After writing about how to get rid of sore throat?, how to get rid of canker sores?, and how to get rid of a sinus infection?, Here comes our next article on how to prevent tonsil stones? It is a yellow-white development that is on tonsil or within the tonsil. They are a cluster of accumulation of calcium salt in body tissue that forms in the crevices of the tonsils, which is known as tonsil stones. Tonsilloliths or tonsil has a weight between 0.3g to 42g. The main component of the tonsil stone is calcium, but it also contains magnesium, phosphorus, carbon, and ammonia. It is very hard to remove but not harmful for your body. Tonsil stones are very easy to visible and have a size like rice to pea shaped.
Some larger stones triggers swelling in the tonsils and you feel hard to swallow the food. If you are frequently suffering from the bad breath and you feel very hard to swallow the things, it may be the sign of tonsil stones. In this article, we are going to aware about how to prevent tonsil stones. Here are the best methods to prevent the tonsil stones.
Main Causes of Tonsil Stones:
- Serious chronic sinus can cause tonsil stones.
- When you have large tonsils.
- You don’t maintain the dental hygiene.
Tonsil Stones Symptoms:
- Difficulty while swallowing the food.
- A sore throat, which is painful and dry.
- Ear pain can cause due to tonsil stone.
- Swollen tonsil is extremely painful.
- White and yellow debris get collected on the tonsils.
Best Methods to Prevent Tonsil Stones
1.) Prevent Tonsils with Cotton Ball
Procedure to Follow:
- Collect the material to prevent tonsils. The necessary material and the cotton, which help in removing the tonsils from your throat. Material like flashlight lamp, mirror, running water, toothbrush and cotton balls which will help in preventing the tonsils.
- Give light to your throat with the help of the flashlight. First, open your mouth and then reflect the light in your mouth to see the location of the tonsil stones to prevent tonsil stones.
- Bend your tonsils to prevent the tonsils.Sticking out your tongue by flexing your muscles. Sound ah with tongue outside the mouth and keep tighten the muscle in the back of the throat. Keep doing like holding your breath and act like as you are gargling water. This the better way by pushing your tonsils forward so you can see it clearly.
- Ready the cotton balls to prevent tonsil stones. Dab the cotton ball in the running water so that it will not create any pain and irritation in your throat. Don’t out the cotton ball while using for the throat as it has a risk of contamination. If you put the cotton ball on any other surface and again the use of the throat will cause infection because of the bacteria and dust. Keep away the cotton ball from the germs carrying surface, including your hand, first, wash your hands while doing this application. If your cotton ball gets in touch with something like a sink or cloth, then immediately change the cotton ball.
- Gently and slowly clean the stone with the help of cotton ball to prevent tonsil stones. Keep poking the stones with cotton balls until it gets dislodged. Be aware, while doing this application as it can also cause bleeding. A little amount of bleeding is not a big issue but still try to minimize the bleeding to prevent tonsil stones. You can also cut the infected area and wound to prevent tonsil stones. Clean your mouth and brush your teeth after the bleeding get stopped.
- Rinse the mouth with water and repeat the procedure for other tonsil stones. Clean the mouth to prevent the sticking of the saliva over the tonsil stones. If you get irritated with saliva, drink a glass of water to thin the saliva.
- After cleaning all the hidden tonsil stones. Keep your thumb on the neck and under your jaw, place the index finger inside the mouth beside the tonsil and slowly try to squeeze to any stone opening. If the stones don’t appear, then means you are getting rid of tonsil stones. Be aware, while doing this application, especially your nails should not be big and hands should be washed to keep the infection away from the mouth.
- If any stubborn stone left, which is very difficult to remove with a cotton ball because it is located in the deep down in the throat. Don’t force is as it mouth contains soft tissue, which gets started bleeding if you press it hard and also cause the other problems. Gently nudge the toothbrush over the tonsil stone to prevent tonsil stones so that the root of tonsil stone get loose. After removes this application it with the help of cotton ball. If after doing this procedure stone won’t come out of the throat, then gargle regularly for a few days then try this method again. If this method won’t work to prevent tonsil stone, then use the irrigation method to get rid of tonsil stones.
