head just before the ear.
What to do:
- Find out the soft section before your neck muscles that connect with your jawline.
- Press that point using your index finger.
- Keep on pressing it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When you do this, your body relaxes and you feel sleepy.
Shimien: This point is located on the sole of the feet in front of your heels.
What to do:
- Use a pen to find the point in front of the heel.
- Press the point for at least 10 minutes.
- Don’t apply too much pressure as this is a sensitive point. Too much pressure can hurt you or can cause some serious damage.
- This will help you to go to sleep.
Nieguan: You can find this point easily as this is a natural depression between the tendons of your hand.
What to do:
- Press on this point using your index finger.
- Do this for about 15 minutes.
- This will help you to get a sound sleep.
Shenmen: This point is located at the intersection of the base of the small finger and the crease of the wrist.
What to do:
- Use your thumb to apply pressure on this point.
- Keep on pressing it for 30 to 40 seconds.
- This will decrease your energy level and will signal your brain to sleep.
8. 30 minutes Schedule Before Bedtime:
Follow the steps given below:
What to do:
- You can read your favorite book before bedtime.
- Think about something that makes you happy.
- Having a glass of hot milk is also a good idea.
- You can listen to some soft music.