Trying to get rid of annoying little tiny ants, have been spotted in your house everywhere. Almost half of the world is suffering from the same problem. Ants can be spotted almost in every home and everybody is looking for a natural idea to deal with ants naturally. Read this article to make different homemade ant killer.
Some Facts About Ants:
- Ants live in groups and one class within the group is the worker or gatherer. Who make up approximately 10% of the group and it’s their work to go, find and collect food, then bring it to feed the rest of the group.
- Ants leave a scented sign for each other so that they can find their way back to the food source.
- The sign can be both visible and invisible to human eyes, but they can follow the sign easily.
- Splashing water on these signs will confuse them and make it difficult to find their favorite places.
- They mainly look for two things: food and water.
- Make your own cleaners with the tips list below and make a repellent that ants will avoid.
List of Natural Ant Repellents:
The solutions in the article are deterrents. They stop the ants from coming in your house. This seems to work very well to kill the whole colony of ants.
There is a list of repellent, which is worth using.
- Ground Black Pepper.
- Cucumber Peels.
- Red Pepper Flakes.
- Whole Cloves.
- Bay Leaves.
- Red Chili Powder.
- Used Coffee Grounds.
- Essential Oils: Peppermint, Lavender, Eucalyptus. Swab these around entrance points.
Spread any of the repellents around the holes and the cracks. Also spread around baseboards, along with window sills, in corners and outside doors. But this is not a permanent solution. Ants will come back after a certain time.
Tips for Homemade Ant Killer
1.) Use Borax Acid as a Homemade Ant Killer
There are so many ways to use borax acid. Borax acid is one of the ants repellents. Mix it with sugar, water or with any eatables to kill those tiny pesky insects.
i) Borax with Sugar
Follow the steps given below:
You will need:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp Borax.
- Mix it all to make a solution.
- Put it in a spray bottle and spray on the affected areas.
- Keep this solution away from kids and pets. Place plastic container over the solution with holes in the lid for the ants to get in and put a little bit of plain sugar water on the outer side of the container to lure the ants.
ii) Peanut Butter and Boric Acid
- 1 TBS Borax
- 2 tablespoons of Peanut butter
- Mix and set out on pieces of paper or plates.
iii) Jam with Borax Acid
- Take the same amount of borax acid and jam
- Mix the boric acid with the jam to make a paste.
- Spread or smear it on a piece in a covered container with holes.
2.) Peppermint Essential Oil as a Homemade Ant Killer
Peppermint essential oil is very useful to get rid of ants. Make a homemade ant killer with the help of peppermint.
Take a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball and place in areas ants are crawling around.
3.) Vinegar and Water Solution as a Homemade Ant Killer
Use vinegar for ant free area. Vinegar is a very good ant repellent. Make a solution of apple cider vinegar to make your own homemade ant killer.
- Vinegar & Water in the same amount.
- Apple cider Vinegar & Water
- One of these essential oils: Lavender, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree Oil, Witch Hazel Extract
- Water–per spray bottle
- Liquid Dish Detergent & Water.
- Spray on the ants occupied the area.
4.) Treat Ants with Dish Soap as a Homemade Ant Killer
This is an easily available homemade ant killer. Dish soap makes ants dehydrated, as a result, ants die.
- Mix 1-quart water, 5ml dish soap, and 5 ml oil in a spray bottle. Mix well to combine.
- Spray the solution on the ants directly. You can also spray this in the areas the ants frequent.
5.) Apple Juice for Homemade Ant Killer
Sweet and sticky apple juice serve the role to lure and attract the ants. It is an artificial sweetener that kills the ants. But for that, this artificial sweetener must have aspartame, dextrose, and maltodextrin. This mix works as a neurotoxin on the ants. This is another quick and easy homemade ant killer.
You will need:
- Apple juice- half cup
- Artificial sweetener- 10-15 ml
Combine this well and put into a spray bottle. Spray this solution in the areas that ants frequently gather, like doorways and along the walls.
6.) Baking Soda to Treat Ant Infestation
The baking soda is a simple and easy homemade ant killer. The baking soda reacts with the formic acid in the ant’s stomach to create gas at a rapid speed. But the ant cannot expel this gas. This is where the sugar plays an important role.
