Zzzz… Do you snore while sleeping? If yes, then this article is for you to prevent snoring. Snoring occurs when there is vibration in the respiration system which results in sound because of the obstructed air movement while breathing in sleeping. The snoring sound can be soft and sometimes very loud scaring sounds which are so unpleasant for ears. It is shown in the research that sleep deprivation is one of the factors that triggers snoring.
It is a very common problem that can happen with anyone but it mostly happens in men. The problem is very common in overweight people and has a tendency to affect the age, but it is very annoying for bed partner to sleep in snoring sound. You can get rid of snoring with consulting the doctor, but you can also prevent snoring at home by reading this article. In this article, we have shared best ways to prevent snoring.
Causes of Snoring:
- People who are overweight has a bulky throat which leads to snoring.
- Weak muscle tone in tongue and throat.
- Sinus and nasal allergy.
- A long uvula and long soft palate triggers snoring.
- Poor night sleep.
- Regular waking from the sleep.
- Pressure on the heart.
- Breathing problem.
- Light sleep.
Best Ways to Prevent Snoring
1.) Know your Snore to Get Rid of Snoring
First, know how you snore by opening or closing mouth. There are many ways which caused snoring that help you to know what kind of snoring you do while sleeping.
Close mouth snoring, close mouth snoring triggers because your tongue cause snoring, exercise, and good lifestyle change can help you to prevent snoring. Open mouth snoring, it occurs due to sinus problem and posture while sleeping in the bed which triggers snoring. Snoring caused due to apnea or other tissue that will require medical treatment.
2.) Some Consumption of Food Trigger Snoring
Consumption of sleeping pill, drinking coffee, fatty food and consumption of alcohol lead to snoring. To prevent snoring, you need to stop the consumption food especially before going to bed, which give narrow your air and make the muscle relax. Fatty food and large meal make obstruction while breathing by pushing up on your diaphragm. Smoking has many side effect on the body and also leads to snoring. Try to lose weight as the overweight people often get a snoring problem because of the bulky throat. Losing even bit weight prevent snoring. If you are taking medication frequently then talk to your doctor, maybe medication is the cause of snoring. Keep maintain the humidity in your room. As snoring triggers due to dryness. Taking the hot bath before going to bed or using a humidifier in a room prevent snoring which keeps the moisture in the channel.
3.) Sleeping Position Reduce Snoring
Correct sleeping position can help you to prevent snoring. If you sleep on the bed by laying your back then try to insert pillow in your back so that your back raised. You need to also raise your head with the help of pillow to prevent snoring. If you don’t want to sleep on your back insert a tennis ball in your t-shirt to make it very uncomfortable to roll on your back. Snoring triggers when your tongue and soft palate rest against your throat and block the passage of air. You can use mouthpiece device, as you aware about the dental appliance or mandibular advancement splints to prevent snoring. They work by bringing your jaw forward and helps to lift the soft palate. This will also prevent the tongue falling into the windpipe.
4.) Avoid Nasal Congestion to Ward off snoring
Take an antihistamine or decongestant to cure the nasal infection which causes snoring. Take temporary treatments for allergy and cold. You can use a mouthwash of peppermint to shrink the lining of your throat and nose. A headache, cold, and allergy can also cause snoring. Cleaning the curtain, changing the pillow cover and vacuum the floor to get rid of the infection that prevents snoring. Purchase a nasal strip which is easily available in the most of the pharmacy. It works by lifting and opening the nostrils to improve the airflow to prevent snoring.
Use sinus and nasal rinse to prevent snoring. As it is designed in a way to clean the debris and mucus which create a blockage in the nasal passage and prevent airflow. It completely flushes out unwanted particles in the nasal passage and also prevents snoring. Take a warm shower bath which draws out the mucus from the sinuses thus it will reduce the possibility of snoring. Even you can raise the bed from its head portion. It will reduce the amount of blockage area and mucus, so when the nasal passage won’t get blocked, you won’t snore. If you are helpless in treating the score at home, then consult the doctor for treatment.
5.) Take Support to Cure Snoring
If you have a snoring problem, then you should talk to your partner about the snoring problem. It is a physical problem, you don’t need to feel embarrassed or disgust about snoring. To avoid the argument and shouting of your partner with you, confront the snoring problem so the person won’t argue again. It will help you to avoid that angry discussion and hard discussion. If the person close to you suffering from the snoring problem from longer time then talk to that person after the dinner in calm time so the person doesn’t get offended. Discuss your concern to prevent snoring. The person who snores should take the snoring complaints seriously.
Consuming alcohol, smoking, overweight and another issue which helps to snore can also affect your relationship. This thing generally affects the family and close once. To prevent snoring reduce the consumptions of these things, especially when you are going to your bed.
6.) Home Remedies to Prevent Snoring
- Olive Oil: olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties which help to prevent snoring. The oil gives relief to the nasal tissues along the respiratory passage which help in giving the clear passage and reduce swelling. It also helps in reducing the soreness. Regular use of olive oil help in lessen the vibration in your throat and prevent snoring. For this home remedy to prevent snoring, before going to the bed take 2-3 sips of olive oil to reduce snoring and dryness. You can also consume it by combing the half teaspoon of the olive oil with honey.
- Turmeric: it is one of the home remedies to prevent snoring as it is antiseptic and antibiotic in nature. It helps in treating the inflammation and get rid of heavy snoring. You can use turmeric in a glass of warm milk to prevent snoring. It boosts your immune system and also helps you to breathe freely. Turmeric for snoring, take a glass of warm milk and add 2 teaspoons of turmeric to it and mix well. Drink this every night 30 minutes before going to bed. Do this daily to prevent snoring.
- Peppermint: it is a very effective home remedy to prevent snoring as it has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce the swelling over the membrane in the lining of nostrils and throat. It gives relief while sleeping. It works best if you snore because of temporary allergies like a cough and cold. For this remedy, you need to make a mouth wash. Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil with the help of dropped into a glass of water. Use the solution as gargle solution before going to bed. Do not swallow as it is very harmful to your body. You just simply take a little few drops of peppermint oil and apply it on both the nostrils to prevent snoring.
- Garlic: it is easily found in every home and very effective home remedy to prevent snoring. As the garlic restrict the development of mucus in the nasal passage. It is anti-inflammatory in nature that it can clean the blockage in the respiratory system which increases airflow in the nostrils. For this remedy simply chew 1-2 garlic cloves with a glass of water to prevent snoring. Do this remedy daily and before going to bed to enjoy the result. You can also add garlic as an ingredient which gives you lovely taste and prevents snoring.