‘Quitting alcohol is tough, but it is worth enough’. Alcoholism is a bad habit that can cause you physical and mental problems. People think that it is the easiest way to deal with the problems of life, but they forget that if you numb the pain it will become worse when you actually feel it. Same applies to the problems of life. This addiction will make you miss all the wonderful moments of life. It will stop the opportunities from knocking your door. Don’t worry, nothing is impossible and you can try the natural ways to quit drinking that are given in our article.
Natural Ways to Quit Drinking:
1. Healthy Diet to Quit Drinking:
When you are trying to quit alcohol, there are cravings which can make it difficult for you. You will feel the desire to run from all the anxiety, depression, and unpleasant feelings. The trigger for your cravings can be people, places or certain situations. Though willpower is necessary to control yourself but here are some foods that can help you to quit drinking and cut those cravings.
Fruits and Vegetables: They can help you in reducing the alcohol craving as they are packed with fiber that helps in maintaining the sugar level. Your liver is very much affected because of alcohol consumption. Nutrient rich foods help to protect your liver and make your immune system strong. When you drink alcohol your body loses essential vitamins through malabsorption. Fresh fruits and vegetables will provide your body with all the vitamins that are necessary.
Carbohydrates: When you drink too much alcohol it becomes like a fuel which your body needs. This increases your craving. The low sugar level can also increase your craving to drink alcohol. Eating complex carbohydrates, which are rich in fiber like legumes, whole grain bread, cereals, vegetables, and fruits will help your body to maintain the sugar level which will control your cravings for alcohol.
Foods Containing L-Glutamine: This is an amino acid which acts as a fuel for your brain. It will increase your ability to sleep and hence will reduce your negative emotions and cut your cravings. It is a good choice to quit drinking as it reduces your desire for alcohol. Raw spinach and parsley are a good source of L-Glutamine.
2. Acupuncture Points to Treat Alcoholism:
Acupuncture is a Chinese practice in which thin needles are inserted into the skin at the prescribed energy points. It helps in balancing the person’s natural energy. Most of the people are mostly addicted to alcohol because they feel it is the best way to deal with all the problems of life and the negative emotions. Acupuncture is a good choice if you are using it alongside other methods to quit drinking. There are three big organizations that help people to deal with this problem are NADA, EAR, and SMART-UK.
Main Elements of Acupuncture Session:
- Puncturing: It only requires a few needles that cause a little pain because of insertion.
- Manipulation: After inserting the needles in prescribed points the acupuncturist will apply heat or slightly twirl it.
- Removal: After a certain period of times the needles are removed painlessly and quickly.
When you will press this acupuncture point in the temples your brain will activate those areas that govern concentration, stress, obsession, memory and addiction. Here are some self-acupressure points you can practice by yourself to break the addiction.
Directions to Follow:
- Place your fingers on your temples which are just outside your eyebrows.
- Keep your thumb between the lower and upper jaws.
- Press the muscles that pop out when you chew something.
- Pretend as if you are chewing by clenching your teeth and then release.
- Do this in a rhythmic pattern.
- Each time when you do this a muscle should pop out in the temple area.
- Take a long, deep breath and exert pressure on these points while continuing the muscle movement.
- Continue doing this for atleast 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stay Social to Quit Drinking:
Depression, fear, anxiety, loneliness, unpleasant situations and negative emotions are the main reasons behind alcohol consumption. If you really want to quit drinking, then you can ask the assistance of your friends. You can make positive changes in your life. One of the positive changes you can make is staying social. Be with your friends so that your mind stays away from all the negative emotions. Make plans and schedule activities to keep your temptations away. Stay with happy people and avoid staying alone. You can take up a new sport or join an art class to keep yourself busy. Healthy interactions will help you to give up on this bad habit.
4. Yoga to Give Up Drinking:
Stress, depression, and emotional struggles are a big reason for drinking alcohol. Yoga can help you to quit drinking as it reestablishes the connection between minds and bodies. It not only improves your physical strength but also your mental strength. It helps you to deal with all the problems of your life and hence keeps you away from this bad habit.
Yoga Postures to Quit Drinking:
- Marichyasana: This exercise helps to stimulate the brain and mental organs. It helps with depression and stress, which are the main causes of alcohol addiction.
- Baddha Konasana: Many people drink because they have guilt for certain things. This exercise helps the mind to remain peaceful and guilt free.
- Viparita Karini: This exercise improves the blood circulation and increases mental energy which is necessary for overcoming alcohol addiction.
- Balasana: It increases your willpower and relieves mental stress by improving the blood circulation in the brain.
5. Bitter Gourd to Quit Alcohol:
It not only helps in controlling the desire of alcohol but also heals your damaged liver. Bitter gourd not only curbs the craving but also controls your appetite. It will detoxify your body and will help you to quit this bad habit. Alcohol also damages your kidney which can lead you to death. Bitter gourd helps in curing our damaged kidney. Drink a glass of bitter gourd every morning to quit drinking.
6. Juice Diet to Quit Drinking:
Fruit Juices are a good choice to leave your addiction as it will detoxify your body and will motivate you or a healthy lifestyle. This is an inexpensive method that will help you to quit drinking. Here is a list of fruit juices you should try to give up alcohol.
- Carrot Juice: This will detoxify your body and especially your kidneys. Carrot juice will not only curb your desire for alcohol but will also improve your digestive system. Drink atleast one glass of carrot juice daily to quit drinking.
- Cabbage Juice: It is a good choice for the detoxification process. It helps in better digestion and relieves from constipation. Cabbage juice helps the proper functioning of the liver and reduces the risk of cancer. It is one of the powerful intestinal cleansers.
- Grapes: This fruit is very powerful in reducing the desire for alcohol. It not only detoxifies your body but mends the damage that is caused due to consumption of alcohol. Eating a lot of grapes daily with a multivitamin for sure will help you to quit drinking.
7. Herbs to Give Up Drinking:
Herbs are a good choice to give up alcohol as they detoxify the body and removes the waste products. They modify your internal balance and blood composition and hence reduces the cravings for alcohol. You can try this to see improvements in your mental and physical state.
- Milk Thistle: This is one of the best herbs for detoxification. It increases the ability of the liver to remove the alcohol from the blood. Due to excessive consumption of alcohol the liver suffers from a disease known as cirrhosis. Milk thistle helps in treating this disease and reduces cravings for alcohol.
- Goldenseal: There are certain bacteria in the intestines that contribute to alcohol cravings. Goldenseal kills these bacteria and desensitizes the mouth from bitter taste which reduces the urge for alcohol.
- Dandelion Root: When you drink too much alcohol the excretion of bile in your body is lowered. Dandelion root increases the excretion of bile in the body. It curbs the desire of alcohol and hence helps you to quit drinking.
8. Cayenne to Quit Alcohol:
Cayenne is an excellent remedy to quit alcohol as it regulates the appetite by providing nutrients to the body and restores the balance of the digestive system. People who are addicted to alcohol often suffer morning sickness. Cayenne deals well with this problem by reducing anxiety and nervousness. It induces a calming sensation and promotes a good sleep.