In this article, we will be discussing a few natural remedies for UTI infection. But let’s first get to know about the UTI tract, its function and the causes of infection in the tract. The urinary tract is a part of the body, that flushes out waste, toxins and excess water from the body. Thus eliminating all the risks of various diseases and infection causing bacteria.
The Urinary tract can be divided into two parts: The Upper Urinary Tract and the Lower Urinary Tract. The upper part consists of the kidneys and the ureter whereas the lower part consists of the bladder and the urethra. The kidneys filter the eliminated waste, toxins and surplus water from the blood and this unwanted fluid is termed as urine. Which then passes down to the ureter and is stored in the bladder. Until it is ready to be passed through the urethra and flushed out of the body. This explains the process of urination. The opening of the urethra is at the front of the vagina in females and at the end of the penis in males.
The Urinary Tract Infection
It is an infection developed in any part of the urinary system that is the urinary tract. Mostly the lower part of the urinary tract is infected in many cases as evidenced, than the upper part. UTI Infections are second on the list of various other common types of infections. They can affect a human body and manage for around 8.1 million visits to the health care centers per year.
The infection is mostly evidenced in women over men. The percentage is of about 50% of the women experiencing a UTI at least once in their lifetime. Whereas, 30% of them are patients with recurring symptoms of UTI. This is due to the anatomical difference where, the urethra is shorter in women than men. It’s also closer to the anus that doubles the risk of developing an infection as the bacteria will be more likely transferred to the bladder. With each UTI the risk of developing another increase. The rate is infection is higher during pregnancy and it will most likely travel up to the kidneys. This is due to the anatomical changes affecting the urinary tract during pregnancy. This is dangerous for both the mother and the baby. So, if diagnosed during pregnancy the treatment and precautions are quickly implemented.
Causes of UTI:
UTI generally develops when the microbes manage to get past the body’s natural defenses. The bacteria that cause UTI are Escherichia coli or E Coli. This is usually found in the digestive system. Chlamydia and Mycoplasma bacteria can infect the urethra but not the bladder.
Various Factors That Cause UTI Include:
- Poor hygiene.
- Kidney stones.
- Pregnancy or Menopause.
- Suppressed immune system.
- Immobility for a longer period.
- Some Common Symptoms of UTI.
- Frequent urge to urinate.
- Bloody, painful and strong odor urine.
- Vomiting or nausea.
- Abdominal pains.
- People with catheters may also get a fever.
- Sexual Intercourse (frequent, intense and involves new partners).
- Use of tampons, spermicide or contraceptives.
- Bowel incontinence, blockage in the flow of urine or Urinary catheter.
- Heavy medications, especially antibiotics.
Natural Remedies for UTI Treatment
1.) Consume Plenty of Water
This may not sound like some other extraordinary remedies involving a magical ingredient with a number of health benefits. But trust me this is quite beneficial and it is also one of the most important parts of your daily routine. It not only keeps your body hydrated and maintains the internal body temperature. But it also helps in flushing out the toxins and unwanted waste fluids from the body. Thus eliminating all the infection causing bacteria and keeps you healthy. This makes it on of the effective natural remedies for UTI.
- All you need is a bottle of ice chilled water and a glass.
- Now pour the chilled water in the glass.
- Drink it like a fish stranded in a desert and is lurking for more.
- You need to drink 8 of glasses filled with chilled water per day, as soon as you witness the first sign of UTI.
- This will you clear out the urinary tract and make you comfortable.
- Thus, reducing the chances of developing any infection.
2.) Frequent Urination
Obviously, you will feel the urge to pee repeatedly, but all you need to do is meet the needs. Instead of controlling it as holding it just go release the pressure as controlling can increase the chances of developing an infection in your urinary tract. Frequent peeing will also help you get rid of the toxins and bacteria, eliminating the risk factors. It is also a vital part of your recovery, so do what your bladder says.
3.) Baking Soda for UTI Treatment
Baking soda proves to be a magical ingredient in treating urinary tract infections as it has alkaline substances that help to neutralize the acids present in your urine thus reducing inflammation. It also helps to ease the discomfort while urinating. Thus making it effective ingredient among all natural remedies for UTI.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of water and completely dissolve the soda granules in it.
- Pour it into a glass and drink this solution.
- Start your day with this natural remedy every morning to treat UTI
- Repeat regularly for a week to get effective results.
