Are you fed up of your dark circles and don’t know what to do? Here, we bring you some effective remedies to get rid of dark circles under eyes. But let’s first learn about dark circles and its causes. Periorbital Dark Circles develop under the eye due to stress, tiredness, working for long hours, or staying up late at night. Sleep deprivation is also a major cause of under eye circles and bagginess. Genes also play a major role in here.
What Actually Happens When the Dark Circles Appear?
Periorbital dark Circles are a result of the thin layer of the skin below the eyes that unveils the blood vessels more clearly than anywhere else in your body. This thin layer of skin around the eyes is as the Periorbital Skin which is just about 0.5 mm thick as compared to the maximum of 2 mm thickness on the rest of your body.
Now, the reason why the skin appears dark or blue in color is because your skin i.e. the Subcutaneous tissue only lets blue or violet color wavelengths of light pass through it. Thus, making it appear blue or darker under the eyes. The veins may even appear brown or green rather than blue, depending on the skin tone of the person. People with the extreme light skin tone like Albinos will typically get the skin dark purple or dark red under the eye, resembling the actual color of their blood.
As we age our skin loses elasticity and become thinner. Resulting in a more clear vision of the blood vessels around the area where the skin is already thin as compared to the rest of your body. So, in many cases, elderly people have rather more prominent Dark Circles regardless of the amount of sleep they take.
Periorbital Hyper-pigmentation is also a major reason for under eye circles. This is a condition where skin under your eye produces more melanin than the required amount. Thus leading to more prominent dark circles. This condition mostly affects people with slightly darker skin tone. Oxidization of blood leaking in the preorbital skin is also a serious cause of under eye dark circles. In simple terms, the blood vessels in the skin around your eye get ruptured and the blood leaks out. This leads to the puffy, dark-colored under eye skin.
All these conditions are neither harmful nor any serious medical condition to deal with. They are easily treated by various remedies and OTC treatments available at the Dermatologists. Although we recommend only natural remedies to cure dark circles as OTC’s may have side effects that can also prove harmful sometimes.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Circles
1.) Tomatoes to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Tomatoes have bleaching properties that can lighten the dark skin tone under your eye and it is also a safe remedy to use for the skin near the eyes. They contain Lycopene, which is photo-chemical in nature and is beneficial for the skin. It also protects the skin against damage.
- Mix tomato and lemon juice in equal quantities and apply to the under eye skin.
- Let it stay to work for about 10 minutes then wash off with cold water.
- Repeat the remedy twice a day regularly to get rid of dark circles under eyes quickly over time.
2.) Almond Oil to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Almonds are rich in Vitamin E which is beneficial for the skin. The oil acts as an Emollient as it has the properties to make your skin supple and soft.
- Apply a small amount of Almond Oil on your under eyes skin and gently massage the area using your fingers.
- Leave it to work overnight and wash your face the next morning.
- Repeat this remedy every night before going to sleep until your get effective results.
NOTE- Almond oil is available in two varieties i.e. bitter and sweet. Bitter almond oil is not recommended for skin and only used in Aromatherapy. It should also never be taken orally.
3.) Orange Juice for Under Eye Circles Under Eyes
Oranges are a rich source of Vitamin C that helps to lighten the skin tone and conceal dark coloration.
- Mix one teaspoon of orange juice and a few drops of glycerin to form a mixture.
- Apply this to your dark circles under the eye and let it work for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with plain water.
- Start your day with this remedy regularly to get effective results.
4.) Potatoes for Dark Circles
Potatoes are rich in enzymes, Vitamin C, and starch. All these elements help to nourish the skin and get rid of dark circles under eyes easily.
- Grate a peeled raw potato and extract the juice by squeezing it off.
- Soak cotton balls in the juice and place them under the eyes.
- Make sure the area is fully covered with the cotton balls.
- Leave it to work for 10-15 minutes then wash off with cold water.