2.) Oral Irrigation Method to Prevent Tonsil Stones
Procedure to Follow:
- Oral irrigation is another method to prevent tonsil stones. As it is a water pick use to clean the cavity and debris located in the mouth of teeth or throat. It also pushes the stone out of cavities. First, test it out on your tonsils before you think to purchase to prevent tonsil stones as the water comes with a pressure that it can hurt your mouth. Don’t buy the oral irrigation to extract the stone from the tonsils. It is basically for cleaning purpose of the cavity located on the tonsils.
- If you have made up your mind to buy the oral irrigation then use it on its lowest setting. Keep the oral irrigation in the mouth but do not touch the stone with oral irrigation. Set the oral irrigation on its lowest setting before you place inside in the mouth. Start the oral irrigation and direct the steam into the tonsil stones to prevent tonsil stones. Keep continue until the stone gets dislodged.
- After the oral irrigation application, remove the stone with the help of cotton ball. As the oral irrigation does not remove the stone, but it helps in losing the root of the tonsil stones, so with the help of cotton ball, you can remove it easily after the oral irrigation.
3.) Natural Ways to Prevent Tonsil Stones
Procedure to Follow:
- Salt Water Gargle for Tonsil stones, it mostly forms when the food left to get stuck in the tonsil cracks. The salt water is the best natural way to prevent tonsil stones. Saltwater fights against the bacteria and kills the germs that cause infection. It also cures the bad breath that causes the tonsil stones. Salt water is very important to gargle with salt water after taking the every meal to dissolve the debris and get rid of the infection. It also flushes out the garbage which gets stuck on the tonsil while eating food. For this remedy to prevent tonsil stones, you need to take 3 teaspoons of the table salt and 2 glasses of water. Add the salt in a water and boil it. Let it cool and starting gargling with this solution about 2-3 times in a day.
- Drink more water to prevent tonsil stones, when the body stay hydrated then there are fewer chances for microorganism survival. It is important to keep your body hydrated as it will also help in preventing the sticking of food in your mouth which cause cavity and tonsil stones. Drink more and more water for the cleaning of the flotsam, cavity and jetsam prevent tonsil stones. To get rid of tonsil stones it’s important to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily. In morning, drink 2 glasses of water before taking any meal.
- Essential oils are very beneficial in treating tonsil stones. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties present in essential oils cure the tonsil stones inside the throat. Some of the essential oils are myrrh, lemongrass and theives oil. You can either spray one of these oil directly on the affected area or use them while brushing your teeth.
4.) Foods Items to Prevent Tonsil Stones:
Procedure to Follow:
- Chew garlic to prevent tonsil stones, as the garlic has anti-bacterial properties which help in removing the microorganism that causes tonsil stones. Tonsil diseases are the type of disease caused by the bacteria and garlic work best to prevent tonsil stones. For this method to prevent tonsil stones, you need to simply chew the garlic to get rid of the tonsil stones.
- Plain yogurt can help you to get rid of tonsils. Yogurt contains probiotic which uproots the destructive microorganisms. All you need to do is eat plain yogurt atleast 3 times a day. Consume one cup of yogurt after breakfast, half a cup after lunch and one cup after dinner.
- You already know that ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’. But do you know that an apple a day keeps the tonsils away. Yes, the acidic and astringent nature of apple cleans the teeth and keeps the tonsils at bay. When you chew apple your teeth are scrubbed and your gums are cleaned. It not only prevents tonsil stones but also improves oral health.
- One of the common symptoms of tonsil stones is bad breath. Onions will help you to get rid of bad breath. The presence of anti-bacterial properties in onion prevent oral infections. All you need to do is chew slices of raw onion each day for atleast 4 to 5 minutes to prevent tonsil stones.
- Carrots can be a great help if you want to remove and prevent tonsil stones. When you chew carrots the saliva flows inside the throat which kills all the bacteria. So, all you need to do is chew a few chunks of carrot per day to prevent tonsil stones.