4.) Parsley Water Remedy
Apart from being a wonderfully refreshing after dinner drink, parsley has many health benefits which make it one among the best natural remedies for UTI treatment. It initiates the healing process by acting as a diuretic that are used to treat high blood pressure. In the case of UTI, it works by increasing the amount of sodium in the kidneys that will need more fluid during excretion and this will increase the amount of urine to keep flushing out the toxins from the body and also relieving the discomfort. So, more sodium means more water that leads to more urine.
- Boil 1-2 cups of water in a wok and add a cup of fresh parsley leaves.
- You can use 2 tablespoons of dried parsley as an alternative for fresh leaves if unavailable.
- Reduce the heat and let the water simmer, to let the leaves infuse it’s nutrients in the water.
- Do this of 6-10 minutes and then strain the water.
- Sip it hot like a tea, you can also refrigerate if you want to during the summers.
5.) Celery Seeds for UTI
Celery also acts as a diuretic due to the consistency of celery oil, butylphthalide. This will also initiate the process of urination by increasing the amount of fluid in your body. Thus, making it one among the effective natural remedies for UTI.
You can snack on a handful of celery seeds twice a day, right after taking your regular meals.
6.) Cucumbers for UTI Treatment
Cucumber is an easily available natural ingredient that can help to treat UTI. They are also healthy to snack on as a salad. Due to being a rich source of water content, they are a great way of increasing the amount of fluids in your body. Some people have a hard time drinking water, so for them, cucumber is a tasty alternative. This makes it an effective ingredient among all other natural remedies for UTI.
- Rinse and slice a cucumber and snack on it.
- You can also sprinkle some salt or herbs to enhance its taste.
7.) The 4C’s are a NO NO!
Chocolates, carbonated drinks, citrus foods and caffeine are the 4 food items that are avoided or completely banned when you are suffering from a UTI. Intake of these food items can irritate the lining of the bladder making it easier for the bacteria to adhere. Citrus foods can increase the amount of acid in your urine, causing inflammation and a burning sensation at the time of urinating.
Though some people found citrus foods really helpful in treating UTI, so it also depends on your body and its metabolism as well.
8.) It’s Not Just Pee that Hurts
When an individual suffers from a urinary tract infection, they face difficulty while urinating as they seem to feel a burning sensation in the area and sometimes even evidence blood along with the urine, thus causing pain. A Hot compress can prove to be useful to ease the pain caused in the lower abdominal area. This gentle warmth will relax the muscles, melting away the pain caused due to inflammation. Thus making it one among the effective natural remedies for UTI.
- All you need is a hot compress, or you can also use a hot water bottle as an alternative.
- The temperature of your hot compress or the water bottle should be toasty not burning hot.
- Otherwise it won’t ease any pain, but burn your skin instead.
- Wrap it in a thin towel and place it on the abdominal area, over your bladder.
- Leave the bottle in place as long as needed or up till when the water maintains the required temperature.
9.) Ginger Tea for UTI
Every list of natural remedies is considered incomplete without ginger root. Having various and uncountable health benefits makes it an ideal natural remedy for every disease and infections that can affect your body. The nutrients it has helps to block the Prostaglandin Synthesis (a process which creates little messengers and communicates a variety of biological processes, such as inflammation). Thus, reducing the inflammation caused due to infection and relieving pain. This process is similar to any OTC medication but does not involve any side effects and chemical treatments. All these benefits makes it an effective ingredient among all other natural remedies for UTI.
- Add a freshly crushed piece of ginger root to your regular recipes of tea.
- Alternatively, you can also chew 1 or 2 fresh slices of ginger root to get the same effect.
- You can also extract the ginger juice by grating it and squeezing the juice out.
- Have a spoon of this juice mixed with a little honey.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a day to get rid of a UTI.
10.) Lemon and Cream of Tartar Remedy
This is an old is gold remedy to treat a UTI. It works better than any other remedy but sometimes do not affect at all. The cream and tartar change the pH of your urine, making it unfavorable for the bacteria to thrive. Also lemon has Vitamin C that kills the infection causing bacteria.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to 1 ½ teaspoons of cream of tartar.
- Mix this with a cup of lukewarm water.
- Drink this 1-2 times a day for at least a week.
- This will fight infection and prevent from recurring.