- Repeat the remedy twice a day regularly to get effective results.
5.) The Green Tea Bag Remedy
Dark circle develops when the blood vessels dilate under the skin around the eyes. Green tea helps to reduce the dilation , thereby helping to get rid of dark circles. In addition to its benefits, it also contains Tannin that has astringent properties. This constricts the blood vessels and capillaries under the eye.
- Take 2 green tea bags and refrigerate them for a while.
- Now take them out and place under the eyes for about 15 minutes.
- You can wash off the face afterwards if you want to.
- This will make your feel refreshed immediately.
- Repeat the remedy daily in order to evidence considerable effects.
6.) The Cucumber Trick
They contain cooling properties and also the antioxidants present in cucumbers like Vitexin, cucurbitacins and orientin help to reduce the pigmentation and get rid of dark circles under eyes.
- Take a fresh peeled cucumber and cut into thick slices.
- Refrigerate these slices for 30 minutes.
- Now, place them under your eyes ensuring full coverage.
- Leave it to work for about 10-15 minutes and then remove.
- Wash your eyes if you want.
- Repeat the remedy twice a day regularly to get effective results.
7.) Mint Leaves for Dark Circles
Mint leaves are a rich source of Vitamin C which is efficient to cure dark circles and easily get rid of them. It also improves skin’s health.
- Take a few mint leaves and crush them.
- Mix a few drops of water to obtain a smooth paste like consistency.
- Now, apply this paste to the affected area and leave to work for 10 minutes.
- Afterwards, wash off with cold water.
- Repeat this remedy every night before going to sleep, regularly for effective results.
NOTE- While using peppermint leaves be cautious as they can cause serious reactions like flushing to some people with over sensitive skin. Ensure doing a patch test before proper application.
8.) Cold Milk Remedy
Milk has lactic acid that has given effective results, helping to get rid of dark circles under eyes. It also improves the firmness, thickness, and smoothness of the skin, eliminating fine lines and wrinkles.
- Take a bowl of cold milk and soak a few cotton balls in it.
- Place the cotton ball under the eyes ensuring full coverage.
- Let it work for 15 minutes and then rinse it off if you want.
- Otherwise, it won’t harm staying on your skin.
- Repeat this remedy to get effective results.
9.) Rose Water Remedy
Rose water has antioxidants and coolant properties that help to strengthen the cells and rejuvenate the skin, thus helping to get rid of dark circles under eyes easily.
- Take a few cotton balls and soak it in rose-water.
- Place on the under eye skin ensuring full coverage.
- Let it work for 15 minutes and then wash off if your want to.
10.) Milk and Almond Remedy
Almonds contain Vitamin E that is an important skin essential. It is helpful in enhancing the glow of your skin. On the other hand, milk has its own skin benefits. It helps to nourish the skin. When mixed together, they work as a magical remedy for your skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of crushed almonds and raw milk to get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste to the under eye skin and let it work for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water afterwards.
- Repeat this remedy once every day to get rid of dark circles under eyes easily.
11.) Nutmeg to Get Rid of Dark Circles
Nutmeg is beneficial to work against blemishes, acne spots and also to lighten dark skin and pigmentation. Vitamin E and C present in Nutmeg are an addition to its skin benefits.
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of grounded Nutmeg and mix enough milk to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to the under eye skin or where ever you have pigmentation on your skin.
- Let it work overnight and then rinse off the next morning.
- Repeat the remedy daily before going to sleep to get effective results.
12.) Coconut Oil Massage
It is also an effective remedy to get rid of dark circles under eyes as it helps to lighten the skin tone near the eye and also nourishes the skin at the same time. Thus promoting a smoother and softer, wrinkle free skin.
- Take a small amount of lukewarm coconut oil on your fingertips and gently massage the area near the eyes.
- Let it work for a few minutes and then wash off if you really want to or let it stay.
- Repeat this remedy every night before going to bed to get effective results.