An Ingrown toenail is an agonizing condition of the toe, it’s a common nail disease and often has a recurring process. It usually happens when the sharp edges of the toenail dig into the skin from one end or maybe both the ends. The ingrown toenail causes extreme pain and inflammation in your toenail. It also developed extra tissue into your toenail which also produces yellow fluid. The ingrown toenail mostly happens with adults and adolescent, it’s less common in children and infants. In this article, you will get a compendium of knowledge for ingrown toenail home treatment.
Ingrown toenail also knew as Un guide incarnation and Onychomycosis. The infection gets worse when the pain in your toenail allows the bacteria to enter into the wound thus it becomes an infection. Your nail and skin composed of keratin. The nails are made of huge keratin cells that force towards from your finger nail. When the nail changes its shape, the ridges which hold the nail becomes loose, hence this cause nail to grow inside the corner of the nail. It’s to treat the nail at home, which will turn into worst infection later. So, here is an ingrown toenail home treatment to grow your nail.
Causes of Ingrown Toenail:
- Injury triggers ingrown toenail.
- Wearing tight and small size shoes.
- Sensitivity and pressure.
- Fungal infection.
- Improper trimming of the nails.
- Fungal infection.
Symptoms of Ingrown Toenail:
- Pain in the edges of the nail.
- Pain while wearing a footwear and cause pain in your toe.
- Yellow fluid discharge.
- Fluid discharge with traces of blood.
Best Ingrown Toenail Home Treatment
Apple Cider Vinegar for Ingrown Toenail Home Treatment
Apple cider vinegar is alkaline in nature and highly effective for ingrown toenail home treatment. It helps in maintaining the pH of skin and nail. The bacteria and fungus scared with apple cider vinegar because of the alkaline nature. The apple cider vinegar turns the base of the nail into acidic nature, so the fungus won’t grow. As the apple cider vinegar is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory in nature which easily treats ingrown toenail and their symptoms.
For ingrown toenail home treatment, take an equal amount of apple cider vinegar with water and pour into the foot tub. Infuse your affected nail in the tub for about 20-30 minutes. After that, dry your nail with a cloth. You can also try the other method for ingrown toenail home treatment with raw vinegar. Infuse the cotton swab in the raw vinegar and place it on the affected area and wrap it with the bandage for a few hours.
Tea Tree Oil to Cure Ingrown Toenail
Tea tree oil is miraculous, used in many home remedies and in medicines which are used by our native for thousand of the year. The tea tree oil has useful properties for ingrown toenail home treatment. It’s fungicide, antibacterial, antiseptic and antiviral in nature. It reduces the pain and stops the growth of fungus. The antibiotic properties of the ingrown nail fight against the infection, bacteria, and infected skin condition. It’s very effective in the fungal infection.
For ingrown toenail home treatment, with the help of the dropper, take 1-2 drops of the tea tree oil with any other oil like coconut oil or olive oil. As the tea tree oil is highly effective in nature, so it should be diluted with the other oil for better effects. Apply the diluted oil on the finger nail and wrap it with a bandage and leave it overnight. Do this remedy until it cures.
Baking Soda to Heal Ingrown Toenail
Baking soda is very effective in the ingrown toenail fungal infection. As the fungus, mold, the yeast becomes very sensitive to the pH level of baking soda. Baking soda or sodium carbonate is the best ingrown toenail treatment as it is highly effective for fungal infection. The alkaline nature of the baking soda reduces infection in the toenail and inflammation.
For ingrown toenail treatment, take a warm water and put 3 parts of the baking soda in it. Let your nails infused in the solution for 20-30 minutes. Then dry your nails and wipe with a clean cloth. Do this remedy until you see the results from your eyes.
Turmeric for Ingrown Toenail Home Treatment
The herbal properties of turmeric are highly effective for ingrown toenail home treatment. It is anti-fungal and antioxidant in nature. The Curcumin compound present in the turmeric is highly inflammatory and antiseptic in nature, also reduce the pain of ingrown toenail. The antibacterial and anti-fungal properties help to fight against the enter bacteria and fungus caused by the ingrown toenail.
For ingrown toenail home treatment, take a half teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little mustard oil. Make a paste by mixing the both the ingredient and spread the paste on the affected area. Cover the area with a bandage. Do this remedy 2-3 times in a day until you see the results. You can also drink the turmeric milk 1-2 glass in a day to heal the ingrown toenail.
Onion to Treat Ingrown Toenails
It’s the best and convenient remedy for ingrown toenail home treatment. Onion is found in every kitchen and besides its delicious taste, it has some medicinal properties to treat ingrown nails. It has antifungal and anti-bacterial properties that make it a good cure for the ingrown toenail. It fights against the infection and kills the bacteria caused by the ingrown toenail, thus it leads to the healing process.
For ingrown toenail, you need to cut one onion into the 2 pieces. Rub a piece on the ingrown toenail affected area. Rub the moist part of the onion on the fungus. Do this remedy until the fungus disappears from your toe.
Soak Your Feet to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenail
Soaking your feet in warm water is very effective for your ingrown toenail home treatment. It is very effective in swelling, pain and tenderness caused by the ingrown toenail. It’s essential to soak ingrown toenail for making its surrounding and skin soft. Use Epsom salt in warm water to soak your feet, which is known as magnesium sulfate and very effective in treating the inflammation in an ingrown toenail. You can also use hydrogen peroxide in the water, which is very effective in disinfecting the area. Hydrogen peroxide reduces the infection, inflammation, and pain caused by the ingrown nail
Ways to Soak Your Nails:
- Epsom Salt, for Ingrown Toenail Treatment: Take a tub of warm water and add 1 tablespoon of the Epsom salt. Soak your feet in the solution for about 20 minutes. Remove your feet from the water and dry it. Repeat this remedy 3-4 times a day for better results.
- Hydrogen peroxide, for ingrown home treatment: take a half cup of hydrogen peroxide and pour it into the warm water tub. Soak the toenail for 20 minutes in the solution. Repeat this remedy for 2 times in a day for better results.
Tips for Ingrown Toenail Home Treatment:
- Trim your nail correctly, improper cutting and shape of the nails lead to ingrown toenails.
- When you are at home, do not wear socks and shoes which affect the toenail to get the fresh air for a speedy recovery.
- Don’t give moisture except the soaking, dry nail heal faster and also give rest to your toenail.
- Maintain your foot with proper hygiene by washing and cleaning regularly.
- Always purchase your size of footwear, don’t compromise with size as small size leads to ingrown toenails.
- Scrub your feet with the help of the pumice stone, to avoid the hard and dead skin.
- Wear only socks that are made up of cotton and change it daily.
- Aware of the sign of ingrown nail like redness, drainage of the pus, swelling and infection.
- Diabetic people are more prone to ingrown nail so they should check it regularly.
- Consult a doctor for proper treatment if these treatments won’t work.
Note: These ingrown toenail home treatments are not for the patient who is suffering from diabetes, poor blood circulation and nerve damaged.