You will Need:
- Baking soda- 5 tablespoons
- Powdered sugar- 5 tablespoons
- Water- 3 tablespoons
- Mix the baking soda and powdered sugar well.
- Add the water and make a loose paste.
- Put this in small amount along the walls and wherever ants gather.
7.) Kill Ants with Cornmeal
Cornmeal is one of the best homemade ant killers. It upsets the digestive process of the ant. The ants will die of starvation. Ants will carry it back to the nest and whole ants will die out.
- Place a small heap of cornmeal near sources of food.
- If plain cornmeal does not attract the ants try to mix a little sugar to attract ants.
8.) Tea Bag to Get Rid of Ants Fast
Don’t throw used tea bags because are quite useful to remove ants from the home easily. Using tea bags is very easy. Just place some mint tea bag in the areas where the ants are most active. Dry and crushed tea bags will also work effectively for you and will help you to get rid of ants hopefully.
9.) Powdered Yeast to Get Rid of Ants Fast
Powdered yeast can also do the magic to remove the ants. Mix powdered yeast and sugar together and put in the area occupied by ants. This trick will ensure you that ants will never bother you.
10.) Use Cucumber Peels as Ant Repellent
Cucumber is also very useful to get rid of ants. But this is not a long time solution to get rid of them. Place cucumber peel on the area where ants visit the most.
11.) Red Chili Powder
This is another effective and easy remedy to get rid of ants fast. Mix a little amount of water with red chili powder to make a paste. Use this paste to stop ants from entering your house. Alternatively, sprinkle chili powder in the infestation areas and their colonies.
12.) Cream of Wheat
Prepare a wheat cream and place it where ants can reach easily. Ants can’t digest this cream so they will die. The wheat cream then swells in the stomach of ant causing its death. Try this simple remedy to kill ants at home.
13.) Make a Line
Usually, ants hate some natural things and their smell. They don’t go near to such substances. You can create a line from some natural substances around the boundary of your house or the places where you witness ants. Make a line using ground lemon or orange peels, cinnamon, or cayenne pepper.
- You can also use some other preventive barriers including a line of powdered cinnamon, charcoal, turmeric, powdered cleanser, citrus oil or desiccating dust like diatomaceous earth or silica aerogel.
14.) Petroleum Jelly
Spread some petroleum jelly on entrance, cracks of each window and around doors. It restricts ants and they won’t be able to pass this sticky substance. It is one of the easiest ways to get rid of ants.
You can use caulk to tape any crack, gap or hole through which the ants travels. Caulking is one of the least risky ways to get rid of ants.
Note: You can also seal all the entrance area using glue, plaster, putty, poster, tack, and silicone caulk.
16.) Salt and Talc
Everybody have salt and talc at their home. Spreading salt and talc on walls, doors and windows will stop recurring of ants as ants do not like the smell of talc and salt. You can also use baby powder or tailor’s chalk to make a nuisance for ants.
Note: Wear a mask while using any form of talc.
17.) Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is one of the best remedies to prevent ants. All you need to do is fill some rubbing alcohol mixed with water. Also, mix 1½ tsp of dish soap in it. Shake the bottle well. Spray this solution onto the ants or the infestation areas.
18.) Camphor Oil
Camphor oil also helps get rid of ants naturally as ants cannot bear the smell of camphor oil. To make this homemade ant killer, take camphor oil and alcohol in a ratio of 1:9 and make a mixture. Pour this mixture on the anthill in order to kill them.
Tips While Using Boric Acid:
- Boric Acid can be harmful if swallowed.
- Place the bait in covered plastic containers with a few holes poked in the sides.
- Also use glass jars sealed with lids–just poke holes in the top lid.
- Mark a bit of non-poisoned bait on top of the lid.
- For best results change it daily.
- Place the bait in places where you see the regular activity of ants and near the points of entry if you know.
- Don’t show your care while washing away their trails, otherwise, you’ll allow them to find the bait spots easily again and again. All the members of the colony can follow each other’s signs, so even if you killed off the first workers, the members of the group will follow the trail they left.
- Use protein food instead of sugar to lure them as ants love protein food so much. Change your method as needed.