After writing how to get rid of cough?, how to get rid of a cold?, and how to get rid of a fever?, we are now writing home remedies for bronchitis. Bronchitis is a common respiratory disease, which causes swelling and inflammation of the bronchial tubes that are between the nose and lungs. The inflammation of bronchial tubes causes excess production of mucus that leads to the formation of a cough. Acute and chronic are the two types of bronchitis. Acute bronchitis is caused by the virus that is responsible for cold. This condition lasts for a few days. Chronic bronchitis is caused by smoking and this condition requires medical attention.
Causes of Bronchitis:
- Temperature changes
- Dusty air.
- Virus that cause a cold
Symptoms of Bronchitis:
- Chest pain
- Muscle ache
- A dry cough
- Yellowish color of mucus.
- Cough with a thick amount of mucus
- Breathing problem
- Cough last for more than 2 months
Best Home Remedies for Bronchitis
1.) Honey to Get Rid of Bronchitis:
This is one of the best remedies for bronchitis as it fights the bacteria that causes it. Honey helps in easing the cough from the phlegm. It is a good choice to quell the coughing that occurs during the sleep. Honey is a natural treatment to soothe the throat. It alleviates congestion that can occur with a cough. Honey soothes the throat due to which consuming foods and beverages become easier. It is a good choice to boost the immune system. Read health benefits of honey.
How to Use Honey for Bronchitis?
Follow the steps given below:
- You can add one teaspoon of honey to your favorite tea to get benefited.
- Make a paste of honey, ginger, cloves and black pepper. Consume this daily to treat bronchitis.
- Coat the slices of onion with a thick layer of honey. Leave it overnight. Remove the honey from the onion slices. Consume honey twice or thrice a day to cure bronchitis.
- If you want to reduce inflammation you can add honey in a glass of lemon water. Drink this for quick relief.
2.) Garlic to Treat Bronchitis:
Garlic is used for medicinal purposes due to the presence of Organosulphur compounds. When you chop a garlic , a compound alliinase is released that leads to the creation of organosulphur compounds. It contains antibiotic properties, which are very beneficial to get rid of bronchitis. This is one of the amazing remedies for bronchitis.
How to Use Garlic for Bronchitis?
- Peel 3 to 4 cloves of garlic.
- Finely chop them and add in a glass of milk.
- Boil the milk for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drink this every night before going to bed.
3.) Turmeric for Bronchitis:
Turmeric helps to get rid of the respiratory, circulatory and digestive infection and diseases, which in turn makes it a good choice for treating bronchitis. The carminative and anti-viral nature make it one of the amazing remedies for bronchitis. The curcumin in turmeric helps to get rid of inflammation of lungs that is caused due to bronchitis.
How to Use Turmeric for Bronchitis?
- In one glass of milk, add one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Boil the milk for a few minutes.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times a day to get relief.
Note: This will be more beneficial if you drink it on an empty stomach.
4.) Eucalyptus Oil to Cure Bronchitis:
The antispasmodic and expectorant compounds in eucalyptus make it a great choice for treating bronchitis. The expectorant compound cineole fights the respiratory problems and gives relief from a cough. Eucalyptus oil softens the mucous that obstruct the airways. All these qualities of eucalyptus make it among the amazing remedies for bronchitis.
How to Use Eucalyptus Oil for Bronchitis:
- Boil a large pot of water.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Bring your face to the pot and cover it with a towel so that the fumes do not escape.
- Inhale the steam to get instant relief.
- You can also rub eucalyptus oil on the chest to expel the mucus.
- Repeat the remedy to get rid of bronchitis.
5.) Ginger for Bronchitis:
This is among the best remedies for bronchitis. The juice of fresh ginger is known for its medicinal properties. It relieves inflammation by reducing the mucus in the throat. It’s immune boosting action is good for bronchitis. The anti-inflammatory nature of ginger will provide you relief from irritated and swollen lungs.
How to Use Ginger for Bronchitis:
Follow the steps given below:
- Take a hot cup of water and add a half teaspoon of chopped ginger.
- Add a half teaspoon of cinnamon and cloves to make a tea/soup.
- Drink this tea for a few days to get rid of bronchitis.
- In a cup boiling water add one teaspoon of powdered black pepper / clove.
- Add one teaspoon of ginger powder.
- Allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add honey and drink this two times a day.
6.) Lemon to Get Rid of Bronchitis:
Lemon helps to expel the mucus in the throat and lungs. The vitamin C in lemon can cure respiratory infections such as bronchitis. It is acidic in nature due to which all the bacteria will be destroyed, that are responsible for bronchitis. All these qualities of lemon make it one of the best remedies for bronchitis.
How to Use Lemon for Bronchitis:
- In one cup of warm water, add one tablespoon of lime juice.
- Gargle with this water to get relief.
- Alternatively, cut a lemon into slices.
- Add these lemon wedges in boiling water.
- Allow the water to boil for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it to get instant relief.
7.) Herbs to Treat Bronchitis:
- Coltsfoot’s Tea: Tussilago farfara is the latin name of this herb which means persecutor of a cough.This is one of the best remedies for bronchitis. The reason behind this is that it acts as a respiratory disinfectant. It is loaded with diuretic, styptic and expectorant properties which make it useful for treating bronchitis. It is also a good choice for an asthma and whooping cough. Pregnant women should avoid this as it raises the blood pressure.
- Plantain Tea: The anti-catarrhal, astringent and diuretic properties of plantain make it one of the best remedies for bronchitis. It is also a good choice to get rid of respiratory tract disorders. Pregnant women and people prone to blood clots should avoid this herb.
- Thyme: This plant with a strong smell is known for its healing properties. It contains 40% thymol which is used against respiratory disorders such as a bronchitis and whooping cough. The antibiotic and astringent substances in thyme makes it one of the amazing remedies for bronchitis.
- Horsetail Tea: The blood staunching and soothing properties of this herb makes it one of the best remedies for bronchitis. It has a mild diuretic effect and has astringent substances. People suffering from heart or kidney disorders should avoid horsetail tea.
8.) Orange to Treat Bronchitis:
The richness of vitamin C in orange not only soothes the throat but also increases the immunity. It helps to bring the phlegm out by making the throat wet. It also has a lot of minerals and vitamins that are good for a sore throat. The only thing that you need to remember is that don’t eat solid food for a few days to reduce the symptoms of bronchitis.
How to Use Orange for Bronchitis:
- Grind one teaspoon of almonds.
- Mix it in a glass of orange juice.
- Drink this every day before sleeping.
9.) Sesame Seeds for Bronchitis:
This ingredient gives quick relief from the chest pain that is associated with bronchitis. It reduces the symptoms of chronic bronchitis. This is one of the best remedies for bronchitis.
How to Use Sesame Seeds for Bronchitis:
- In two tablespoons of water, add half a teaspoon of sesame powder.
- Drink this twice a day to get relief from the symptoms of bronchitis.
10.) Salt Water Gargle to Cure Bronchitis:
This is an amazing choice as it melts the mucus that causes irritation and soothes the inflamed throat. You just have to add a pinch of rock salt to a glass of hot water. Gargle with this solution to experience the effective results. Don’t add too much salt otherwise, it will cause a burning sensation in the throat.