In this article, you will find some natural ways to lower high blood pressure. Hypertension occurs when the exertion of blood that is pushing against the inside lining of the arteries increases and stays high for a longer period of time. This is very dangerous as it can cause heart strokes and can cause severe damage to blood vessels and other organs. It is a silent killer, so don’t wait for symptoms and regularly check your blood pressure.
Natural Ways to Lower High Blood Pressure
1. Foods to Lower High Blood Pressure:
Your blood pressure is very much affected by your diet and lifestyle. Eating salty and junk food can make your blood pressure high. Healthy eating can help you to maintain your blood pressure. Here is a list of savory foods to lower high blood pressure.
- Oatmeal: This is a fiber rich food which is good for maintaining a healthy blood pressure. It lowers the systolic and diastolic pressure. It is a healthy choice as it is low in sodium. You can have this savory food as a hot cereal topped with fruit.
- Spinach: The important ingredients which are necessary for lowering and maintaining high blood pressure are magnesium, potassium, and folate. Spinach is only rich in these ingredients but is also high in fiber. This green leafy vegetable is low in calories. You can either have this in your dinner or add them to salads or sandwiches.
- Avocados: Avocados contain oleic acid, which is known to lower high blood pressure. It also minimizes your cholesterol levels. It is also a good choice for heart health as it contains potassium and folate. This fruit is rich in fiber and vitamins like A, K, E, and B.
- Celery: According to a research, eating 4 stalks of celery per day can help to lower high blood pressure. The phytochemicals present in celery helps in relaxing the muscle tissue in the artery walls. This increases the blood flow, which in turn helps in lowering high blood pressure.
- Banana: It is a good choice to lower high blood pressure as it is low in sodium and rich in potassium. This is a portable and easy peel fruit. You can banana to your cereal, bread, smoothies, and milkshakes. You can also have a banana with frozen yogurt.
- Sunflower Seeds: These seeds not only reduces your high blood pressure but also maintains your heart health. This is because of fiber, vitamin E, protein and folic acid present in it. Sunflower seeds are also loaded with magnesium which makes it a nutritious snack. It lessens your sodium intake.
- Carrots: The beta-carotene and potassium content in carrot is very effective to lower high blood pressure. It also maintains normal blood pressure by regulating the functions of heart and kidney.
- Watermelon: The amino acid called L-citrulline present in watermelon helps in lowering high blood pressure. It is a good choice for maintaining blood pressure and heart health as it is loaded with fiber, vitamin A, and potassium.
2. Herbs for Lowering Blood Pressure:
- Cardamom: This seasoning is often used in the foods of South Asia. According to a study, if a person takes powdered cardamom daily for a few months, then there is a significant reduction in blood pressure readings. You can add cardamom in soup or in baked goods.
- French Lavender: This scented herb is also known for its medicinal qualities. It induces relaxation and is an important ingredient in perfume. You can use lavender in baked goods to reduce your high blood pressure.
- Hawthorn: This herb is used in traditional Chinese medicine for reducing high blood pressure. It not only reduces blood pressure but also maintains cardiovascular health. Hawthorn increases blood circulation and prevents clot formation.
- Basil: This savory herb can be added in a variety of foods. It is a good choice to reduce high blood pressure. You can easily include this herb in your diet. Basil leaves can be added to soups, salads, pasta and casseroles.
3. Exercise to Lower High Blood Pressure:
Exercise is the key to a healthy lifestyle. It not only maintains your blood pressure but also keeps you away from other health issues. It relaxes you and makes you stress-free due to which your blood pressure in maintained. A 30- minute walk can help you to reduce your blood pressure by 4mm Hg. You should be consistent with it to maintain your blood pressure. Here is a list of exercises you can do to lower your high blood pressure.
- Strength training
4. Lower High Blood Pressure at Home:
Medications are harsh and can have side effects. The best way in which you can maintain your health is by changing your lifestyle. Here are some two main home remedies to lower high blood pressure.
- Coconut Water: This is one of the best remedies as it helps in lowering high blood pressure. Coconut water works best in its raw and organic form. It is loaded with potassium and magnesium, which is good for heart health and muscle function. Morning is an ideal time to have coconut water. You should at least drink 8 ounces of coconut water per day.
- Fish Oil: The omega 3 fatty acids make fish oil a good choice for maintaining heart health and normal blood pressure. It reduces the risk of heart attacks and increases good cholesterol. You can add fish oil in orange juice and consume it on a regular basis.
5. Healthy Weight to Lower High Blood Pressure:
One of the main causes of high blood pressure is weight gain. This is because when you are overweight, you suffer from sleep apnea (this is a condition in which disrupted breathing is caused while you sleep) which makes your blood pressure high. So if you want to control your blood pressure it is very necessary to lose weight. Losing 10 pounds of weight can help you to lower your high blood pressure. There is a greater risk of high blood pressure if you have extra pounds on your waistline.
Men having a waist measurement greater than 40 inches are at a risk. Women having a waist measurement greater than 35 inches have a greater chance of having high blood pressure.
6. Cut Your Salt Intake:
Too much sodium deranges the balance of fluid in the body. Now to remove this excess sodium from the body, water is drawn from the other tissues. Since the volume of liquid is so high that the heart works harder to pump the blood which results in high blood pressure. Here are some tips to cut your salt intake.
Tips to Decrease Sodium in Your Diet:
- Avoid Adding Salt: Instead of sodium, you can use other herbs and spices to add flavor in your food. This is because 1 teaspoon of salt contains 2300mg of sodium which can raise your blood pressure.
- Check the Food Labels: You can buy foods and beverages that are low in sodium. This way you can manage your salt intake.
- Less Processed Foods: Natural foods contain only a small amount of sodium. The rest of the salt is added during processing. You can manage your salt intake by eating less processed foods.
7. Avoid Alcohol to Lower High Blood Pressure:
According to a review of studies, if you reduce the amount of alcohol intake your blood pressure will reduce automatically. On the other side consuming alcohol in small amounts is good for health as it reduces the risk of heart diseases. Excessive alcohol can reduce its protective effects. An excess amount of alcohol also reduces the effectiveness of medications that you are taking to lower high blood pressure.
8. Avoid Coffee for Lowering High Blood Pressure:
According to Duke university medical center, consuming 3 cups of coffee in a day increases blood pressure by 4mmhg. This is because the caffeine present in a coffee can raise the blood pressure by magnifying effects of stress and tighten the blood vessels. Stress increases blood pressure as during that time the heart pumps a lot more blood.